Keeping Barrie/Defense Past This Season

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We should be able to sign one of Barrie or Muzzin and then they sign another cheap serviceable "D"

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't know about you guys, but I think the reason you stockpile bottom 6 forward depth is to use it. You have to have 4-5 of your bottom 6 players on cheap deals so that you can afford a legitimate top 6, a stud goalie and a well rounded, balanced defense core that includes a great top 4. I also think you need cheap, effective scoring from your third line.

This would be my 2020 team if I could pull it off. It gives Toronto a 5+ year window as a cup contender, IMO, if Ilya Mikheyev is good enough to step up into the top 6...

Let's say for argument sake it's a $83 million dollar cap in 2020.

1. I would trade William Nylander and Travis Dermott to Carolina for Brett Pesce , Julian Gauthier and a pick. I don't want to lose Nylander but if we can get 80% of his production from Mikheyev, at half the price, I make that trade all day and get a future stud in Gauthier who can play now and an ultra reliable, still improving D-man in Pesce. Dermott isn't a huge loss. Sandin is going to be better and Liljergren is going to be similar.

2. I would trade Kasperi Kapanen for a 1st round pick or quality defensive prospect.

3. Sign Alex Pietrangelo and let Tyson Barrie walk

Andreas Johnson (3.4) / Auston Matthews (11.6) / Ilya Mikheyev (3.0)
Zack Hyman (2.25) / John Tavares (11.0) / Mitch Marner (10.9)
Trevor Moore (775k) / Alexander Kerfoot (3.5) / Julian Gauthier (863k)
Dmytro Timashov (925k) / Jason Spezza (700k) / Yegor Korshkov (925k)
Kenny Agostino (737K) or Jeremy Bracco (842k)

Morgan Reilly (5.0) / Brett Pesce (4.0)
Jake Muzzin (5.0) /Alex Pietrangelo (9.0)
Timothy Liljegren (863k) / Rasmus Sandin (894k)
Martin Marincin (900k)

Frederik Anderson (5.0)
Michael Hutchinson (700k)

Phil Kessel (1.2)

Total: $83 million

If Ilya Mikheyev is the player I think he is going to be, that looks like a cup contending team to me. Julian Gauthier adds some much needed size and strength and is going to be a stud, top 6 goal scorer... And that D-core... An elite offensive guy and a well rounded 2 way guy on each of the top 2 pairings, with young studs playing insulated minutes on the third pairing. What's not to love about that group of blueliners?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
6F8E2BDD-683D-4768-A897-968527D6B454.png

This works with a cap of 84.5 million with about 500k to spare. I just used plug ins for extras so we might be able to save a few hundred k

The only trade I made was mango for nutivara.
Any d under 3.5 mill would work. Could try to get like hamonic or tanev for cheap.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I don't know about you guys, but I think the reason you stockpile bottom 6 forward depth is to use it. You have to have 4-5 of your bottom 6 players on cheap deals so that you can afford a legitimate top 6, a stud goalie and a well rounded, balanced defense core that includes a great top 4. I also think you need cheap, effective scoring from your third line.

This would be my 2020 team if I could pull it off. It gives Toronto a 5+ year window as a cup contender, IMO, if Ilya Mikheyev is good enough to step up into the top 6...

Let's say for argument sake it's a $83 million dollar cap in 2020.

1. I would trade William Nylander and Travis Dermott to Carolina for Brett Pesce , Julian Gauthier and a pick. I don't want to lose Nylander but if we can get 80% of his production from Mikheyev, at half the price, I make that trade all day and get a future stud in Gauthier who can play now and an ultra reliable, still improving D-man in Pesce. Dermott isn't a huge loss. Sandin is going to be better and Liljergren is going to be similar.

2. I would trade Kasperi Kapanen for a 1st round pick or quality defensive prospect.

3. Sign Alex Pietrangelo and let Tyson Barrie walk

Andreas Johnson (3.4) / Auston Matthews (11.6) / Ilya Mikheyev (3.0)
Zack Hyman (2.25) / John Tavares (11.0) / Mitch Marner (10.9)
Trevor Moore (775k) / Alexander Kerfoot (3.5) / Julian Gauthier (863k)
Dmytro Timashov (925k) / Jason Spezza (700k) / Yegor Korshkov (925k)
Kenny Agostino (737K) or Jeremy Bracco (842k)

Morgan Reilly (5.0) / Brett Pesce (4.0)
Jake Muzzin (5.0) /Alex Pietrangelo (9.0)
Timothy Liljegren (863k) / Rasmus Sandin (894k)
Martin Marincin (900k)

Frederik Anderson (5.0)
Michael Hutchinson (700k)

Phil Kessel (1.2)

Total: $83 million

If Ilya Mikheyev is the player I think he is going to be, that looks like a cup contending team to me. Julian Gauthier adds some much needed size and strength and is going to be a stud, top 6 goal scorer... And that D-core... An elite offensive guy and a well rounded 2 way guy on each of the top 2 pairings, with young studs playing insulated minutes on the third pairing. What's not to love about that group of blueliners?

Ewww. I love how Carolina just trades us pesce because reasons and I love moving out controlled talent for 1sts because of fantasy... So cringe...

Note to other posters. We are not going to trade ANYONE of our roster for picks until Matthews, tavares,marner and nylanders deals are done at the EARLIEST. ...facepalm

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You're usually decent at player analysis but I have no idea where you went with this one.

There's a damn good reason Barrie led TOI for the Avs by as much as he did in the playoffs.
Don't get me wrong I like Barrie but at 8M+ per LT with the CBA CAP in place I don't. Same reason Avs unloaded him. Again don't get me wrong I love the way he skates puck up the ice. If he wants to stay at 5M LT then I'm good with him and trade Dermott. But Dermy at 2.5M per looks at lot better to me than Barrie at 8M+. and my opinion Dermy a little better defender than Barrie. Barrie clearly a ton better offensively.

We need 3 puck movers and 3 defenders. Next year we will have Rielly Dermott and Sandin as our puck movers. Muzzy Ceci? Lily? as our defenders.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
If it comes down to it we gotta sign Barrie at the expense of Muzzin.
Great puck mover.
Ofcourse Dermotts taking a step is so important.
Love to get AP. But too much $$$ id think.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I love Pietrangelo, but at the expected price (9m+), it doesn't make sense unless we undergo a large upheavel.

We need to sign Muzzin or Barrie (possibly just Muzzin since he will be cheaper) and the rest of the $ goes to re-signing the rest of our defense and filling out the roster moving forward.

We spend 9m on Pietrangelo and I have no idea how we have room for Rielly when we re-sign him without butchering our depth.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ewww. I love how Carolina just trades us pesce because reasons and I love moving out controlled talent for 1sts because of fantasy... So cringe...

Note to other posters. We are not going to trade ANYONE of our roster for picks until Matthews, tavares,marner and nylanders deals are done at the EARLIEST. ...facepalm

You're forgetting Andersen in two years and Rielly in three.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Cap goes up. Rielly won't shred us like the kids have and we may lose Anderson... It will all work out
Rielly will want top dollar too, having watched the Me three take Dubas to the cleaners. There is NO WAY his agent doesn't want a BIG payday too! JMHO.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If Ceci keeps it up, he should be a priority to re-sign as well. It shouldn't break the bank either.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
How is losing a franchise goalie "working out?"

Even if they have the Cap space giving a large contract to an aging Freddy will never be a good idea. You find a new one. You're not scrambling to find one immediately so they should already have a plan in place by the time it comes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Even if they have the Cap space giving a large contract to an aging Freddy will never be a good idea. You find a new one. You're not scrambling to find one immediately so they should already have a plan in place by the time it comes.

Between prime Belfour and Freddy, it took about a decade to find a goalie. So yeah.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Giving Freddy a large contract after this one at his age is objectively a terrible idea. If he'll take a short deal that's a different story.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It all depends on if we know what Mo's ask will be. He needs to be priority.

I'd like to shed Kerfoot too. We were warned by Avalanche fans, and he's dissapointed, just as they said he would.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
I would like to give him a 2 year extension.

I'd be happy to give him a 2 year extension (Also dependent on Woll/Scott's development, I'd hope by the time Freddy's first contract expires one of them has become an up and coming young tender who has our back up spot on lock and looks ready to step into the Starter role).

I just don't see him being happy to take a 2 year extension.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd be happy to give him a 2 year extension (Also dependent on Woll/Scott's development, I'd hope by the time Freddy's first contract expires one of them has become an up and coming young tender who has our back up spot on lock and looks ready to step into the Starter role).

I just don't see him being happy to take a 2 year extension.

One situation to monitor would be the Braden Holtby scenario. He's due for a contract extension but Washington but they have a viable goalie of the future in Ilya Samsonov. In a couple of years we might have a good replacement in Scott or Woll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad