Friedman: Karlsson reportedly turned down sens offer of 8×10

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Doughty is the better player between the two, maybe not by much, but personally I think he is. 11 is the max I'd say. 10×8 is not a terrible offer. He wants out though, Hoffman and the fact that Ottawa is going nowhere fast factors into this.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
And that’s your opinion. No question his offense is unreal but I think doughty has a better all around game.
Maybe a few years ago yes but Karlsson has raised his defensive game considerably in the last 2 to 3 yrs. His all around game is on par until you factor in the offensive side which he takes in spades.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Maybe a few years ago yes but Karlsson has raised his defensive game considerably in the last 2 to 3 yrs. His all around game is on par until you factor in the offensive side which he takes in spades.
I would question your ability to evaluate talent. Doughty is still the best Dman in the league! Defensively, it’s not even close, Doughty is at minimum 2 notches above. Offensively, he’s been suppressed by a heavy, defense first system that won him 2 cups. Now that they’ve given him more freedom and played a loser style he put up 60 points. The sheer idiocy of saying Karlsson is Doughty’s defensive equal is ridiculous and shows how little people know about what a defenseman truly is...

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would question your ability to evaluate talent. Doughty is still the best Dman in the league! Defensively, it’s not even close, Doughty is at minimum 2 notches above. Offensively, he’s been suppressed by a heavy, defense first system that won him 2 cups. Now that they’ve given him more freedom and played a loser style he put up 60 points. The sheer idiocy of saying Karlsson is Doughty’s defensive equal is ridiculous and shows how little people know about what a defenseman truly is...

Talent is evaluated in notches?

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
He can get more than 10m, but it does seem like Melnyk was willing to shell out money.

I don't think so. Sounds like an offer made just to be able to say to Sens fans, "Look, we tried to sign him." Easy to make an offer you know will be refused.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Yes of course, we all know how Due Doughty is always being suppressed while Karlsson is playing in one of the NHLs great defensive systems in Ottawa.
Doughty who is a great great player has never once in his life played at the level Karlsson played in the playoffs while injured last year.
Defensively or Offensively

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Did you see Playoff Karlsson 2 years ago? Like you, I used to bash Karlsson's defensive abilities. Now I know better. If he recover to that level he's the best defenseman in the league and close to McDavid for best player in the world.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Yes of course, we all know how Due Doughty is always being suppressed while Karlsson is playing in one of the NHLs great defensive systems in Ottawa.
Doughty who is a great great player has never once in his life played at the level Karlsson played in the playoffs while injured last year.
Defensively or Offensively

You beat me to it!

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
His value is at an all time low. Teams can talk with him about an extension. He knows he isn’t ever re signing with Ottawa. He knows where he is wanted and for how much. Teams know this info also. He may already know where he’d sign and for how much next year. Teams just aren’t going to pay up. Tampa should sit tight and sign him next year after a cup win.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
The offer is better than expected but I think we all know where Ottawa is headed. Without Karlsson they are right their for the Lottery and without Anderson|Hoffman they are probably favourites.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Doughty is the better player between the two, maybe not by much, but personally I think he is. 11 is the max I'd say. 10×8 is not a terrible offer. He wants out though, Hoffman and the fact that Ottawa is going nowhere fast factors into this.

Your personal opinion is one thing. General consensus around the league usually has Karlsson as #1 though.

And much more importantly than that - Doughty himself could have gotten a LOT more on the open market. Easily 13M$+ if he went UFA and tried for max cash.

So compared to that, 8x10 does leave a lot to be desired. At the very least you offer 8x11, so as not to insult the player, considering Doughty just signed for that.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Karlsson may well want to play for another team, but the reason doesnt have to be that Ottawa sucks, but simply that something else is really attractive. I could see TB to be really attractive. Apparently Karlsson and Hedman is "very good friends off ice".

Karlsson have probably had a tough time in his personal life past season. Fleeing down to sunny Florida to his big bear buddy Hedman could seem like a relief.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

Says who, you? This is a message board, thus there's going to be debates.

Did Karlsson turn down the offer because it wasn't enough money, and/ or the Sens are a dumpster fire? Hack-man ( No not Gene....Elliott) doesn't specify. Wish he would.

Reactions: crossbownerf

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think he said no to the money, he said no to the management.

Reactions: Clode

darnok

Mar 15, 2014
Like Tavares, Stamkos, Marner, Mathews and others with good agents, he will wait until the cap rises and he can get the max deal possible. Also he probably knows his value Is lower now due to the sub-standard season he just had. He'll get 12 or 13 next season.
and who doesn't say no to the first offer?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
The offer is better than expected but I think we all know where Ottawa is headed. Without Karlsson they are right their for the Lottery and without Anderson|Hoffman they are probably favourites.

These posts about Ottawa blowing up the roster after Karlsson leaves and Ottawa being a lottery team... you know Ottawa doesn't have its 1st round pick next season, right? And Melnyk/Fedral employee payroll failures/Karlsson fiasco are all threatening attendance next season. This team isn't in a position to tank either.

Reactions: Heart Eater

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
These posts about Ottawa blowing up the roster after Karlsson leaves and Ottawa being a lottery team... you know Ottawa doesn't have its 1st round pick next season, right? And Melnyk/Fedral employee payroll failures/Karlsson fiasco are all threatening attendance next season. This team isn't in a position to tank either.

Look at the roster. It can't be fixed. The only option is the nuclear one.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Look at the roster. It can't be fixed. The only option is the nuclear one.

If Stone and Duchene both balk at re-signing, sure. But it's in Ottawa's best interest to secure those two guys and create a positive environment for their prospects to develop. Trade or draft acquisitions aren't likely to be better than these two, and tanking in 2018-19 is futile without their 1st round pick.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If the Sens want to be able to argue that they made their best attempt to keep Karlsson, they need to make an offer that financially has a reasonable chance of being accepted.
I understand that.

What im saying is he doesn't want to be a Senator...its clear as water. If he was offered a reasonable deal say a deal that mimics Doughty's for example...and he signed it. Do you ..or any Sens fans have any actual confidence that Melnyk will fork up any more money to help build a team around him in the near future?

Unless the Sens get a new owner in the next couple hours/days, which is very very unlikely....Erik Karlsson will be wearing a different teams jersey come fall.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Appears he just wants out of Ottawa. The team is going to suck while it is rebuilding so Karlsson wants to contend for a cup while in his prime. Probably doesn't think much of Melnyks ownership either.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002

I’m fully aware they don’t have their pick. I don’t think they are necessarily in full tank mode I think the team is simply not good enough.

They were not good last year (granted they were the yr prior) and they lost Hoffman, will mostly likely lose their #1 D and #1 goalie. I would expect Karlsson to return a lot of young pieces but I’m not sure they will be impactful next year.

I wouldn’t suggest they will “tank” but I still expect them to be at the bottom of the standings. They could prove me wrong but I don’t see them as competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad