Karri Ramo

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
What's the deal here? Big offseason signing by Feaster. Great KHL resume, yet Joey Mac getting the starts?

Think KR will get the nod soon and run with it? He should be able to take the reigns no question you'd figure.

What's the word? Thoughts?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Joey Stacks has been playing great. When Ramo gets the start (whenever that will be) he has to take the ball and run with it.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I think we might see Ramo again this Saturday vs the Sharks.

Which would be bad given that game is going to be an absolute massacre. The sharks are very very good this year. Hence what they've done to every team they've played this year. Most recently the blues the other night.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Which would be bad given that game is going to be an absolute massacre. The sharks are very very good this year. Hence what they've done to every team they've played this year. Most recently the blues the other night.

Nah, flames will be the team to set'm straight.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

They lost to Detroit tonight. No game is impossible.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think it's more Hartley going with the goalie he likes more. There has been no reason to start Mac straight since the opener.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not sure why Hartley keeps going back to Joey Mac.

He's made a couple of big + sometimes out of position saves, but he's let a couple in that a larger goalie would have had an easier time stopping (not saying they would have, but could have). His underlying numbers don't show any play better than his usual either.

I can only assume he was kept in because the team wasn't losing. I'd except Ramo back in tomorrow.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Joey Mac has not played "great" by any definition of the word. He's played like a $1M backup and the team in front of him has played great.

I really have no idea why Joey gets all these starts. Maybe Rämö has really sucked in practice, maybe he's nursing an injury, maybe they're trying to tank already, maybe they're showcasing Joey for a trade (+subsequent Berra callup)? If Rämö only gets one start (LAK or PHX) in this roadtrip I'll be pretty mad.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mac is getting starts because he has been playing better.

Must be quite a shock to you.

He's playing better than what, exactly? Ramo hasn't played since Washington, where he was good except for getting victimized by a few deflected Ovechkin shots. I haven't seen any performances from Joey Mac where, for 60 minutes, he was markedly better than Ramo's first start. Ramo's SV% is slightly higher, so there's no real statistical basis for that argument either.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta

I don't get it. Why would it be bad?? And is this game really going to be a massacre? I'm asking because you seem to be the one around here that can see the future...Flames are gonna finish bottom 3, Flames are gonna get massacred by San Jose...You should be picking my Sport Selects bro.

I think Ramo is our best goalie, but I don't blame Hartley for playing Joey because he has been playing very well to start the season. As someone said, it could be to stoke some interest because I think we're going to have to get something for one of these guys going forward.

When it comes to Ramo, I think it's pretty exciting because no one really knows what he's capable of yet. He had a weak game to start the preseason, and then played solid, and then had an alright game to start the season and then hasn't seen the ice again. The thing about this guy though, is that he can be straight up dominant. During the first round of the playoffs last year he had three shutouts . He goes lights out when he needs to, but it's just something we haven't had the chance to see yet here.

Personally, I like Ramo to start against San Jose. They have been a great team so far this season, yes, but they are not going to beat everyone, and if anyone is going to steal a game, I can see Karri Ramo (roll the 'r's) being the man to do it. I know most of you don't follow the KHL much, but when this dude comes alive, you're going to see glimpses of Kipper.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
I don't get it. Why would it be bad?? And is this game really going to be a massacre? I'm asking because you seem to be the one around here that can see the future...Flames are gonna finish bottom 3, Flames are gonna get massacred by San Jose...You should be picking my Sport Selects bro.

I think Ramo is our best goalie, but I don't blame Hartley for playing Joey because he has been playing very well to start the season. As someone said, it could be to stoke some interest because I think we're going to have to get something for one of these guys going forward.

When it comes to Ramo, I think it's pretty exciting because no one really knows what he's capable of yet. He had a weak game to start the preseason, and then played solid, and then had an alright game to start the season and then hasn't seen the ice again. The thing about this guy though, is that he can be straight up dominant. During the first round of the playoffs last year he had three shutouts . He goes lights out when he needs to, but it's just something we haven't had the chance to see yet here.

Personally, I like Ramo to start against San Jose. They have been a great team so far this season, yes, but they are not going to beat everyone, and if anyone is going to steal a game, I can see Karri Ramo (roll the 'r's) being the man to do it. I know most of you don't follow the KHL much, but when this dude comes alive, you're going to see glimpses of Kipper.

I watched everyone of the last half of the season and playoffs, and can tell you that he plays very much like Kipper. You could even mistake one for the other when watching them play. I really want to see Ramo play, and even more than that I want to see him play well. I think this team could be surprisingly dangerous if they get the kind of goaltending Ramo is capable of providing. He has another level to his game that MacD, while being a solid backup, isn't capable of touching. Ramo has a beast on his mask for a reason, and I hope we get to see it soon.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
He's playing better than what, exactly? Ramo hasn't played since Washington, where he was good except for getting victimized by a few deflected Ovechkin shots. I haven't seen any performances from Joey Mac where, for 60 minutes, he was markedly better than Ramo's first start. Ramo's SV% is slightly higher, so there's no real statistical basis for that argument either.

Not rehashing this debate again but I don't think you guys are really looking at this fairly.

TylerSVT*

How can you say he is playing better when Ramo hasn't been playing at all? I would however love to see Berra in a Flames uni now that he is acclimatized to the NA game. He's looked great in Abb.

Ramo played ok one game, Joey played better the first game he played.

Ride the hot hand, i don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. It's not like Joey Mac is going to get 70+ starts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not rehashing this debate again but I don't think you guys are really looking at this fairly.

No, what isn't fair is to try to compare the play of one guy who's had one game and another who's had five and use it in a pretty obnoxious way as an argument. There is just no case for MacDonald being a better goalie until Ramo is actually tested. One game doesn't give us anything to go on, really. We have no way of knowing if the goals he let in are the norm, or flukes, and vice versa for the saves. For MacDonald, we have seen enough of the guy even last season to know his MO. He makes big, impressive saves, and lets in some softies. He is good for about 3GA per game, and you have no idea how those are going to come about.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I have no idea what you guys are arguing about. Mac-N-Stack has played very well for us and because of it Hartley ran with the hotter hand (it was a gut decision as he called it). Ramo will get plenty more chances to prove he is a starter, but lets not forget that unlike Mac he has been adjusting to the NHL ice and communicating with his defensemen were as Mac had last season for the defenseman to get use to his playing style.

We are 6 games in lets calm down there will be plenty of chances for all 3 goalies.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Ramo played ok one game, Joey played better the first game he played.

Ride the hot hand, i don't know why anyone would have a problem with this. It's not like Joey Mac is going to get 70+ starts.

Except he hasn't been the hot hand, you're confusing the team playing well for Joey playing well, he has been mediocre at best. He still lets in bad goals and then convinces everyone those don't matter with one or two ten bell saves. He's letting in goals you could argue are quite stoppable, and if that is happening night in and night out, then he has not been the hot hand. Ramo is the one with the high ceiling, he's the one with the potential to be our starter, and he will never have a chance to reach that sitting on the bench when he should be playing. The exact same thing has happened to Irving over the last 5 years and I'm absolutely sick of seeing it. I understand the position of, don't gift him the opportunity, make him earn it, but how in the hell can he earn it sitting on the bench when the guy starting has done no better or worse than he has, but has still started 5 out of the 6 games.

I'm sick of it, truly sick of it. McDonald should be starting only in the case of B2B games and in the event Ramo struggles in a game. No other time. He is at best our backup, at worst Abbottsfords back up. He should not be gifted starts that by all accounts should be Ramos to lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad