News Article: Keefe planning for Mid December Training Camp...

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He plays fearless ... he lacks understanding of where he needs to be a lot so he needs normal grooming from a vet who can show him shift to shift and then explain on bench ... Bogo or Muzzy will help ... but he has skills he is close to Rielly on wheels and his hands are ok and he can wipe someone out too ... Rielly will never be a guy who has great hands or take a big hit to make a play but he can fly and he is getting better at knowing where to go in his own end ... but Rielly needs a stabilizing guy who can hunt down pucks and free up pucks to Rielly who can fly up ice with it ... i am still unsure if Brodie will fit perfectly as da pair may struggle to get pucks in our end but lets hope Brodie can do it ... Bogo is too slow to move up with Rielly and Holl is nowhere close to skilled enough ... and Dermy needs a couple more years to be ready
Rielly/Brodie
Muzzin/?
Dermott/?
?
Thats what i have ha

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He was just off for weeks man with covid and left the team now. Different league. Most would say I don’t know much about him but no you’ve scouted his Khl games. I’ve seen highlights of him. Tells me nothing about how he will translate to a slightly smaller sheet in the best league.

KHL games aren't hard to watch. I've seen a few games of his. The KHL ice isn't much bigger than NHL ice in most cases now.

That doesn't tell us how he will translate to the NHL, just how he's played in the KHL. Under pressure, or against physical players, he makes some mistakes in the KHL.. but even the best in the NHL do that sometimes... it's a small sample set. But it's a small view of how he might play. He does have a bomb though, and has good transition skills, skating and passing skills.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Looking forward to this season starting. A year where Dubas has finally addressed many of the issues that have plagued this team over the past couple years.

We were always a star studded team with no depth, not enough veterans/grit, poor goaltending depth and a below average defence.

Since the new year Dubas has added:

Campbell
Dell
Hutchinson (traded and re-acquired)

Brodie
Bogosian
Rosen
Lehtonen

Thornton
Simmonds
Vesey
Barabanov
Boyd

Quite the turnover in a short period of playing time.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
KHL games aren't hard to watch. I've seen a few games of his. The KHL ice isn't much bigger than NHL ice in most cases now.

That doesn't tell us how he will translate to the NHL, just how he's played in the KHL. Under pressure, or against physical players, he makes some mistakes in the KHL.. but even the best in the NHL do that sometimes... it's a small sample set. But it's a small view of how he might play. He does have a bomb though, and has good transition skills, skating and passing skills.
Ok. Whats your take on him? Makes the top six or 7th?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

As always, we'll have to wait and see with a import player like that, but by all accounts from scouts and analysts, he's an NHL level dman.

Whether he cracks the line-up or not is up to his training camp but he has potential.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
As always, we'll have to wait and see with a import player like that, but by all accounts from scouts and analysts, he's an NHL level dman.

Whether he cracks the line-up or not is up to his training camp but he has potential.

Lehtonen should be alright, anyone have any intel on Zub, the Senators have him coming over.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

At times he just controls the game at the KHL level. He is a dominant player there. When he has the puck on his stick, and creates space he looks very good. If he can adapt to the NHL, he could be top pairing, could be middle pairing. Maybe he doesn’t adapt at all.

Remember how Kaberle would make the game look easy at times, moving the puck up the ice, creating space from attackers, skating. He does that, and just seems to toy with the opposition.

Again, it’s the transition to the NHL that is the question mark, as he’s just a giant wild card that is unpredictable. Sometimes players, who have more time and space in Europe, can do that. But, maybe he can adapt to less time, less space and be the same. But, who knows until he’s played at least half a season.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
At times he just controls the game at the KHL level. He is a dominant player there. When he has the puck on his stick, and creates space he looks very good. If he can adapt to the NHL, he could be top pairing, could be middle pairing. Maybe he doesn’t adapt at all.

Remember how Kaberle would make the game look easy at times, moving the puck up the ice, creating space from attackers, skating. He does that, and just seems to toy with the opposition.

Again, it’s the transition to the NHL that is the question mark, as he’s just a giant wild card that is unpredictable. Sometimes players, who have more time and space in Europe, can do that. But, maybe he can adapt to less time, less space and be the same. But, who knows until he’s played at least half a season.

Good info thanks. appreciated

I seen very limited of him but his head is always up. Highlights are highlight. Not telling you much but it seems he will find time and space for himself with his heads up skating,his skating and his vision. Shot looked good. Just highlights but i seen the confidence or dominance if you like.

I seen a intensity in his play. I know nothing about his work in his own end but read it’s good to really good. Not the first time i heard one thing and then seen another thing from players transitioning from Shl

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Has the NHL released any official info on the upcoming season in terms of start date, schedule, length etc ?

So Leafs planning training camp prior all the official news release and all the NHLPA issues ironed out seems a little premature at this time. IMO

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Has the NHL released any official info on the upcoming season in terms of start date, schedule, length etc ?

So Leafs planning training camp prior all the official news release and all the NHLPA issues ironed out seems a little premature at this time. IMO

No, nothing official yet. Just my guess, but they seem to want to iron out the deferment issues first.

NHL seeking additional deferment on player salaries, raise on escrow caps

It doesn't look like they are in a rush to get a schedule, until they know the costs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No, nothing official yet. Just my guess, but they seem to want to iron out the deferment issues first.

NHL seeking additional deferment on player salaries, raise on escrow caps

It doesn't look like they are in a rush to get a schedule, until they know the costs.

These things and other things like player contract issuance during a pandemic as well as length of season etc and all the Covid issues and rules leaves lots of unknowns at this time.

NHLPA is not going to authorize any players playing until things like this are all sorted out.

With GTA on lockdown currently would the city of Toronto even allow Leafs to gather in large numbers to practice in a training camp environment. Are those 12 days quarantine rules of people coming into the country still in effect? If so players like Matthews, Thornton etc better be making plans soon to get back into Canada if they are to attend camp in a couple weeks.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
These things and other things like player contract issuance during a pandemic as well as length of season etc and all the Covid issues and rules leaves lots of unknowns at this time.

NHLPA is not going to authorize any players playing until things like this are all sorted out.

With GTA on lockdown currently would the city of Toronto even allow Leafs to gather in large numbers to practice in a training camp environment. Are those 12 days quarantine rules of people coming into the country still in effect? If so players like Matthews, Thornton etc better be making plans soon to get back into Canada if they are to attend camp in a couple weeks.

I am also curious about this. Given what has transpired recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs aren't allowed to host a training camp or even play games until the lockdown is lifted and frankly, who knows when that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it is extended again. Is there any confirmation that the Leafs will be exempt from the lockdown?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I am also curious about this. Given what has transpired recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the Leafs aren't allowed to host a training camp or even play games until the lockdown is lifted and frankly, who knows when that will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it is extended again. Is there any confirmation that the Leafs will be exempt from the lockdown?

Last time they had bubble hockey in GTA where you basically quarantined players away from the rest of the world so they allowed them to play under Covid rules.

Now there is no such thing happening so players are no different then regular people moving about so why would you consider hockey players essential workers and allowed to be above the rules of the city or province?

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The quarantine rule upon return is still in effect. There are probably quite a few more, than just Matthews and Thornton who would need to get back, and quarantine.

The lockdown certainly is a question mark. How would a team, with close to 50 players practise with such rules? Or would they simply cut it down to a smaller camp right away? Even so, cutting down to 30 players, doesn't address a maximum of 10 people at an indoor gathering.

I've asked Gord Miller, and Bob McKenzie on Twitter, if there is anything known yet... asked if they knew how the Leafs would get around 10 max, for practise, and games.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
Last they had bubble hockey in GTA where you basically quarantined players away from the rest of the world so they allowed them to play under Covid rules.

Now there is no such thing happening so players are no different then regular people moving about so why would you consider hockey players essential workers and allowed to be above the rules of the city or province?

One reason, Mess is to have my sanity back! I am missing a key component out of my life and it sucks (as it does for others I am sure). I NEED HOCKEY TO BE BACKKKK!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
One reason, Mess is to have my sanity back! I am missing a key component out of my life and it sucks (as it does for others I am sure). I NEED HOCKEY TO BE BACKKKK!

Until a vaccine is available and its been approved, and being distributed to the point where Hockey players are on the list to get it, is really the time I can see hockey going forward uninterrupted again.

If you go to TSN for example the lead articles are;

Four Vegas Golden Knights players have tested positive for COVID-19, the team confirmed to TSN's Frank Seravalli late Monday night. It is the largest known single NHL team outbreak since March.

The Columbus Blue Jackets confirmed Tuesday that several players have tested positive for COVID-19. TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli adds that he's heard a a “significant” number of Blue Jackets players have tested positive over the past seven-to-ten days.

etc etc.

I just don't see how things are going to get back to any sense of normalcy anytime soon that training camps are going to be opening in the next few weeks with so much still unsettled particularly in the world we live in at the moment.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Until a vaccine is available and its been approved, and being distributed to the point where Hockey players are on the list to get it, is really the time I can see hockey going forward uninterrupted again.

If you go to TSN for example the lead articles are;

Four Vegas Golden Knights players have tested positive for COVID-19, the team confirmed to TSN's Frank Seravalli late Monday night. It is the largest known single NHL team outbreak since March.

The Columbus Blue Jackets confirmed Tuesday that several players have tested positive for COVID-19. TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli adds that he's heard a a “significant” number of Blue Jackets players have tested positive over the past seven-to-ten days.

etc etc.

I just don't see how things are going to get back to any sense of normalcy anytime soon that training camps are going to be opening in the next few weeks with so much still unsettled particularly in the world we live in at the moment.

Also Team Canada, cancelled red/white game today because of covid.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Is next season if it occurs going to be 4 bubbles?

That would probably be the safest option right?

Have a city in the 4 created division host the regular season bubbles. Each team plays one another 7/8 times in the regular season.

By playoffs, the vaccine should be widely distributed throughout north america giving the NHL options of either having 2 bubble cities fir each conference or potentially getting back go regular operations with fans (maybe reduced capacity with fans requiring proof of vaccination cards to purchase tickets and gain entry) and playing home and away series once more.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The thing baffling from the players side is that escrow IS part and always has been part of their agreement. The very nature of it means it will fluctuate from year to year. If they are trying to argue that the league is hiding revenues or something, that would be different. But saying we had an agreement on a data point that is always changing makes them look really stupid not just tone deaf.

I don't really get it either. You are getting 50% of something...if that something is worth a lot less...you get less..how hard is that to get through their heads? I am sick of these guys whining...there are a lot of people hurting out there right now and they sound like a bunch of rich whiney bitches. The owners are not going to lose money just because they were wrong on their estimates...they will just kill the season. The players are also bitching about being paid in a pro-rated salary from what I hear. So you only play 1/2 the games and want 100% of the money? Really? screw you and the horse you rode in on.

Reactions: supermann_98

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
What you say is true but still does not make it right what Bettman did ... you don't make a false deal with someone to get players back on ice so you can keep your media $$$ and then say well SORRY we did this contract but now we can't live by it ... it completely builds bad faith between players and owners ... da players have never trusted da owners but now it is poisoned ... good luck getting a 2020/21 season in with this development ... but I think Jacobs already knew what his strategy was going to be ... never trust a snake ... as a true Leaf fan you should learn your lesson

They are sharing revenues...the owners aren't hiding anything...there is not as much to give..why is that hard for the players to understand?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They are sharing revenues...the owners aren't hiding anything...there is not as much to give..why is that hard for the players to understand?
Yes they are sharing HRR revenues ... but there are contested revenue streams which everyone knows would not be there without hockey in Canadian markets ... as an example signage at Scotia arena ... only on ice board advertising gets shared with players for game day but there is a lot more $$$ made by owners for advert in arenas which they own ... because it is there for all activities of building incl Raps, concerts, etc it goes into arena revenue which players do not touch ... players also get no share of gains owners make for profits made on sale of their hockey franchise .. without players creating that value there would be no opportunity for owners to drive that $$$ ... there are sponsorship revenues of MLSE which go across all brands and hockey players get nothing ... some of these revenues for MLSE are HUGE $$$ which is why Leaf players do not care to give any discounts to MLSE and MLSE uses its financial leverage to some good too like development programs that TRIPLE any other NHL team which da league does not like either ... plus add in the worst tax situation in league on after tax income for players and it creates another divide in league too based on current CBA

The real issue is da CBA is not perfect and it needs to be modified to deal with all these issues which are real to to create an EVEN environment for each team and player ... but this would lead to another lockout so no one wants to go there YET ... but everyone has figured out that CASH after tax on a yearly basis can be easily played with and players want as much as they can get their hands on in 2020/21 when they are taking da big risks of playing and catching COVID ... now owners want to take back another 13% CASH $$$ in this year after they agreed to pay it out and increase escrow another 5% ... it is pretty easy to understand ... why can't owners borrow some cheap $$$ and ride it out and catch up later???

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Yes they are sharing HRR revenues ... but there are contested revenue streams which everyone knows would not be there without hockey in Canadian markets ... as an example signage at Scotia arena ... only on ice board advertising gets shared with players for game day but there is a lot more $$$ made by owners for advert in arenas which they own ... because it is there for all activities of building incl Raps, concerts, etc it goes into arena revenue which players do not touch ... players also get no share of gains owners make for profits made on sale of their hockey franchise .. without players creating that value there would be no opportunity for owners to drive that $$$ ... there are sponsorship revenues of MLSE which go across all brands and hockey players get nothing ... some of these revenues for MLSE are HUGE $$$ which is why Leaf players do not care to give any discounts to MLSE and MLSE uses its financial leverage to some good too like development programs that TRIPLE any other NHL team which da league does not like either ... plus add in the worst tax situation in league on after tax income for players and it creates another divide in league too based on current CBA

The real issue is da CBA is not perfect and it needs to be modified to deal with all these issues which are real to to create an EVEN environment for each team and player ... but this would lead to another lockout so no one wants to go there YET ... but everyone has figured out that CASH after tax on a yearly basis can be easily played with and players want as much as they can get their hands on in 2020/21 when they are taking da big risks of playing and catching COVID ... now owners want to take back another 13% CASH $$$ in this year after they agreed to pay it out and increase escrow another 5% ... it is pretty easy to understand ... why can't owners borrow some cheap $$$ and ride it out and catch up later???

You know what? I don't care...I think the players are being obtuse on this and they are going to push it to the point where the owners tell them to sit home. The fans have been used to doing other things for a long time now...i know I have. This will be a hill that the players are going to die on and look bad doing it.

You talk about Signage on the ACC...you even said it yourself that it covers the NBA..NHL and concerts...so big whoop...its 1/3 of 20M a year...you think that's going to increase the salary cap? How about when players sign a big deal and then suck afterwards...still getting 2/3 of a shitty contract? Is that fair to the owners? And 2/3 is a lucky payout if its not in bonus money...so sorry...I am not with the players on this one.

You say the players should get a percentage of the team when it gets sold? NP...will the players put up starter money to buy the team? didn't think so... I know you are supposed to be a former player of some sort...but as a current businessman I am surprised your eyes are not open to the risks that owners take to get where they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad