News Article: Karlsson trade is the gift that keeps on giving for rebuilding Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Karlsson isn't worth the contract he signed and I think it'll only get worse

I think his elite abilities we've been accustomed to prior to the last season with us has succumbed to his injuries. His ability to 'pull away' from the opposition is almost non existent which was one of his most lethal attributes. Take away his speed while keeping his average to below average down low coverage and its painfully obvious he's starting to look like a shell of his former self.

For the record I am by no means defending Dorion. The manner leading up to and when it eventually came to actually trading Karlsson was unacceptable.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Yea not really sure how you can look at the standings for the Sens the last few years and say he is a good GM.

When your job is to dump everyone and rebuild drafting are you not expected to be in last? The problem is he can’t really be given a grade until he rebuilds. He more than likely would have loved to keep most of the guys starting from Zbad on, but he does not get to hand out the money, he has the hardest job in the NHL.
When you are the GM and the owner yells “I ain’t paying him” 90% of the time.....yikes

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
When your job is to dump everyone and rebuild drafting are you not expected to be in last? The problem is he can’t really be given a grade until he rebuilds. He more than likely would have loved to keep most of the guys starting from Zbad on, but he does not get to hand out the money, he has the hardest job in the NHL.
When you are the GM and the owner yells “I ain’t paying him” 90% of the time.....yikes
You are making it sound like Melnyk is the one doing the negotiations with other GMs

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You are making it sound like Melnyk is the one doing the negotiations with other GMs
I wonder if Melnyk handed out those contracts to the likes of Burrows, Anderson, Smith and Condon too. Money's tight until a "character guy" needs to get paid.

The trend has continued this year with the putridness of Hainsey and Ennis. Dorion's FA signings are so incredibly terrible.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
We can all be happy and sleep well to know we had Karlsson while he was ELITE.

We can't be sure on his future, but I think a lot of the best memories will be from his time as a Senator.

Long live the King...

Reactions: derriko

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Your making it sound like the GM in Nashville would let the GM in Calgary pull a fast one load up for free and not step in and make a proper offer. Winnipeg does not want stone in Vegas and so on and so forth, the offers are what they are, the best offer.
You don’t think other teams were told about the two roster players a good prospect and multiple draft picks that SJ offered and decided that’s too much?
They are not all in it together and they do not let the competition get a free ride

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

We can't be sure on his future, but I think a lot of the best memories will be from his time as a Senator.

Long live the King...
That's probably true, but I think it's kinda foolish to just write him off. It might not be 82 games of dominance but he still absolutely has the ability to just dominate games, we saw that last post season.

His kid and wife just got home a week and change ago from a long hospital stay. Now things can stabilize for him personally and he can focus on hockey instead of visiting his girls in the hospital.

He doesn't have the burst he once did but he's still the smartest guy on the ice at all times. Don't sleep on him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I wonder if Melnyk handed out those contracts to the likes of Burrows, Anderson, Smith and Condon too. Money's tight until a "character guy" needs to get paid.

The trend has continued this year with the putridness of Hainsey and Ennis. Dorion's FA signings are so incredibly terrible.

Weird how far did that crap budget team make it in the playoffs?

Funny I don’t see those guys being an issue around here do you?
Hainsey plays hard and is fine, I have no problem with him on the team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's probably true, but I think it's kinda foolish to just write him off. It might not be 82 games of dominance but he still absolutely has the ability to just dominate games, we saw that last post season.

His kid and wife just got home a week and change ago from a long hospital stay. Now things can stabilize for him personally and he can focus on hockey instead of visiting his girls in the hospital.

He doesn't have the burst he once did but he's still the smartest guy on the ice at all times. Don't sleep on him.
He’s just so terrible defensively now that it outweighs whatever he does offensively.

Reactions: derriko

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Long live the King...
Some poster put it best.

We got the 11 million dollar version of Karlsson while he was here whereas San Jose has the 6.5 million version

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

I am not writing him off at all. As a fan, I am just hoping we won the trade.

I loved what he did for us. It sucks to lose a guy that the league fans loved too.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I think you're the one doing the mental gymnastics here. The evidence is on the ice for you to watch every single night. Dorion is the architect of a team that is the worst in the NHL three years running and a AHL team that's been the worst since I can hardly even remember that far back (2011 the last time they made the playoffs?). He's earned his reputation as one of the worst managers in all sports. His trades and signings have destroyed this team. He is a failure and a complete disaster. The sooner he is walked out of CTC, the sooner the team can get back to a level of respectability.

Anyone who thinks he's doing a good job is completely unhinged from reality.

If what's on the ice is the only evidence you're looking at, then you're doing it all wrong.

Most of his trades and signings have been great, especially with Melnyk's meddling and penny pinching.

You can't just keep shouting your terrible opinion over and over and pass it off as fact without any reasoning.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If what's on the ice is the only evidence you're looking at, then you're doing it all wrong.

Most of his trades and signings have been great, especially with Melnyk's meddling and penny pinching.

You can't just keep shouting your terrible opinion over and over and pass it off as fact without any reasoning.

The irony of your posts is amazing.

What colour is the sky in your world?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
As far as Erik Karlsson could carry the husks making up the bottom 6 and bottom 4 D.

Come on now everyone one that team fought tooth and nail, one player is not enough to win one game never mind making it a couple rounds deep. He was great yes, but still they all showed up even Bobby Ryan. Karlsson who was unreal scored 2 goals where do you think the rest of the goals came from?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Does anyone else here remember that Edmonton Oilers fan who posted on here last year about how Dorion f’ing crushed that trade?

He went on to describe Erik as a rover. Not a defencemen per-say, but a highly skilled forward playing D. And that he needed a elite level shut down defender as a partner to compensate for his playing style?

Kinda sounds like soothsayer future wisdom now.

I think Wilson will make a trade or two to try and shake things up. And that San Jose will turn it around.

Reactions: Variable26

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Come on now everyone one that team fought tooth and nail, one player is not enough to win one game never mind making it a couple rounds deep. He was great yes, but still they all showed up even Bobby Ryan. Karlsson who was unreal scored 2 goals where do you think the rest of the goals came from?
People getting fed beautiful passes from EK. Anyways, the Sens had a pretty easy road to the ECF.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It's pretty hilarious seeing people around here twist themselves into a pretzel trying to argue that Dorion is a terrible GM. The amount of double standards and mental gymnastics is astounding.

It truly is astounding. There is a contingent of posters here that take the position that it doesn't matter what the team does, they should have done something else. Whatever. We are about 1/5 into the season. For anyone watching we are not historically bad which is a phrase that's been around this year. We've got SJ in bad shape and a turnaround for them may not happen. One of the more respected sports writers that covers the team writes an article in which he's indicating the EK trade is working out for us and here we are.....mental gymnastics because that just cannot be.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
There is a contingent of posters here that take the position that it doesn't matter what the team does, they should have done something else.

I agree that this is pretty annoying.

I also would like to point out, in the spirit of fairness, that the contingent of posters (and I'm not naming names here, but they certainly exist among HFSens) that take the position that regardless of what the team does, it was 100% the right thing to do, are equally annoying.

There are posters here who use some pretty interesting revisionist history, and in doing so some pretty creative and devious arguing styles, on both extreme ends of the general discourse here.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Karlsson played Doug Wilson like a fiddle, right down to that social media post where it seemed like EK was saying goodbye to San Jose. Whatever people think of the package Ottawa received, Karlsson (and/or his agent) knew that Wilson couldn't allow all that to be given up for a one year rental and would offer whatever contract was necessary to keep #65 in teal.

Reactions: JD1 and Xspyrit

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
For anyone watching we are not historically bad which is a phrase that's been around this year.
The Sens are on pace for 53 points.

Last 5 years
Ottawa 64 points
Buffalo 63 points
Avs 48 points (2nd 69 points)
Leafs 69 points
Buffalo 54 points

Hard to be 53 point bad with 3 point games and the Sens have big potential to drop with this tough month. Once hope is gone and the dog days of the season kick in, 53 points will seem like a pipe dream.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
I agree that this is pretty annoying.

I also would like to point out, in the spirit of fairness, that the contingent of posters (and I'm not naming names here, but they certainly exist among HFSens) that take the position that regardless of what the team does, it was 100% the right thing to do, are equally annoying.

There are posters here who use some pretty interesting revisionist history, and in doing so some pretty creative and devious arguing styles, on both extreme ends of the general discourse here.

I'd argue that posters justifying every move for an organization that has been nothing short of a tire fire are twisting logic to a far greater degree.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It truly is astounding. There is a contingent of posters here that take the position that it doesn't matter what the team does, they should have done something else. Whatever. We are about 1/5 into the season. For anyone watching we are not historically bad which is a phrase that's been around this year. We've got SJ in bad shape and a turnaround for them may not happen. One of the more respected sports writers that covers the team writes an article in which he's indicating the EK trade is working out for us and here we are.....mental gymnastics because that just cannot be.

Both of the extreme positions are ridiculous to me. On one side, you can't say that they have the doing whats best because let's look at the results. On the other side, it's really not realistic to expect opposite results considering the context with the owner, etc. It's a business and the players are the products. You need to invest in the product line (team), pay your best players and spend to surround them with quality support players, quality coaching staff, quality goaltending, quality training staff, management, marketing, etc.

At some point if the sales (tickets quantity, ticket prices, merchandise, etc) don't justify the investment required, what can you do? Being in Kanata certainly doesn't help, having an owner that has had personal financial problem also really doesn't help. And we're not even talking about him as a "character"

Dorion is no Murray, can't expect him to do miracles when he was very green to the job. Bryan was criticized a lot but he did really well in the franchise context, made the playoffs 5/9 (while being competitive in 2-3 of the years the team missed) and laid a solid foundation (Karlsson, Zibanejad, Stone, Turris, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, Chabot, White and had some solid vets in Methot, Ryan, Anderson, etc) with great drafting that should have resulted in a consistent contender but after the 2016-17 peak, the team got dismantled instead of being fixed. Methot, MacArthur, Ryan, Anderson, Neil, Michalek, etc all declined due to age/injuries and nothing was done to offset that. Oduya and Burrows? Great careers but they were at the tail end of these careers.

Anyway, doesn't matter, we are where we are today. Need a great draft in 2020 and an ownership change as soon as possible as well as a new arena downtown.

In an ideal world (and with a different owner), Hoffman would have been traded differently, Zibanejad would have never been traded, Karlsson would have been signed at a more friendly cost, even if he ended up overpaid, Stone would have been there all his career, etc. And then surround them better, etc, all the things I talk in the 1st paragraph. But it is what it is, really not ideal but the owner (who decides everything in the end) decided to rebuild entirely (financially too)

Reactions: Upgrayedd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad