Keeping Barrie/Defense Past This Season

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Yeah, a team going for a cup run is going to trade away a top player just because.....
In a heart beat. We traded for Barrie, because management had no room to negotiate with Gardener. Besides Muzzin, who will protect Andersen? Come the trade deadline management will need to go after a shut down guy. The Blues look like a good fit for Barrie. They have what we need, and we have what they need.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
With the Justin Faulk signing in St Louis, him and Barrie are comparable in that they're great on PP and a right-handed shot.

Do you think the contract given to Faulk today increases Barrie's #, decreases it, or stays the same?

Don't see how it wouldn't increase the ask. Barrie has exceeded or matched Faulk's season high in points multiple times.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Are you seriously suggesting selling at the TD?
Only selling Barrie under 4 conditions: we get a 1st rounder in deepest draft in years, if Sandin shows he can produce at NHL level, Dermott comes back like before and Ceci plays like I expect which is top 4. But we need to draft another D man who can make an impact in 2-3 years who has a much broader game than pure offense. I think Barrie was a 1 year patch anyways due to CAP and we need to save some space for Rielly.

Reactions: Twowingcantfly

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think it's Ceci that is brought back, and Kappy goes sometime around Christmas for a RHD with retention with an extra year on their deal. Thought being Martinez or Savard.

Also depending on their seasons I could see the likes of Tanev/Pysk taking fairly low cap deals to try and jump start their careers again

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Only selling Barrie under 4 conditions: we get a 1st rounder in deepest draft in years, if Sandin shows he can produce at NHL level, Dermott comes back like before and Ceci plays like I expect which is top 4. But we need to draft another D man who can make an impact in 2-3 years who has a much broader game than pure offense. I think Barrie was a 1 year patch anyways due to CAP and we need to save some space for Rielly.
Fair enough points I guess. The only issue with this is that if we're close to the top of the conference at the TD, there is 0% chance that we will be selling Barrie to another playoff team for a low 1st. Dubas acquired Muzzin and Barrie for a deep run THIS YEAR. These are HIS major adds to the d-core for this run.

Even if we shit the bed as a result of a bunch of injuries like Tampa a few years ago and are out of the playoff picture, I would bet that it would be Muzzin that gets sold and Barrie gets resigned in the offseason.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fair enough points I guess. The only issue with this is that if we're close to the top of the conference at the TD, there is 0% chance that we will be selling Barrie to another playoff team for a low 1st. Dubas acquired Muzzin and Barrie for a deep run THIS YEAR. These are HIS major adds to the d-core for this run.

Even if we **** the bed as a result of a bunch of injuries like Tampa a few years ago and are out of the playoff picture, I would bet that it would be Muzzin that gets sold and Barrie gets resigned in the offseason.
Agreed. Not sure about Muzzy or Barrie? But a lot will have to do with the CAP and what both want. I have to admit I am biased for Muzzy.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Agreed. Not sure about Muzzy or Barrie? But a lot will have to do with the CAP and what both want. I have to admit I am biased for Muzzy.

To be very honest if we keep playing Ceci beside Rielly, we could easily increase his value by a lot.
Knowing that Dermott is likely going to excel in the top-4 (A hopeful assumption here, but whatever), we could play him beside Rielly where he could excel. Marincin would go back to his 3rd pair spot beside Sandin.

In return, we would get a potential 1st round pick (in a deep draft) plus the 4.5 million cap-space freed up, leaving us money to trade for whatever needed.

Start of season (till Dermott comes back):
Rielly - Ceci, Muzzin - Barrie, Sandin - Marincin
When Dermot comes back:
Rielly - Ceci, Muzzin - Barrie, Sandin - Dermott*
At the TDL, trade Ceci and promote from within:
Rielly - Dermott*, Muzzin - Barrie, Sandin - Marincin

It's a win-win situation. We don't get worse. In fact we probably get better by playing Dermott in an increased role and not just 12 minutes a night. The 1st rounder and cap space at the TDL is a big win.

Of course this is all assuming that either one of Sandin or Dermott excels massively.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No point in retaining both Muzzin and Barrie with both requiring expansion protection.

St. Louis acquiring and extending Faulk makes me curious about Pietro. He would be the perfect acquisition.

Kerfoot/Kapanen/Johnsson are basically competing for two spots on the 2020-21 Leafs, so don't be surprised to see one moved.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No point in retaining both Muzzin and Barrie with both requiring expansion protection.

St. Louis acquiring and extending Faulk makes me curious about Pietro. He would be the perfect acquisition.

Kerfoot/Kapanen/Johnsson are basically competing for two spots on the 2020-21 Leafs, so don't be surprised to see one moved.

Expansion protection issues can be avoided via side deals.

Not to say it's not a concern, but the team will move futures to keep a proven #2/3 guys 10/10

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019

This is the same scenario I envisioned. With Faulk in the fold it is unlikely St. Louis will still be interested in Barrie. Keeping my fingers crossed. I agree with your assessment of Kerfoot/Kapanen/Johnsson also. I like Kapanen a lot. Potential 30g 70p guy here.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

Not to say it's not a concern, but the team will move futures to keep a proven #2/3 guys 10/10

We are likely going to have to pay a steep cost at expansion

It's going to suck

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Or putting all money in signing. Bonus/ poison pill.

Ie sign muzzin for 5 x 5. Just say.

Make his max salary years all signing bonuses the 2 years after expansion.

Son

Year 1’ 2.5 mill in SB.
Year 2. 7.5 mill max SB
Year 3 7.5 mill max SB.
Year 4 5 mill max Sb
Year 5 2.5

So an expansion team would have to pay 13 million for muzzin I. 12 months. Unlikely

horner

May 22, 2007
Rielly Ceci
Sandin Muzzin
Dermot. ?

Love Sandin's game ( takes the place of Barrie )
Ceci so far really like his game
Muzzin brings sandpaper and size like Ceci
6 and 7 dman we have a number of choices
Marincin ljiligren
Harpur and Gravel if we don't lose them to waivers this yr

If we trade Johnson and kappy we can keep Barrie

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We are likely going to have to pay a steep cost at expansion

It's going to suck

Losing one non-core player is not going to be anything to get ones shorts in a bunch over. It will be the equivalent of letting a bottom 6 forward, a bottom 3 d or a back up goalie go. And it will free up a spot for cheaper up and coming prospects to compete for.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Yep those are options. If Kerfoot doesn’t work out as a C. Then you can trade him for cheaper options. Or mango.

Either way. There are tons of free agents on the market. We will have 8-11 million in cap. For 2 D.

We will be fine.

Who’s Mango?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Ok. We will wait till next summer and you can post in bewilderment then.
Barrie is not getting 10m. Not from anyone. This board is not always undercutting either. Where are all the Mitch at 13m people? Kadri at 8m? What were Mango and Kappy supoosed to get again?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
My goodness people. We are not trading Barrie for a first unless this team absolutely collapses. Rielly is two years out, not an issue at the moment.

Reactions: Buds17

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Barrie is not getting 10m. Not from anyone. This board is not always undercutting either. Where are all the Mitch at 13m people? Kadri at 8m? What were Mango and Kappy supoosed to get again?

What barrie gets from another team will not reflect on the amount he will want to stay HERE.

You get that yet?

There are other team salary expectations and then there is the Toronto Maple Leafs. If that hasn't been made evident to you by the fact that all of our talent is overpaid to some degree, then you are living with your head in the sand. To stay here, Barrie will want 9+.

And I still say that Barrie will get 9+ somewhere else as well.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Ideally I would love to see;

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Barrie
Sandin - Liljegren

Next year. It's workable under the cap, but going to need some flexible changes.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
What barrie gets from another team will not reflect on the amount he will want to stay HERE.

You get that yet?

There are other team salary expectations and then there is the Toronto Maple Leafs. If that hasn't been made evident to you by the fact that all of our talent is overpaid to some degree, then you are living with your head in the sand. To stay here, Barrie will want 9+.

And I still say that Barrie will get 9+ somewhere else as well.
I think your recency bias is showing. I do admire your dedication to your opinion but unless the cap increases significantly I dont see anyone giving a 30 year old Tyson Barrie that kind of money long term.. And that includes us. You can throw Matthews and Marner around all you want but it's just not even close to the same situation.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

There's no selling Tyson Barrie at the deadline. That's a) not what contending teams do, and b) doesn't even clear enough cap space to be able to replace him.

Ultimately, if I was the Leafs, I wouldn't be talking extension with Barrie at this point. He's coming off a 59 point season anyways.

The guy I'd be looking to talk extension with is Muzzin -- we have nobody who can replace his skillset. For Barrie, let the season shake out, see how it works having both him & Rielly, then maybe look at Pietrangelo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad