Coaching carousel (Weekes)

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
TFW you hear Rod Brind'Amour could become available, but you just hired Lindy Ruff:

oppenheimer-cillian-murphy.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

All due respect, Dreger really doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about here. The agreement has been in place for a while, Brindy is just waiting til after the season to sign so the team can remain focused on the Cup run. If anything, he's just making sure his assistants are taken care of, and they absolutely will be.

When it comes to the national media, they rarely have a good pulse on the Carolina Hurricanes. This is the same group of people who stressed endlessly this season that the Canes weren't involved for Guentzel because they don't do rentals when rumors in Raleigh were that they very much were in the mix.

And its not at all surprising that Dreger is putting this out right before the Canes play the Rangers. Have to drum up controversy somehow

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
All due respect, Dreger really doesn't know what the f*** he's talking about here. The agreement has been in place for a while, Brindy is just waiting til after the season to sign so the team can remain focused on the Cup run. If anything, he's just making sure his assistants are taken care of, and they absolutely will be.

When it comes to the national media, they rarely have a good pulse on the Carolina Hurricanes. This is the same group of people who stressed endlessly this season that the Canes weren't involved for Guentzel because they don't do rentals when rumors in Raleigh were that they very much were in the mix.

And its not at all surprising that Dreger is putting this out right before the Canes play the Rangers. Have to drum up controversy somehow
They put it out an hour after a presser with Waddell where he said they have a deal in place and that RBA wants to stay a Cane for life. Also another article where Dundon stepped back from the negotiations with RBA for how much he likes him.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016

Dreger is just a mouthpiece. The question is, who is he the mouthpiece for? I dont mean this disrespectfully, but do you really think the national media or the hockey world cares if he is coaching in Carolina next year? I don't think Dreger is pulling something out of his ass here; it's not nearly big enough of a story to lie about for clicks. Someone in Carolina is trying to get more money or is trying to avoid paying the coach(s) that money. I can almost assure you that there are still negotiations taking place and that this "done deal" isn't so done yet.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Dreger is just a mouthpiece. The question is, who is he the mouthpiece for? I dont mean this disrespectfully, but do you really think the national media or the hockey world cares if he is coaching in Carolina next year? I don't think Dreger is pulling something out of his ass here; it's not nearly big enough of a story to lie about for clicks. Someone in Carolina is trying to get more money or is trying to avoid paying the coach(s) that money. I can almost assure you that there are still negotiations taking place and that this "done deal" isn't so done yet.
Big Daddy Marner, that's who.

• Haha
Reactions: Dialamo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Dreger is just a mouthpiece. The question is, who is he the mouthpiece for? I dont mean this disrespectfully, but do you really think the national media or the hockey world cares if he is coaching in Carolina next year? I don't think Dreger is pulling something out of his ass here; it's not nearly big enough of a story to lie about for clicks.
The chance that Rod might be available for Pitt, Tor, Ott, NJ, Sea, etc… is 100% something the national media and hockey world cares about. Just do a search of his name on HF and see how many fan bases are drooling at the thought that it might be possible.

I’m not saying Dreger is doing it for clicks as I have no clue what sources he has, just saying that the a story about the possibility that Rod might be available is absolutely something the national media would care about.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
TFW you hear Rod Brind'Amour could become available, but you just hired Lindy Ruff:

Yup, a guy who could have any job his heart desires and name his price was TOTALLY going to come to the least successful organization in hockey history. And the owner on the hook for at LEAST $700 million in cost overruns on his throwball palace cutting costs like crazy was going to give him the biggest financial deal in hockey history it would take for him to even pick up the phone. And even if he picked up the phone it wouldn't be so he could pull a Babcock and use our rube owner to get the deal he wants from the team he wants to go to.

Nope. Not at all.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
The chance that Rod might be available for Pitt, Tor, Ott, NJ, Sea, etc… is 100% something the national media and hockey world cares about. Just do a search of his name on HF and see how many fan bases are drooling at the thought that it might be possible.
Well you are on the money there. The plugged-in fans of some teams will definitely be licking their chops at the possibility. I still don't think it's all that interesting or big in the grand scheme of things but perhaps I'm underestimating Rod's pedigree and also underestimating the desperation of some of those markets (*cough* Toronto) to get a real coach.

For what it's worth I believe he's staying put but I'm getting the impression there is a little something to these reports.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

You think there is a world where Terry Pegula is going to pay enough to get him?

That’s adorable.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is fascinating to me.

2018: Dundon was generally panned for hiring Waddell and RBA;

A few years later, he was panned for letting Waddell test the market. How could he let Waddell (who HF universally thought was a horrible hire) test the market? :eek3:

Now this.

Personally, I think he likes the publicity.

And to be clear, while it's not impossible, I'll be surprised if Rod coaches anywhere else next year.

FlyingPenguin

Apr 4, 2009
Kingston, ON
My guess with Brind'Amour is that teams are starting to see a chance he's still unsigned when his contract expires and are eager to get the word out that they'd be thrilled to give him a lot of money to coach their team.

I'd be surprised if the Canes don't get this done, but I think a lot of teams would love to have him and they want to make sure he knows that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad