Friedman: Karlsson trade talks picking up, Vancouver interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Vancouver just finished 6th last in the league and lost 3/5 of their top scorers. How does trading for pending UFA Karlsson make sense?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If guys like Pettersson/Hughes/Juolevi are ready to make the jump Vancouver could start doing some damage as early as next year (with EK in their lineup). Who would they move for EK tho? Gotta think Hughes is part of the package.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Well he didn’t turn Ottawa into a playoff contender this past season, so there’s limits to what even Karlsson can do.

We’d still be terrible, just slightly more fun to watch.
You know that he didn't train all summer and was still wearing walking boot at training camp time? By second half of season he was almost himself again then of course lost his son, had the harassment thing happening, etc. That I'm sure was the real erik

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Oh Jimmy Boy....please blow up your prospect pool for one year of Karlsson.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
No point in them aquiring Karlsson. The rebuild is going well but they still need 2-3 years in the basement. Dont rush it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not happening.....Just more baseless speculation ,EF like everybody else in the media, including our own team,s media havent heard a thing from the team in months...Yet he hears EK is going to Van ...come on

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Elliotte's heard something. This is him tweeting unprompted, not a radio host asking him to make something up on the spot to appease the local audience.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Nucks ownership still refusing to allow GM to rebuild hey? ?? I kinda assumed that was over and done with

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Ottawa has to play the cards they are dealt. It might be a shitty hand, but they have to make the best of it.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Not that I'd be happy doing these, nor would I expect Ottawa fans either, but I get the sense that Dorian/Melnyk are targeting players that are NHL ready (as seen in the Hoffman for Boedker deal and drafting Tkachuk).

Here are a few deals, feel free to shoot them down as I don't think Vancouver should even target Karlsson.

Juolevi
Virtanen
Baertschi
2nd rounder 2019/B Prospect

for

Karlsson
Ryan

-

Juolevi
2019 1st rounder (top 5 protected, deferring to 2020)
2019 2nd rounder/B Prospect
Baertschi or Virtanen

for

Karlsson
Ryan

-

Tanev
Juolevi
1st rounder (top 5 protected, deferring to 2020)

for

Karlsson
Ryan

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Even with Karlsson, I think we're a bottom 5-10 team. I wouldn't trade that pick straight up for 1 year of Karlsson, as I doubt he re-signs, and Benning is awful at making trades at the deadline.

But to be fair, I don't think Ottawa would probably take that Demko deal unless they are desperate. We'd have to offer more. Either way, the short term gain vs. long term damage to the team is ridiculous, it makes no sense for Vancouver.

I think that if the Canucks were to add Karlsson and stay healthy we would be in the mix for a playoff spot for most of the year. They may not make it, but I wouldn't expect them to be a bottom feeder again. I also think that the deal would have to be dependent on resigning him long term. Given the history of Swedes in Van, and that it is a pretty amazing city, I don't think it is that far fetched that he would commit long term.

I agree that the Demko deal that you offered is not enough, you'd likely have to add at least Joulevi as the third piece, or more. If it were just Demko, Woo, 1st, I'd do that for sure though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
There has been no logic at all for it to be anything else other than this....We have done nothing but just hold our assets,EM looks to be spending just what he as to..And not committing to anything past next season

Vancouver mentioned for the Canadian clicks.

He also breaks a lot of stuff too. It's the nature of his business, he gets intel and filters through it (obviously some is BS) and then we see what he puts out there. Still a damned good source of information for us and shouldn't be dismissed.

Reactions: Roman Princ

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
He is obviously going to get traded to San Jose, who will then trade him to an Eastern Conference team for a better return than what the Sharks paid. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia