Kassian/Cernak kicking incident Part 2 (suspended for 7 games)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
EFE458E6-F616-4948-A32F-AAFFAF4FE6BD.jpeg

“No kick kick while a play stick puck?!?”

Plug got what I expected, doubt he makes the duration of his contract in the NHL, too dumb.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
4 game suspension, tops. With the head shots Parros let's go, how is a love tap to the chest get more ?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
7 games seems extremely light given the inherent risk. Not even considering he just got suspended recently.

Reactions: thaman8765678

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
not based on previous kicking incidents

He got very lucky they fumbled the incident with Skinner. All kicking should be minimum 10 game suspension. Same with swinging a stick. Keep ramping up the suspensions with him and be consistent, next suspension will be 15 games.

Wilson suspension was appealed down from 20 with more of a history, so even though kicking is obviously 100% intentional it was never going to get that much

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't expect leniency but definitely consistency. The league needs to look at comparables before concluding on the length of a suspension and not throwing a dart in a dark room to come up with a number. It's good for all teams.

ya, I feel like they should just be suspending more/longer in general. like, Eichel got 2 for a headshot on Soderberg- if 2 were the universal standard, fine, but that’s only applied 50% of the time. Meanwhile Cernaks interfering elbow concussing Dahlin- also 2 games. Like, no, make 2 the baseline, apply that evenly, and bump it to 5+ when other factors make it extra dumb/dangerous. Eichel also boarded mcdonagh a few years back, I don’t believe there was a suspension, and that was an infinitely more dangerous play than the hit on Soderberg, yet the NHL just seemingly has stopped caring about hits from behind- why? Start giving 2 games for the small stuff, do it consistently, and now you have the grounds to suspend longer for more major stuff. This 0-2 rotation doesn’t work and throws major suspensions off as well.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020
why isn't it a comparable?
I’ll break it down so you can understand. One of them has a rule which (if caught by the refs) is an automatic match penalty. I’ll let you decide which one.

Edit: also “whataboutism” is the worst form of argument. It’s what people do when they don’t have a logical rebuttal.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
he never done this though

the NHL based this on previous foot "kicking" incidents ie. Skinner's 2 games and Pronger's 8 games

And that's part of the problem.

If the current "standard" suspension isn't deterring the behavior, then perhaps we should do away with previous precedents and have new standards. We can't do anything about previous poor decisions (yes, current Chara slap on the wrist included), but the league needs to do something to send a message going forward.

And this is for everyone in the league. Oilers have two superstars on their team with targets on their backs. How do Oilers fans feel knowing players can do whatever they want to them and there will be pithy suspensions for it? Does anyone want to see a kid like McDavid or Dahlin or Eichel have their career end prematurely because DOPS can't do their job and players are running wild?

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Simon also hit a guy in the head with a 2-hander at the end of the previous season and was suspended 8 times overall
Pronger had been suspended in the conference finals AND the cup finals for elbows to the head the previous season and it was his ninth suspension overall. Star player getting preferential treatment

Reactions: Il Stugotz

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I’ll break it down so you can understand. One of them has a rule which (if caught by the refs) is an automatic match penalty. I’ll let you decide which one.

Edit: also “whataboutism” is the worst form of argument. It’s what people do when they don’t have a logical rebuttal.
what the difference if both are "intent to injure" and extremely dangerous?

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Now I understand why Kass only got 7. He didn't see any previous memos about kicking someone in the chest with your razor sharp skate blade can be dangerous.
Perfectly understandable. Can't expect hockey players to know everything.

Some are dumber than others. God knows every team has a moron. Some more than others.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Players are jumping over each other, skate blades always within an inch of slicing someone. Yet throughout decades, skate injuries are so rare. Every single player at every level knows that they're holding 2 weapons easily capable of killing someone. Even the worst trash to ever play the game do everything they can to avoid touching someone with their skate. (inb4 Cooke/Karlsson)

Kassian doesn't swing his leg, he kicks it straightout blade first at another person. 29 years old, he does the exact thing that's been ingrained in his head not to do for ~20 years. He's a psychopath, he shouldn't be allowed to play again if there's even a little chance he could do it again

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
And that's part of the problem.

If the current "standard" suspension isn't deterring the behavior, then perhaps we should do away with previous precedents and have new standards. We can't do anything about previous poor decisions (yes, current Chara slap on the wrist included), but the league needs to do something to send a message going forward.

And this is for everyone in the league. Oilers have two superstars on their team with targets on their backs. How do Oilers fans feel knowing players can do whatever they want to them and there will be pithy suspensions for it? Does anyone want to see a kid like McDavid or Dahlin or Eichel have their career end prematurely because DOPS can't do their job and players are running wild?

spot on. I mean, if Dahlin suffered another concussion this season, if that turned into an issue with him- would we look back and say “ya, 2 games for a late elbow to the snout was fine, let’s keep that standard.”? I hope not. That’s 2% of the season for jeopardizing 100% of a players career, that’s a joke. The first suspension shoulda been longer, but that mistake has been made- using that as the standard would only worsen the mistake.

Malkin’s stick swing, for another- that shoulda been 5+ games, easy. If a dude makes contact he’s sitting at least 15, if it’s not a star player and there’s no contact I bet it’s still 3+, if we’re less than a year removed from a similar incident it’s gonna be 25+.. ya see how the DoPS put themselves in a bad position here? No matter what the next one will seem too much or too little because they didn’t properly punish the last one- at some point they gotta break the pattern and just establish longer and more consistent standards.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes