Confirmed with Link: Kassian Signs - 4 Years, 3.2M Per

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Definitely moveable, maybe with a sweetener. Theres value around the league in toughness and despite what we see now, the guy has a reputation and someone would take a shot at him for free. I'd put foegele in the same category of dead weight that should be cap casualty. 3M a year 4th liner that isn't tough, doesn't play on either special team. Have lots of young cheap wing prospects coming up, and some important pieces to hold on to this summer. 91, 13, 56, 71 > 44 + 37 .

Foegele looked pretty good (again) on that third line with Nuge and Ryan. He’s an actual 3rd line player if he has a legitimate centre and decent winger on the other side. He didn’t play with a mediocre centre in Carolina, so playing with a good one in Nuge makes sense.

I’d only move Foegele if they absolutely need the cap to bring in (or back) a better player, such as retaining Kane. Otherwise it’s solid value on a position the org should spend something on here or there (bottom 6 depth)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It was the going rate, and I like the player, but we have to move him this summer. He makes too much to play 4th line, and he’s been passed by too many players to play higher. It’s always been said he has trade value, but if that’s not the case, we could probably move him in a trade to a bottom feeder. Maybe something like Kassian and a pick for Fischer out of Arizona or Watson out of Ottawa.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Im hoping we make the playoffs, Kassian plays extremely well, drives up his value, and then gets traded in the offseason without us paying much if anything to do so.

Worst case tho is we trade him and have to retain plus toss in a late pick. I know its ridiculous to think Holland will think outside the box a tiny bit but Kassian can not be on our team next year at that cap hit and the buyouts have to stop. Buying out a player is a terrible terrible burden on the teams cap management. Terrible, and its the go to tool of dumb ass lazy GMs like Holland all too frequently.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Everything hinges on the playoffs with Kass. I hope that he plays well enough to drive up his value and other teams get dominated physically.

Hopefully Wilson and Reaves muk it up in the east.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Everything hinges on the playoffs with Kass. I hope that he plays well enough to drive up his value and other teams get dominated physically.

Hopefully Wilson and Reaves muk it up in the east.

This is really the best we can hoe for. If Kassian plays well in the playoffs, maybe it only costs us a 2nd round pick or middling prospect to offload him. I don't think we'll be quite that lucky though, not only because I have little faith in his ability to play well, but also because regardless of playoff play, 3.2 million is still an AWFUL lot for another team to take on in a "flat cap world"

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't really know what else there is to say about this player that hasn't already been said. He's toast. We thought he'd turn it up in the playoffs... He didn't. We thought he'd turn it up when crowds were back... He didn't. Holland needs to move on in the offseason by any means.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't really know what else there is to say about this player that hasn't already been said. He's toast. We thought he'd turn it up in the playoffs... He didn't. We thought he'd turn it up when crowds were back... He didn't. Holland needs to move on in the offseason by any means.
Woody doesn’t seem to be the biggest fan of him either. Not sure how we are going to move on though without a decent draft pick going the other way.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I really really liked Kassian, I felt there was a place on this team for him....but I'm starting to turn...

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He's Maverick after loosing Goose.

I understand not wanting to mess up your head when you have a wife and kids. I totally get it.
But there needs to be a degree of honesty with himself and to the hockey team and his teammates that he doesn't "have it" anymore.

Or perhaps there needs to be some honesty with himself and the team to help him get it back if that's what he really desires. Acknowledge the issue and work on it, or Acknowledge the fire is gone and take your ticket to the minors. I know it's a pain in the ass playing down there and travelling. But there's 20 other players counting on you and riding bus for 3 or so mill a year isn't something I'm about to be sympathetic towards.

In the end a bit of honesty is what's needed. I am in no position to know if he's done, thinks he's done, or just needs help to get back. I'm guessing these are the questions the organization and himself are struggling with.

The reality and cold hard facts that too many times when he's needed and called upon the reply is "No. It's no good. It's no good"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad