Waived: Karri Ramo (update: recalled from Stockton)

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Would you start Ortio against both Montreal and Edmonton then?

I'd start Ortio against Montreal. Ramo can play the next night against Edmonton. I'd start Ortio any chance we can given the nights aren't back to back. We 100% know what we have got with Ramo and Hiller (ie not a legit starter). We don't know what we have in Ortio, and I'd rather find that out than play Ramo.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I was bored at work tonight and decided to see how much better Ramo's save percentage has been over the course of this 10 game stretch.

In the last 5 games since Nov. 12 vs Tampa up until the game last night vs Chicago, he's faced 144 shots and made 133 saves. That's good for a .924 save percentage.

Over this last 10 game stretch, he started off a little shaky but his save percentage over the 10 games is still .907. Facing 291 shots and making 264 saves.

Hopefully this is getting his confidence back and he'll continue at least playing solid for the rest of the season. He's not letting those soft goals in nearly as much as he was earlier in the season, so everything seemed to be at least going in the right direction for him finally.

What do you guys think will happen once Hiller comes back? I think they will just send Ortio down to the minors and run with Hiller and Ramo for the rest of the season. Since Ortio has struggled this season, I think that's going to potentially scare off a team that might have thought about putting in a claim for him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ortio will get waived, they didn't even play him on a back-to-back. Then Ramo and Hiller will be used exactly like last season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A little premature, Ace. Waive him and see if he clears. No need to attempt to predict the future at this point. He's still young.

Meanwhile, a graph of Ramo's play so far this season with respect to time would roughly resemble a ramp. Makes you think.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yeah, I think Ortio is done as a Flame personally - chalk him up to another backup goalie that just didn't pan out despite flashes of competence. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he's back in Europe by this time next season.

I think it's incredibly early to make a statement like this. He's started <10 games in his NHL career. It's impossible to make a sweeping declaration based on that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm on the fence with Ortio, it's obvious right now that he's not NHL ready. He may never be like Ace said, but he might still have a chance at a career in the NHL at some point. It is quite a bit like the Irving situation, thankfully Feaster is gone.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think it's incredibly early to make a statement like this. He's started <10 games in his NHL career. It's impossible to make a sweeping declaration based on that.
I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong, but I've honestly never been impressed with Ortio, even in his first stint here. He's young enough to keep him around "just in case" but has performed miserably in his last number of starts, going back to last season.

If he isn't claimed (and he still might be) when he's assigned to Stockton after Hiller's return, I don't think another contract offer is in the cards.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong, but I've honestly never been impressed with Ortio, even in his first stint here. He's young enough to keep him around "just in case" but has performed miserably in his last number of starts, going back to last season.

If he isn't claimed (and he still might be) when he's assigned to Stockton after Hiller's return, I don't think another contract offer is in the cards.
I completely agree with Ace, but that should be no shock. I've been beating this drum for a while.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I mean, I guess if management thinks Gillies is relatively close to being NHL-ready (and it's pretty clear they have more faith/investment in his development than in Ortio's) then it wouldn't surprise me to see Ortio cut loose. I just think it would be a little short-sighted at this point to let him go for nothing (if he were waived and claimed) when he's hardly been given the opportunity to play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I mean, I guess if management thinks Gillies is relatively close to being NHL-ready (and it's pretty clear they have more faith/investment in his development than in Ortio's) then it wouldn't surprise me to see Ortio cut loose. I just think it would be a little short-sighted at this point to let him go for nothing (if he were waived and claimed) when he's hardly been given the opportunity to play.
I don't think anyone wants to lose him for nothing but frankly with Poulin in the organization now that blow has been softened considerably. After all Poulin is only a year older and has 50 games on NHL experience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'd also like to point out I have been on the waive Ortio train since the very start. Not that I wanted to see him fail. Just always felt that was the best plan.

I don't think anyone wants a player to fail. I love being wrong when I don't think a player will make it for us.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Supposing Ortio is waived and sent to Stockton, he'll share duties with Poulin correct?

I assume hip surgery for Gillies means he'll be out long term?

Poulin left Saturday's game mid-shootout after his knee buckled. Fan speculation has him out long term.
Gillies will be out 4-6 months if he opts for hip surgery, but some goalies have played though pain for years before having surgery, so him waiting until the offseason wouldn't be a shock.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I'm on the fence with Ortio, it's obvious right now that he's not NHL ready. He may never be like Ace said, but he might still have a chance at a career in the NHL at some point. It is quite a bit like the Irving situation, thankfully Feaster is gone.

I don't think that is the case whatsoever..which is the problem. You can't possible make that determination based on the lack of opportunity he has received this year, and obviously Brad Treliving thinks enough of him as to not expose him to waivers at a time in which he would have been claimed.

The handling of Ortio by Hartley specifically has been abysmal, although with that said it is all but a guarantee now that Ortio will clear waivers when exposed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad