Karri Ramo

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I'd say that the "Maher in the Morning" segment from 8 until 8:15am on the Fan 960 is the most reliable place to get Flames news. In fact I set my clock radio just for that.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Sources I am likely to believe in order from most likely to least likely:

- Bob McKenzie
-
- TSN in general
-
- Team Staff/Management
-
- Local beat writers
-
- Eklund/Hockeybuzz on draft or deadline days
-
-
- HFBoards posters I'm accustomed to seeing
-
- Random HFBoards poster
-
-
-
- Eklund/HockeyBuzz when it's not deadline day or draft day

I'll give you a guess as to where I would slot you in, Marquee.

He's still above non deadline Eklund :P

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Theres no conspiracy here, they were showcasing Joey Mac, its pretty obvious given he has gotten the easier starts.
Yeah okay, because the goaltending market is so hot Joey MacDonald will become suddenly worth something :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No, in all seriousness, I wonder if the Dallas Stars would have any interest. Kari Lehtonen seems to be plagued by minor injuries and their current backup, Dan Ellis, is maybe playing pretty badly from what I can tell (which is only based off his stats).

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah okay, because the goaltending market is so hot Joey MacDonald will become suddenly worth something :laugh:

We got him for nothing.

I am not trying to argue they are looking to trade him for a 1st rounder for him, but if they can use him to recover one of those 4th or 5th rounders that we have traded it would be worth it. Seeing as he is still a capable backup goalie, so giving him the starts/a shot to prove himself isn't a bad thing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No, in all seriousness, I wonder if the Dallas Stars would have any interest. Kari Lehtonen seems to be plagued by minor injuries and their current backup, Dan Ellis, is maybe playing pretty badly from what I can tell (which is only based off his stats).

pitt's still makes a ton of sense given how terrible their backup was and how uncertain Vokoun's recover is.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The Penguins will see what they have in Hartzell before trading for anything. Also waiting for an update on Vokouns injury.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
In my opinion there's no chance that the Flames were playing MacDonald because they were trying to showcase him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
We got him for nothing.

I am not trying to argue they are looking to trade him for a 1st rounder for him, but if they can use him to recover one of those 4th or 5th rounders that we have traded it would be worth it. Seeing as he is still a capable backup goalie, so giving him the starts/a shot to prove himself isn't a bad thing.
The Flames are not showcasing MacDonald. The suggestion is so out to lunch it's downright hilarious.

You don't need to showcase a 33 year old goaltender who is in his 8th NHL season and 5th NHL club. Teams already know what they would get from him, the only reason why there was a question mark when we got him was his back injury he was coming off of.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
The Flames are not showcasing MacDonald. The suggestion is so out to lunch it's downright hilarious.

You don't need to showcase a 33 year old goaltender who is in his 8th NHL season and 5th NHL club. Teams already know what they would get from him, the only reason why there was a question mark when we got him was his back injury he was coming off of.

So if your a GM searching for an experienced backup, you wouldn't want to see how he can perform this season and instead rely on information he provided in his last few years?

That is a pretty out to lunch way of gauging a goalies ability, that it's down right hilarious.

If teams are knocking best believe the Flames will be listening when it sounds like Berra is perfectly capable of assuming a backup role.

But no team knocks if they don't see him play a few games together. It's not suggesting he is being 'shopped' but he sure isn't being labeled an untouchable and you sure can't generate interest if he's on the bench for 8 of 9 games.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

No team will come knocking if he isn't playing games.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't even understand the argument going on:laugh:

Is it possible that Mac is being shopped? Yes of course we all know we have a 3 headed monster in net and someone will have to go one way or another and Mac being the oldest makes the most since.

Then again Mac has been around for most of a decade so teams know what he brings and probably don't need all that many looks at him to know if they want him.

I believe that if anything Mac was given a chance to prove to Hartley that he deserves to be the #1 guy as he got the least amount of games in preseason. I think he proved he is a decent backup but isn't the answer which is why we gave Ramo the next 2.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think Mac was getting games for the sole purpose of to showcase him, but him playing well will definitely have an affect on any trade value he may be accumulating. I think Hartley has the freedom to play who ever he thinks will give us the best chance to win, and if it is creating trade value for him in the process well then that is just a bonus.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The idea that the Flames are playing MacDonald so he can be "showcased" is indeed pretty amusing.

It might be a by-product of having him start on a semi-regular basis, and the end result is other teams have a better opportunity to assess his ability but it's not the sole intent by any means.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
good to hear karri is getting the start in dallas

Never in doubt. MacDonald was just plain weird yesterday. What kind of goalie gives a guy a wide open net to shoot at for more than a half-second with the puck on the perimeter?

It's like Joey was saying "nah, no worries, he's not going to shoot... **** he shot."

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll bet all my Vcash that if Ramo struggles over the next 2 games that Berra will be called up. That said, I think he's been solid and improved each game he's played, he's now going to get a legit shot to be our starter, it's up to him to seize it.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Never in doubt. MacDonald was just plain weird yesterday. What kind of goalie gives a guy a wide open net to shoot at for more than a half-second with the puck on the perimeter?

It's like Joey was saying "nah, no worries, he's not going to shoot... **** he shot."

Are you talking about the first goal? Because what happened is that he did not see the beauty slap pass that Yandle made to the far side of the net. He thought the puck was still coming straight at him as he was screened. I admit his reaction was a little slow, but he clearly was not engaged with the right shooter until it was too late.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Are you talking about the first goal? Because what happened is that he did not see the beauty slap pass that Yandle made to the far side of the net. He thought the puck was still coming straight at him as he was screened. I admit his reaction was a little slow, but he clearly was not engaged with the right shooter until it was too late.

Yeah, I was just describing what it looked like in real time, but it was optically very bad. As far as whether MacDonald could be blamed for something he couldn't see, I would say, without wanting to be too harsh on the guy, absolutely. Part of his job is to track the puck, and in addition to that, when he lost sight of it, he put himself in a position where even when he spotted the puck, he was completely unable to move.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Joey Macdonald has been the Flames best goalie so far. Sometimes he wins too.
Not a chance. Ramo has been solid. Mac is always flopping all over the place. A goalie making a bunch of highlight reel saves in a win isn't exactly a good sign in itself. Hopefully the team will give Karri a good game next time he's in though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad