Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
As I see it, 7 games is too few. It should have been at least 8...possibly 10 since Kassian had only played in 8 games since his prior suspension ended. A kick with the skate blade (Chris Pronger got suspended for that in 2008 for kicking Ryan Kesler in the leg) has no place in the game at all.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Sounds about right. Bob McKenzie referenced precedence when talking about it on the radio. Keeping that in mind, double digits would have been too extreme.

I heard Bob today and agree with him. The commish should send a public memo out warning all the clubs that any more incidents like this will result in a minimum 25 game suspension. The two most dangerous weapons players have are their sticks and their blades and if someone was severely injured or killed (God forbid) it would probably severely change if not end the game we love.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I was expecting 10+ (and rightfully so), so when it comes to only 7 games.....

Barneys_Truth_Serum_Drunk_-_How_I_Met_Your_Mother-1.gif

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Insanity!! This insanity!!

I mean the seven game suspension costs Kassian more than we make in a frikkin year!!!!! :eek2:

But we all knew that, and understand the economics of entertainment....

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I heard Bob today and agree with him. The commish should send a public memo out warning all the clubs that any more incidents like this will result in a minimum 25 game suspension. The two most dangerous weapons players have are their sticks and their blades and if someone was severely injured or killed (God forbid) it would probably severely change if not end the game we love.
Now I understand why Kass only got 7. He didn't see any previous memos about kicking someone in the chest with your razor sharp skate blade can be dangerous.
Perfectly understandable. Can't expect hockey players to know everything.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
As an Oilers fan I was expecting 5 but would had not been shocket at 10.

Kassian's suspension history is also very puzzling: 3 in 3 years with the Nucks, then he showed signs of turning everything around (no suspension in almost 6 years), just to throw 6 years of good behaviour out of the window. I was wondering how the DOPS would judge his history:
  • 1 prior suspension in the last ~6 years is not really that bad.
  • second incident in 1 month is terrible.
  • 5th incident in his NHL career (and 8th overall) is way way too much.
IMO, if Kassian's first 3 suspensions would had been more recent, we would be talking at least 10-15 games. He probably dodged a skate here.

I don't think most Oilers fans will complain about the 7 games, and I think many people would had not been shocked if it was 10 or 10+, or if it would had been 5.

On a side note: Was Kassian the first hockey player to attempt open heart surgery on the ice?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Did people actually expect something like 20 games? Maybe he could have gotten 10 for this, but no more than that. The next time he does something stupid (wouldn't be surprised) will probably be a whammy though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I said 5-10 games yesterday and narrowed it down to 8-10 games today.

7 is close enough.

Kassian's explanation was probably the most disturbing part of this ordeal (aside from the kick itself) and makes it seem like he'll do something stupid again. The man needs anger management sessions to tone it down a bit.

Reactions: nturn06

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Did people actually expect something like 20 games? Maybe he could have gotten 10 for this, but no more than that. The next time he does something stupid (wouldn't be surprised) will probably be a whammy though.
20 games or 10 games would of been ridiculous with how stupid the DOPS is, especially when dangerous plays get away with minor fines too.

They really need to figure this shit out

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
NHL and NHLPA need to sit down and figure out suspensions in the offseason- none of the fans seem to think they get it right, numbers are constantly too low, it just doesn’t benefit anyone to be lenient with these things.
I don't expect leniency but definitely consistency. The league needs to look at comparables before concluding on the length of a suspension and not throwing a dart in a dark room to come up with a number. It's good for all teams.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Should have been 10. But considering how bad the DOPS has been lately, 7 doesn't seem that bad.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I said 5-10 games yesterday and narrowed it down to 8-10 games today.

7 is close enough.

Kassian's explanation was probably the most disturbing part of this ordeal (aside from the kick itself) and makes it seem like he'll do something stupid again. The man needs anger management sessions to tone it down a bit.

After the last suspension he said he's do it again. After this incident, he brushed it off like it was no big deal. This guy is a giant man-child and apparently can't learn from his mistakes.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
7 games is a joke. He should be missing the rest of the season at the absolute minimum. I guess we'll have to wait until he almost kills someone until the NHL properly disciplines this neanderthal.

While I agree that a longer suspension would had not been unfair, what you are saying is that Kassian should had been suspended longer than Bertuzzi...

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

It'd hard to tell really, I mean Tom Wilson recently got 4 suspensions in just over a year and his appeal reduced his suspension to 14 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad