Karri Ramo

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ramo is still adjusting to NHL size rinks. There is a lot more traffic and the the reaction time to shots is shorter due to the smaller ice surface. Games like last night will happen.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
I'm not sure this is really a qualification we should look at. I mean, I could claim I'm a goalie in ice hockey, field hockey, and soccer and defend Ramo and we'd be at an impasse.

Actually, let's do that. As a goalie, I really try to keep track of the style of the goaltender of teams.

I'm not sure it's lateral movement as rebound control. A lot of Ramo's shots go easily 20 feet out in nice shooting positions and he's forced to scramble. After years of Kiprusoff, I'm not sure some people are used to seeing goalies who scramble without that incredible calm and poise we saw from #34. What you may be thinking about is that he doesn't have the Kiprusoff god-like mobility and is still readjusting to the NHL shot speed. You can that he has problems tracking the occasional shot because it came earlier than expected.

No goalie likes letting goals in. I think that's a fair claim for me to make.

On the miracle saves side, Ramo has done just fine. There were some games he has had lots and lots of quality opportunities against and shut the door. It's easy to say after a single game that he's a train wreck because he didn't stop that one chance that he could have had if he had seeming omniscience like the top 5 goalies in the league. It's harder to claim that he does that when we consider games like Washington as well. He is an up and down goalie, yes. Most are. It's rare to see a goalie who can be on top of things literally every single night. But he seems to average out around the starter level of his pay...let's not forget, Ramo is on a 3 million dollar salary. He's on Nabokov, Neuvirth, Bishop type money, going by contract start year. We shouldn't expect a miracle maker out there...just a guy who can be used as a starter. I think if we placed any of the former 3 to the same scrutiny, they'd look fairly soft as well.

Ramo is being paid like a mediocre starter and his stats seem to reflect that.

Some goalies have it by brimstone in their play, I agree. Thomas, Hasek, MacDonald all play with a bit of that unusual edge to them. But that's not to say that calm and composed goaltenders don't have drive either. Reimer is composed, but I wouldn't say that he isn't an noncompetitive goalie. The big difference for me is that MacDonald really lacks fundamental skills. The way he plays, he often loses track of his net and that puts him in a bad position. And that hurts him a lot...all too often, he has to fight on easy saves and it puts players on edge. Is this the shot that is going to cause a scramble in front? He's a great guy, but seems too willing to abandon his style. Thomas and Hasek were a little different...they had the fundamental skills built in and knew when to save with wild abandon as oppose to keep the (loose) system intact. MacDonald seems to lack that aspect a bit more in his game. And it's a bit too late for him to learn it.

Honestly, I find the heart attack sequences are far less common with Ramo.

...Not to mention, the fact that we are 3rd party observers hurts our ability to judge too.

Firstly, I only said I was a goalie because a poster asked me if I ever played sports. I was merely answering a question.

Secondly, I think it's silly that posters are suggesting that Kipper has ruined my expectations. Even if I only watched the Flames, I'd still be seeing two goalies per game. But I watch lots of hockey and I've seen lots of goalies, and Ramo simply has some of the worst lateral mobility that I can remember seeing at the NHL level.

A perfect example is his first game. Got deked out bad on a breakaway and then eaten alive at the SO, simply because he was just too slow. It's not even that he was late getting over to the post; in all three cases he didn't even make it to the post at all! It's a serious weakness and he's shown it many times already.

I was very optimistic about him coming over, but now I have serious doubts about whether he can be the guy we need him to be. Unless Berra is that guy, I don't see us getting rid of Joey Mac any time soon.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Firstly, I only said I was a goalie because a poster asked me if I ever played sports. I was merely answering a question.

Secondly, I think it's silly that posters are suggesting that Kipper has ruined my expectations. Even if I only watched the Flames, I'd still be seeing two goalies per game. But I watch lots of hockey and I've seen lots of goalies, and Ramo simply has some of the worst lateral mobility that I can remember seeing at the NHL level.

A perfect example is his first game. Got deked out bad on a breakaway and then eaten alive at the SO, simply because he was just too slow. It's not even that he was late getting over to the post; in all three cases he didn't even make it to the post at all! It's a serious weakness and he's shown it many times already.

I was very optimistic about him coming over, but now I have serious doubts about whether he can be the guy we need him to be. Unless Berra is that guy, I don't see us getting rid of Joey Mac any time soon.
wasnt too slow on the breakaway the guy just had enough time to put it side to side 3 or 4 times to get him to bite. Forehand backhand is always tough for a goalie in a shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->