Waived: Karri Ramo (update: recalled from Stockton)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Uness, he is guaranteed his money I wouldn't go to Russia/KHL.
Could be a pride thing. Sure he would be leaving 3+ million on the table here, but he should be able to get 1.5-2 million in the KHL as an elite goaltender there. So being a starter in the KHL or another European country as a #1 may mean more to him than platooning with an AHL rookie in the minors.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Very good point Ace. I recall hearing they may not even charge players taxes in Russia

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ramo has reported to the Heat and will dress tonight, the Heat PR tweet did not specify if he will start.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Deebz it's been like 12 seconds since my post, you need to update the thread title :shakehead

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
tumblr_mbhkbxr0zl1qdb4cxo1_r1_500.gif

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
If Ramo is started next game against Montreal over Ortio, I'm gonna lose it. He lost his spot, and should be a backup to Ortio unless things go south fast.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Ramo is started next game against Montreal over Ortio, I'm gonna lose it. He lost his spot, and should be a backup to Ortio unless things go south fast.

Ortio also lost his spot in Long Island, though. Hartley doesn't really owe either goalie the start, and will go with whoever he's more confident in for this game.

May 27, 2012
Earth

The team is 2-7-1. I'm sure playing Ramo over Ortio will affect our playoff position. No goalie had done anything to separate themeselves from one another. The game against the Islanders was his to lose.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Ortio also lost his spot in Long Island, though. Hartley doesn't really owe either goalie the start, and will go with whoever he's more confident in for this game.

The team is 2-7-1. I'm sure playing Ramo over Ortio will affect our playoff position. No goalie had done anything to separate themeselves from one another. The game against the Islanders was his to lose.

I don't necessarily disagree with both of you. I just have a hard time thinking Ortio was in game shape in Long Island after sitting on the bench for a month with minimal practice. He should get a 5 game try out like Hiller and Ramo and judgement should be made from there. I'd give him 2-3 more games to test the waters with him before giving it back to Ramo.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Don't think that's true. Even that 2nd goal he let in, the shot looked like it was heavily influenced by Russell's stick. However he still should've been better with it.

The other three goals were the defensive coverage being nothing more than a pile of dog ****. Ortio had no chance stopping them except for maybe the 3rd one where it was a shot into the low-glove side from the slot.

He was easily one of our best players in Long Island imo.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ortio played in 1 game... And he kept us in the game until the third period. After sitting on the bench for 3 weeks. No goalie should go three weeks without playing, receive a sub-par effort against a good team and get blamed for the loss.

Ramo and Hiller each had 4+ chances. Neither played well enough to deserve anything other then time on the bench. Ortio deserves at least Friday.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ortio played in 1 game... And he kept us in the game until the third period. After sitting on the bench for 3 weeks. No goalie should go three weeks without playing, receive a sub-par effort against a good team and get blamed for the loss.

Ramo and Hiller each had 4+ chances. Neither played well enough to deserve anything other then time on the bench. Ortio deserves at least Friday.
I don't necessarily disagree with both of you. I just have a hard time thinking Ortio was in game shape in Long Island after sitting on the bench for a month with minimal practice. He should get a 5 game try out like Hiller and Ramo and judgement should be made from there. I'd give him 2-3 more games to test the waters with him before giving it back to Ramo.
These.

Ortio was not in a typical backup situation. Backup's can go weeks without playing a game but they also get quality practice time with a net to themselves.

More than a little unfair to say Ortio blew his chance, especially when neither Ramo nor Hiller have done anything to suggest they deserve further starts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Don't think that's true. Even that 2nd goal he let in, the shot looked like it was heavily influenced by Russell's stick. However he still should've been better with it.

The other three goals were the defensive coverage being nothing more than a pile of dog ****. Ortio had no chance stopping them except for maybe the 3rd one where it was a shot into the low-glove side from the slot.

He was easily one of our best players in Long Island imo.

I just mean objectively, he did lose his job to Hiller. He was the starter in Brooklyn and if he'd won that game or proven himself to be better than the others, he'd absolutely have started the Ottawa game as well. After the game in Brooklyn, Hiller was once again given the proverbial ball to run with, not Ortio.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Glad to see Rano back. Would be surprised if Ortio started over him. Hartley said Ortio was the 3rd guy and I don't see that having changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad