Confirmed with Link: Kassian Signs - 4 Years, 3.2M Per

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I am a big Kassian supporter but he needs to take a good long look in the mirror. He owes a lot to the Oilers.. not to mention his contract. The very least he could have done was have a pulse in the playoffs. Absolute joke.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
At least Russell busts his ass every game. May not be the most talented guy in the world, but zero issues with his compete level.

Agreed. He had a real tough playoff however. He cannot be used in the top 4 anymore. I think Jones brings more than Russell does at this point.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At least Russell busts his ass every game. May not be the most talented guy in the world, but zero issues with his compete level.

And sacrifices his body for the team every single game. Kassian has turned into a huge joke. Prior to him catching lightning in a bottle with Connor and Drai he completely looked uninterested and seemed to want out. Prime example of a player that packs up his tent and runs home crying to mommy when the going gets tough.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Welcome to the new Russell contract

I would tell him at the start of the season that he is a bottom 6 player for us. His job is to bring energy and hem the opposition in their own end. I would also tell him that if he brings the same half assed effort that he did against Chicago that he can look forward to being in Bakersfield as long as I was the coach of the team.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Called it from the jump this is a guy who rode the coattails of Mcdavid and people were acting like he was useful up and down the line up. The guy was just as bad 2 seasons ago when he was constantly a mainstay in the bottom six and look he was back in that position and did absolutely nothing but people were arguing it was good because he had 1 good series against San Jose and just assumed that was what he was going to be most of the time.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Gotta own it. I liked this player.

But Kassian was an absolute washout in the play-in and did not bring any assertive, physical game against an smaller opposition. He looked lost out there and not helped by a tight, ticky tack refereeing for this series. His point coverage in own zone play was simply embarrassing. Troubling too is the reported off-ice activity which for a person in recovery could potentially place at risk all of the hard work done to get his life in order let alone his career.

With the Cap now stalled via Covid dollars are even more precious. Hard to see the proactive deal made with Zach returning anywhere near its value. Guess we'll see but this series against the Hawks when this team needed energy and emotion they got nothing from Kassian.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Troubling too is the reported off-ice activity which for a person in recovery could potentially place at risk all of the hard work done to get his life in order let alone his career

Where was this reported? I hope that it isnt true as he is a father now and should be looking at being a good example for his kid as they grow up.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I am a big Kassian supporter but he needs to take a good long look in the mirror. He owes a lot to the Oilers.. not to mention his contract. The very least he could have done was have a pulse in the playoffs. Absolute joke.
What I don't get is that when he's on the first line he stops doing what made him successful to begin with.

He was alright on the third pairing with AA and Sheahan by banging bodies and controlling possession, he tries to do too much when hes on the first line

Reactions: Samus44

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
His play went downhill as soon as he signed that deal. Coincidence?
Either that or the suspension he got at the same time. Or the suspension was just a sign his brain was falling out and he was on his way into some bad hockey. Just spit balling because it seems strange to me that someone would purposely suck immediately after signing a contract during the season. Could see it demotivating an off-season if a person was tired of the sport.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I actually liked what I saw from the Kassian/AA pairing for the small period of time they were together before AA got moved up. I think if you put them with a solid defensively aware center that could be a good third line that can chip in some offense(maybe even Haas could fill that role). The biggest problem is you’ve got Kassian, Chiasson, Archibald and potentially Pulju all looking at those bottom two RW spots. Ideally one of them could jump up and grab the spot with McDavid but seems like there’s just too many bodies there. It’ll be interesting to see how Holland handles it this offseason.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I’m not sure 4 games in the middle of what is the weirdest summer in living memory (especially for these guys moving into the bubble) is enough to wash away 5 months and 70 games of more or less solid play.

Especially when it’s in a situation where you wouldn’t expect Kassian to be effective: no crowd noise/energy, vs. a not overly chippy team, and one a line where puck control is king (and not via cycling).

I think had he gotten Chiasson’s spot with Neal and Khaira, he would have looked fine enough. But that’s because Kassian needs to be in the specific situation to succeed. RE: on a line with someone else that likes to cycle (even when he’s with McDavid) be it Drai, Neal, or even Chiasson; Nuge, Ennis, and AA don’t really cover that need.

Thus you have him consistently Leeroy Jenkins-ing on the attack going to the net and corners, while McDavid and Nuge hold the puck in open ice.

Personally I’d staple him to Neal next year as those two seemed to play well together. You also then don’t need to worry about the fit at centre. Frankly, that’s my approach towards all the wings next year (fixed winger combos, and the centres able to rotate between them):

RNH/Yamamoto
Neal/Kassian
Nygård/Archibald
AA/Pulju? (Not as concerned about guessing this one, as it’s the most up in the air. It’s a secondary skill line, Ennis, Marody, or Benson could all be fits here too)

space321

May 11, 2011
I’m not sure 4 games in the middle of what is the weirdest summer in living memory (especially for these guys moving into the bubble) is enough to wash away 5 months and 70 games of more or less solid play.

Especially when it’s in a situation where you wouldn’t expect Kassian to be effective: no crowd noise/energy, vs. a not overly chippy team, and one a line where puck control is king (and not via cycling).

I think had he gotten Chiasson’s spot with Neal and Khaira, he would have looked fine enough. But that’s because Kassian needs to be in the specific situation to succeed. RE: on a line with someone else that likes to cycle (even when he’s with McDavid) be it Drai, Neal, or even Chiasson; Nuge, Ennis, and AA don’t really cover that need.

Thus you have him consistently Leeroy Jenkins-ing on the attack going to the net and corners, while McDavid and Nuge hold the puck in open ice.

Personally I’d staple him to Neal next year as those two seemed to play well together. You also then don’t need to worry about the fit at centre. Frankly, that’s my approach towards all the wings next year (fixed winger combos, and the centres able to rotate between them):

RNH/Yamamoto
Neal/Kassian
Nygård/Archibald
AA/Pulju? (Not as concerned about guessing this one, as it’s the most up in the air. It’s a secondary skill line, Ennis, Marody, or Benson could all be fits here too)

It's not 4 games though. It's multiple seasons. The 50 or so games he played on McDavid's wing this season is the anomaly in his career.

Also Chiasson was very effective on that line. He gets to scoring areas better than Kassian, and has a better shot.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It's not 4 games though. It's multiple seasons. The 50 or so games he played on McDavid's wing this season is the anomaly in his career.

Also Chiasson was very effective on that line. He gets to scoring areas better than Kassian, and has a better shot.

Tbf, Kassian also had an effective 20/ 30 games to close out last season with McDrai.

He's succeeds being the garbage man on the top line. That's not a problem or even a one-off, as it's a consistent outcome with this teams offence (unless your name is Milan; big, power forwards consistently put up points with McDrai: Maroon, Chiasson, Neal, and Kassian all show that). With Kassian at least, he brings a little more variety in his skillset, as he's a better playmaker, far quicker (though that's not saying much), more physical, and is at least equal to Chiasson defensively, making him far more versatile. You can play him on the checking line with Sheahan and Archibald, and he'd be fine; I can't say that about the others due to their defensive play and/or lack of speed.

One of Kassian's biggest issues/flaws though is he's near completely dependant on his linemates, regardless if he's on line 1 or 4. But that's why he's purely a complementary player, and not a proper line driver. (And imo, a top 6 complementary piece is worth 3mil, same as a guy like Ferland)

However if Kassian is going to look good, I believe he needs one (or two) of Draisaitl, Neal, Chiasson, Khaira, or Sheahan on his line. Someone he can cycle with.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This guy is a Patrick Maroon. Literally anyone who plays with McDavid will pot some goals. Doesn't mean that they are some world beater. Kassian is a bottom 6 forward who has a career high of 15 goals (mainly due to his time playing with McDavid). His contract already looks awful.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This guy is a Patrick Maroon. Literally anyone who plays with McDavid will pot some goals. Doesn't mean that they are some world beater. Kassian is a bottom 6 forward who has a career high of 15 goals (mainly due to his time playing with McDavid). His contract already looks awful.
3.2 AAV is not truly bad though. If all he is is a great third liner, that money is a bit much but not by a lot. I'm fine with it, and btw I don't think he's tradeable. Maybe expose him to Seattle (does he have a NMC though?)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Last year: "Don't be so hard on holland! Wait a year until he clears away all those bad contracts and then we will have cap space!"

Said it was a bad contract at the time, for about the 4th time gms, oilers or others get taken in by guys playing with mcdavid for 25 games.

And as usual the biggest problem is the term. Over pay on spec for a couple of years at most so you can get away from it if you have to? Fine, not desirable but fine. Four year deal though......woof

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad