Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen traded back to Pittsburgh - Part II

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
It won't. Sullivan is stubborn as they come.

As soon as Crosby is back Malkin will get spare parts, McCann will be back to the wing and Kapanen will be thrown in the line blender and he will wonder why it ain't working.

Whats with these square peg round hole coaches we have. Bylsma and Sully have to be 2 of the worst ever when it comes to that. They have thier ideas and they dont deviate.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"Malkin getting spare parts" is still one of the more funny things to develop around here this season. As if Zucker, Kapanen and Rust are AHL-fodder. :laugh: It also implies we have better to give him, which is also false.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
"Malkin getting spare parts" is still one of the more funny things to develop around here this season. As if Zucker, Kapanen and Rust are AHL-fodder. :laugh: It also implies we have better to give him, which is also false.
It's not the spare parts thing.

It's that they're on Genos line until Sid's line needs them and then he gets what Sid's line couldn’t use and that's not opinion. It's literally what has been happening.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
He’s getting the cold shoulder treatment by Sullivan and he doesn’t appear to be a player that plays a game which shows up well analytically. I like him a lot though.

Kapanen is pretty much Dominic Kahun 2.0 (but with a much higher acquisition cost), according to Sully anyway.

As yesterday's aberration shows, Sully will on rare occasions use him -- grudgingly -- in something other than a bottom role if he basically has no other choice. Otherwise Kapanen will sometimes make token appearances in the top 6 and on power play #2, but by all means let's have Sam Lafferty out there killing penalties instead of this guy, eh?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol are people still on the "Sullivan hates Kapanen" nonsense? Before today, Kapanen averaged 15:45 a game for the Penguins and is at 16:22 if you take out those first 3 games where they were easing him into the lineup. Only 2 of his last 18 games have been below 14 minutes per game, which is the same amount of games that he has played over 19 minutes a game.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
In the coming days, I will be posting appointment openings for physical, in-person, no mask fights with me if you still don't like Kapanen.
I don't like the value we gave up for Kapanen, does that count as not liking him? if so bring your A game. I'll do the Steve Urkle.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Trade seems to be working out pretty well for the Pens. Kappy is awesome

I said this was going to be the case from the start. Kapanen is leading the team in 5v5 points. I said that any of Zucker, Rust, and Kapanen could have the most 5v5 points and I considered them all pretty equal. I liked the Kapanen deal best because of his age. 24 is still official prospect age and I believed he was not only good for now but part of the future because of his age.

I said back then that the chances of either that 1st round pick or Hallander becoming as good as Kapanen was very small. I would trade a 1st and a prospect of Hallander caliber any day for a past 20 goal 24 year old. Sign me up again for Poulin and a 2nd which would be about the same as that deal.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I don't like the value we gave up for Kapanen, does that count as not liking him? if so bring your A game. I'll do the Steve Urkle.

Over all those picks and prospects during the Crosby era only Barzal and Kapanen turned out good and we got Kapanen back. So when you compare Barzal to Hossa, Dupuis, Zucker, Iginla, Kessel, and so many other players and 4 Finals appearances and 3 Cups it is laughable you talk about the value.

Hallander will be lucky to even be an NHL regular even as a 4th line player and that 1st round pick has a 50% chance of being a bust or nothing close to as good as Kapanen. I would make that trade again tomorrow for the same type player for Poulin and our 2nd or a prospect like Legare.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Looks good. He’s a lot of the good parts of Kessel, like the breakaway speed + near-guaranteed finish that can change a game in a second, but without the negatives of garbage D and poor compete level.

Looks like he could easily be a 30-30 guy in a full season with 1st unit PP time.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Over all those picks and prospects during the Crosby era only Barzal and Kapanen turned out good and we got Kapanen back. So when you compare Barzal to Hossa, Dupuis, Zucker, Iginla, Kessel, and so many other players and 4 Finals appearances and 3 Cups it is laughable you talk about the value.

Hallander will be lucky to even be an NHL regular even as a 4th line player and that 1st round pick has a 50% chance of being a bust or nothing close to as good as Kapanen. I would make that trade again tomorrow for the same type player for Poulin and our 2nd or a prospect like Legare.
Your core isn't getting younger so this is the good mindset to have. Picks and prospect are very often overvalued around here, but in general they aren't equal in value to every team.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Looks good. He’s a lot of the good parts of Kessel, like the breakaway speed + near-guaranteed finish that can change a game in a second, but without the negatives of garbage D and poor compete level.

Looks like he could easily be a 30-30 guy in a full season with 1st unit PP time.

Eh. Don't think his game is suited to PP duty. But it's looking like 20ish ES goals isn't out of the question with him, which is sweet.

They should start using him more on the PK. Only gonna add to his breakaway chances.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Eh. Don't think his game is suited to PP duty. But it's looking like 20ish ES goals isn't out of the question with him, which is sweet.

They should start using him more on the PK. Only gonna add to his breakaway chances.

That's only due to not using him there for me. He has the gumption to get into the greasy areas and has the size/ weight to not be easily pushed around.

He could be their net front as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That's only due to not using him there for me. He has the gumption to get into the greasy areas and has the size/ weight to not be easily pushed around.

He could be their net front as well.

He seems to be at his best off the rush. I'm certainly not against giving him more looks on the PP, but I'm cool with him being the player I think he is too. If he can bump Rust off the top unit, he's a home run of a pick up.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He seems to be at his best off the rush. I'm certainly not against giving him more looks on the PP, but I'm cool with him being the player I think he is too. If he can get bump Rust off the top unit, he's a home run of a pick up.

Nothing say's Rust has to bumped off either. The Pens just didn't ride Hornqvist to death in that role. Guys like Kunitz got lots of time there as well. Keeps things fresh and not so robotic.

Reactions: mpp9

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I don't fight fair. You better bring your transformation chamber.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
ES point leader even though he's missed 3 games and plays 3 minutes or more less than the top guys a game. Probably more of a sign of how bad Sid and Geno have been compared to their expected level, but still way better than reasonable expectations. If we can play more aggressively and consistently generate rush chances he'll be even more valuable. Would like to see him go to the net more often too but it's not like Kessel ever did that either.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Listening to Steve Dangle's breakdown, Kapanen almost sounds like a carbon copy of Dupuis (hold on, it's not about stickhandling!) in terms of basically having two moves, blaze with the puck into the corner and then pivot to look for a pass, or an ill-advised shot off the rush. Not near the same impact defensively at ES, but maybe something could click there offensively. This is me being optimistic.

Even if that pays dividends, the PP's still a shit show though and I don't see how JR fixes it. But I guess we'll see how the off-season plays out. Maybe JR trades Hornqvist, JJ, and Bjugstad for Palmieri and I become the happiest man on earth.

cWaJw5h.gif

cWaJw5h.gif

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad