Karri Ramo

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Ahh, i did say so far. Time will tell I guess. Ramo is the first goalie ever who can let in 5 goals twice in 3 games and have people gush about how "solid" he is.

He needs a couple of shutouts just to get his numbers down to the same crap levels that got him run out of the NHL for the first time.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Ahh, i did say so far. Time will tell I guess. Ramo is the first goalie ever who can let in 5 goals twice in 3 games and have people gush about how "solid" he is.

He needs a couple of shutouts just to get his numbers down to the same crap levels that got him run out of the NHL for the first time.
It helps to watch the games instead of only stat watching if you want someone to take your "opinions" seriously :rolly:

I mean I guess Lundqvist will be ran out of the league shortly too? Maybe we can pick him up on the waiver wire soon?

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Really. You are gonna play the "You don't even watch hockey" thing. And then say that I can't be taken seriously?

MacDonald has been better than Ramo so far. Deal with it.

FIVE goals. 1,2,3,5 all side to side goals. 4 was a floater from blueline right through the 5 hole. 3 goals in 61 seconds. Real solid.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
The team was horrendous defensively last night. Ramo is hardly perfect, but he's simply a better goaltender than J-Mac. Joey would not have won the game against DAL.

The real question is if Berra is better than Ramo. We might find out soon.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Not a chance. Ramo has been solid. Mac is always flopping all over the place. A goalie making a bunch of highlight reel saves in a win isn't exactly a good sign in itself. Hopefully the team will give Karri a good game next time he's in though.

Martin Brodeur said it best, 'if you don't see me making highlight reel saves, you know I had a good game, because I was never caught out of position in the first place.' or something along those line, in any case, highlight reels saves do not make a goalie good, they show athleticism and a knack for being caught out of position.

Aug 3, 2010
Martin Brodeur said it best, 'if you don't see me making highlight reel saves, you know I had a good game, because I was never caught out of position in the first place.' or something along those line, in any case, highlight reels saves do not make a goalie good, they show athleticism and a knack for being caught out of position.
Pretty much the only exception for this rule would have been Dominic Hasek.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Really. You are gonna play the "You don't even watch hockey" thing. And then say that I can't be taken seriously?

MacDonald has been better than Ramo so far. Deal with it.

FIVE goals. 1,2,3,5 all side to side goals. 4 was a floater from blueline right through the 5 hole. 3 goals in 61 seconds. Real solid.

Ramo can do no wrong on this forum. He's the new golden boy.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Our goaltending is what it is, without Kiprusoff these types of games are going to be more common than they were the last 10 years. Thats just the way its going to be. Our defense is bad, so our GA will be bad. Ramo wasn't great last night, but in no way did he lose us that game. God awful defense lost us that game, and no goalie in our system could have won it for us. Unless one of you knows Kiprusoff and could convince him to come back.

The first goal was gorgeous, the second he got a piece of and probably should have had, the third was a cannon by Benn, and 4 was a floater from the blueline? That shot was fired into a screen and deflected straight down right in front of Ramo. The only one that he can really feel bad about was 5 and at that point the game was over, and thats besides the fact that the 5th goal was the exact reason the nets were shortened. Seriously, whats the point in trolling the Flames board.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I've never been sold on Ramo, but at this point I think Joey Mac is much better.

People say the Mac puts himself in bad situations to make the desperation save; Ramo does too, but he doesn't make the save.

He just doesn't have the compete or the fire that J-Mac has.

He just looks better because he's more orthodox.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've never been sold on Ramo, but at this point I think Joey Mac is much better.

People say the Mac puts himself in bad situations to make the desperation save; Ramo does too, but he doesn't make the save.

He just doesn't have the compete or the fire that J-Mac has.

He just looks better because he's more orthodox.

I'd say both have given us plenty of reason to worry by now. I still lean towards Ramo because he's got more room to develop and if he does, he could be in our organization for a long time. Also, I've been more impressed by his play. I think it's garbage to suggest that Ramo doesn't compete just because he has a quieter style.

It's easy to say things like this after a rough game for Ramo, but have you forgotten the game against Washington, where he made the stack pad save among others (clearly with no fire)? Have you also forgotten Mac's last start, where he looked shaky the whole time?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I'd say both have given us plenty of reason to worry by now. I still lean towards Ramo because he's got more room to develop and if he does, he could be in our organization for a long time. Also, I've been more impressed by his play. I think it's garbage to suggest that Ramo doesn't compete just because he has a quieter style.

It's easy to say things like this after a rough game for Ramo, but have you forgotten the game against Washington, where he made the stack pad save among others (clearly with no fire)? Have you also forgotten Mac's last start, where he looked shaky the whole time?

No it's because when he gives up a bad rebound he just sits there and watches them score. Not just on Lupul's goal but I've seen it a few times already this year. I get that his lateral movement is slow as molasses but he can at least try.

And he should have been at least somewhat upset at himself tonight, but he's at the bench laughing and joking with Mac at the end of the game like he doesn't give a ****. That's something you just never see and should never.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No it's because when he gives up a bad rebound he just sits there and watches them score. Not just on Lupul's goal but I've seen it a few times already this year. I get that his lateral movement is slow as molasses but he can at least try.

And he should have been at least somewhat upset at himself tonight, but he's at the bench laughing and joking with Mac at the end of the game like he doesn't give a ****. That's something you just never see and should never.

Have you ever participated in a sport? Sometimes funny things happen at tense moments. Maybe it was Joey Mac cracking the joke. In the moment, Ramo was frustrated with his play. You could tell by his reaction to JVR's goal.

I just feel like you're looking at things with tinted glasses. Did you see MacDonald's lateral movement on Vrbata's goal in Phoenix? Did it look like he was competing on that play? Not just on that goal, but I've seen it a few times this year.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Yes I played goalie for many years actually. Also boxing, some soccer, I've played many sports.

His poor lateral movement was one of the first things I noticed about him, and he's shown it plenty of times.

Also, I never said he has no fire or compete, just not on the same level as Mac. J-Mac has it in spades which is one of the best qualities a goalie can have. His will to stop the puck compensates for his crazy style in the same way that it does for Thomas and Hasek. Of course he's not on their level but it takes a lot of fire to make those types of saves.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
People have been in Kipper-comfort for too long. These things happen... to normal goalies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Yes I played goalie for many years actually. Also boxing, some soccer, I've played many sports.

His poor lateral movement was one of the first things I noticed about him, and he's shown it plenty of times.

Also, I never said he has no fire or compete, just not on the same level as Mac. J-Mac has it in spades which is one of the best qualities a goalie can have. His will to stop the puck compensates for his crazy style in the same way that it does for Thomas and Hasek. Of course he's not on their level but it takes a lot of fire to make those types of saves.

How fair is it to judge the compete level of a goalie through a TV screen? I think that's really going out on a limb. It's a stylistic difference being interpreted as a matter of attitude.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I'm not sure this is really a qualification we should look at. I mean, I could claim I'm a goalie in ice hockey, field hockey, and soccer and defend Ramo and we'd be at an impasse.

Actually, let's do that. As a goalie, I really try to keep track of the style of the goaltender of teams.

I'm not sure it's lateral movement as rebound control. A lot of Ramo's shots go easily 20 feet out in nice shooting positions and he's forced to scramble. After years of Kiprusoff, I'm not sure some people are used to seeing goalies who scramble without that incredible calm and poise we saw from #34. What you may be thinking about is that he doesn't have the Kiprusoff god-like mobility and is still readjusting to the NHL shot speed. You can that he has problems tracking the occasional shot because it came earlier than expected.

No goalie likes letting goals in. I think that's a fair claim for me to make.

On the miracle saves side, Ramo has done just fine. There were some games he has had lots and lots of quality opportunities against and shut the door. It's easy to say after a single game that he's a train wreck because he didn't stop that one chance that he could have had if he had seeming omniscience like the top 5 goalies in the league. It's harder to claim that he does that when we consider games like Washington as well. He is an up and down goalie, yes. Most are. It's rare to see a goalie who can be on top of things literally every single night. But he seems to average out around the starter level of his pay...let's not forget, Ramo is on a 3 million dollar salary. He's on Nabokov, Neuvirth, Bishop type money, going by contract start year. We shouldn't expect a miracle maker out there...just a guy who can be used as a starter. I think if we placed any of the former 3 to the same scrutiny, they'd look fairly soft as well.

Ramo is being paid like a mediocre starter and his stats seem to reflect that.

Some goalies have it by brimstone in their play, I agree. Thomas, Hasek, MacDonald all play with a bit of that unusual edge to them. But that's not to say that calm and composed goaltenders don't have drive either. Reimer is composed, but I wouldn't say that he isn't an noncompetitive goalie. The big difference for me is that MacDonald really lacks fundamental skills. The way he plays, he often loses track of his net and that puts him in a bad position. And that hurts him a lot...all too often, he has to fight on easy saves and it puts players on edge. Is this the shot that is going to cause a scramble in front? He's a great guy, but seems too willing to abandon his style. Thomas and Hasek were a little different...they had the fundamental skills built in and knew when to save with wild abandon as oppose to keep the (loose) system intact. MacDonald seems to lack that aspect a bit more in his game. And it's a bit too late for him to learn it.

Honestly, I find the heart attack sequences are far less common with Ramo.

...Not to mention, the fact that we are 3rd party observers hurts our ability to judge too.

Last edited:

Syan Ruter

Snusmumriken
Nov 8, 2012
Wild fan coming in peace. Let me tell you, Ramo has been a stud almost all of his career when playing in Europe. I have a feeling that he needs to get a streak going to build up confidence in order to handle the NA game. Patience is virtue with him, but ultimately time will tell. Good luck guys, I've always loved Calgary! Rooting for ya!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad