Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen traded back to Pittsburgh - Part II

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I said over the summer that I considered Kapanen as good as Rust and Zucker and wouldn't be surprised if any of them finished with the most points. That is why I was fine with the trade because I considered Kapanen an equal player to those two but younger.

After seeing all the pieces I will say now if this team doesn't succeed it will be due to injuries or the core not able to perform at a high level. The winger depth is strong. The bottom lines are fine and the defense has all the pieces needed to have a good top 6 with depth behind them.
JR ruined this team. Adding trash like Kapanen, Jank, Ceci, Tanev, and POJ.

Edit: relax triggered :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Jankowski has been a disappointment. But he costs 700k so who gives a shit.

Well, aside from @Pens Xpert

I actually think Jankowski will do fine with the 4th line Center job. I thought that line played pretty well tonight. O'Connor looked like a beast in front of the net. Having one line with size is nice and they will chip in the occasional goal. For $700,000 Jankowski will do just fine.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jankowski has been a disappointment. But he costs 700k so who gives a shit.

Well, aside from @Pens Xpert
Jank is where he belongs. 4th line.

Blueger for 3c. We did it mate. We did it.

giphy.gif

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR ruined this team. Adding trash like Kapanen, Jank, Ceci, Tanev, and POJ.

Edit: relax triggered :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.
You forgot healthy scratch Sceviour and dip**** Erod, or top 10 worst contact in the league Matheson.

I never said KK was trash; I said it was an overpayment on our part. You are starting to see the players develop that were taken with our picks that crusty traded - Barzal and Miller, for example. I’m not sure how you can disagree that he’s been reckless with those picks, but ok.

POJ and Tanev weren’t brought here this offseason, so I don’t understand why they are being mentioned?
giphy.gif

Do you really want JR to come back? I guarantee you that this latest disastrous off offseason is one of the big factors as to why he is sitting on his couch now.

EDIT: I would still make the Kessel trade to acquire him, but this mindset of dumping so many first round picks is ok because the chances are those picks won’t ever be as good is dangerous.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
No doubt KK has looked really good. I’m not sure if he looks that much better because many of the forwards look lost out there, but he just looks more explosive and quicker than anyone else on the ice on the Pens.

Reactions: Son Goku

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
You forgot healthy scratch Sceviour and dip**** Erod, or top 10 worst contact in the league Matheson.

I never said KK was trash; I said it was an overpayment on our part. You are starting to see the players develop that were taken with our picks that crusty traded - Barzal and Miller, for example. I’m not sure how you can disagree that he’s been reckless with those picks, but ok.

POJ and Tanev weren’t brought here this offseason, so I don’t understand why they are being mentioned?
giphy.gif

Do you really want JR to come back? I guarantee you that this latest disastrous off offseason is one of the big factors as to why he is sitting on his couch now.

EDIT: I would still make the Kessel trade to acquire him, but this mindset of dumping so many first round picks is ok because the chances are those picks won’t ever be as good is dangerous.

Nothing you said reinforced your opinion of this being a disastrous off-season. Also your points of being against trading prospects and picks don't hold water either.

As I have just said and will say again so it sinks in for you maybe. Of all the prospects and picks traded during the whole Crosby era only 1 pick turned out to be a great player and the majority turned out to be nothing. Barzal didn't even benefit the team we traded the pick to and we won 2 Cups with that asset. I would do that 20 times over but again he is the only pick out of all those trades that brought in a ton of great talent. The only prospect that became anything good we just got back in Kapanen and he brought us Kessel and two Cups. Look at all those picks and prospects traded and the return they brought back in it isn't even close that we have much more value from those trades overall than keeping those picks and prospects.

Now to this summer supposedly being a disaster. Kapanen trade has proven to be a great add and I would do that trade again right now for another player just like him for Poulin and a 2nd which holds roughly similar value to that deal. Jankowski has been a nice fit to stabilize our bottom 6 Center depth for only $700,000. No way that is a bad add at that price. Ceci has been awesome for his term and cap hit with one of the few plus players and really stepped up during these injuries with playing 22 and 24+ minutes with a goal and assist and plus 3 in those 2 games. Overall 6 games scoring at .5 point pace and plus player for the year for $1.25 million cap hit. So all of that are good adds. $700,000 minimum for Rodriguez is fine also and certainly not disastrous. The only disastrous thing about him is when Sullivan puts him on the top line. I have no problem with Rodriguez as a 12th/13th forward.

So now all that is left is discussing the Hornqvist trade. First off Hornqvist had negative value and just look at the younger equal player at a more important position situation in Tampa with TJ who they literally couldn't give him away on waivers. So I am fine gambling on Matheson and it is a big gamble. It is a big risk/reward type deal. I rather do that then give up assets to get someone to take Hornqvist which would of been the case. Matheson had a poor first game but so did the whole team. Matheson looked okay in the second game even with the team still looking preseason form. I certainly am not going to judge how Matheson fits with us until I see some more games. All take the 26 year old defenseman with being one of the best skating defenseman in the league that has above average skills and shot and actually is physical also. So while Matheson has some things needed to clean up the talent is their and could place big dividends far more than giving assets to trade Hornqvist. Sceviour was just an add to give us depth for 4th line and is an average winger for those spots. So while he might be a few hundred thousand over putting in someone like O'Connor he certainly didn't add much to the cap and on this team we can see we need a ton of depth.

So this off-season was certainly not a disaster and we actually improved and got younger at every position while being forced to cut payroll to $75 million. Pretty impressive off-season! Kapanen improvement over Hornqvist, Matheson improvement over JJ, Ceci improvement over Schultz, and Jankowski over what Bjugstad gave us last year.

One more thing it isn't like Rutherford didn't add to the future over these past couple years adding many young assets such as McCann, Pettersson, Marino, POJ, Kapanen, O'Connor, and others. Those players are better young assets than all those picks and prospects combined in all his trades given up over his tenure with the Pens. Will look back in 5 years and that will be the case.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Looks good. Makes plays, finishes them off. Should be on PP1 over Rust.
Rust should be second unit. It's odd to me how they have so many tools yet can't figure out how to use them. To have Sid and Geno is a blessing and the powerplay is something we should look forward to.

But it's such a drag to watch these wankers trying to do some pretty passing play when they should just take the shot more often. Kappy likes to shoot. Thank goodness he's who he is. It's one thing I mentioned about why I like him. He plays his game. He shoots and he's a shooter. He won't force feed passes like Rust tends to with Sid.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
2 goals, 1st star tonight. +3. It was one of the 2 games I watched tonight. Looked good. 12 pts in 18 games now +10. Has he always looked as good as he did tonight? I know some slammed JR for this trade, but he really stepped up without Crosby tonight.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
2 goals, 1st star tonight. +3. It was one of the 2 games I watched tonight. Looked good. 12 pts in 18 games now +10. Has he always looked as good as he did tonight? I know some slammed JR for this trade, but he really stepped up without Crosby tonight.
No, but he has shown some really good flashes. Imo he is not being used right. Would love to see him more in OT (which we have had like 10 appearances it seems), PK, and not being benched for mistakes that other players get a free pass on. Tonight was probably his best game as a Penguin though.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s getting the cold shoulder treatment by Sullivan and he doesn’t appear to be a player that plays a game which shows up well analytically. I like him a lot though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He’s getting the cold shoulder treatment by Sullivan and he doesn’t appear to be a player that plays a game which shows up well analytically. I like him a lot though.
He looked good tonight. Maybe this will kickstart him with Sullivan. Not to say I am not rooting for him, I follow the Islanders, and am primarily a NHL fan that watches the league. Just thought he was unfairly treated when JR traded for him. To me, he can play like a 15th pick right away. I do understand Pens window is now so in that way, the trade made sense. I thought he was a better player than was given credit for when the deal went down. So in that way, I am happy for him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He looked good tonight. Maybe this will kickstart him with Sullivan. Not to say I am not rooting for him, I follow the Islanders, and am primarily a NHL fan that watches the league. Just thought he was unfairly treated when JR traded for him. To me, he can play like a 15th pick right away. I do understand Pens window is now so in that way, the trade made sense.

It won't. Sullivan is stubborn as they come.

As soon as Crosby is back Malkin will get spare parts, McCann will be back to the wing and Kapanen will be thrown in the line blender and he will wonder why it ain't working.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Kind of weird how adamant Toronto fans were that Kapanen lacked creativity and couldn’t finish. I haven’t seen that at all so far.
Most of us loved Kappy.
If he improved in this regard, we knew he had the tools to be a real player.
Has he been getting as many breakaways? That was the issue, he was wicked straight line; but had a tough time sealing the deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad