Friedman: Karlsson reportedly turned down sens offer of 8×10

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
just imagine karlsson, hedman, stralman, sergachev and mcdonagh on the tampa bay defense

only girardi still being in the lineup would keep this from being an all world all time defense ^^
Just imagine giving up Sergachev to get Karlsson...

As for the contract offer; surely that’s just where Ottawa started with the idea being they negotiate to a middle ground.

Either way, we’re f***ed.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Ottawa should just pack up the team.

Fans may deserve a franchise but the team is clearly a joke.

What are fans going to watch next year? Stone skate around for 60 mins?

Reactions: amethyst and SML2

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's obvious that EK is not resigning with Sens.
It's becoming obvious that a so called sign and trade is becoming very difficult. EK just might want be a UFA so he can his options open for next season. The more likely cause is that teams can't/won't dismantle their teams to fit EK into their roster this year and for future years.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Ottawa should just pack up the team.

Fans may deserve a franchise but the team is clearly a joke.

What are fans going to watch next year? Stone skate around for 60 mins?
There is no way the league should be talking expansion when this is going on. No offense to those who follow the team, but this is ridiculous.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
There is no way the league should be talking expansion when this is going on. No offense to those who follow the team, but this is ridiculous.

Offense taken. It's no fun to be a Sens fan this summer but 13-14 months ago we were 1 goal away from the final. (lately) Melnyk might represent our "Harold Ballard" years but hopefully we can get through them quickly, at least quicker than the original. Ottawa is a good hockey market. Team sells out and makes money when there is a decent product. When the team moves to Lebreton Ottawa will be a very good hockey market.

Insinuating that Ottawa would be a good candidate for relocation is plain silly. The main problem with Ottawa is Melnyk. Relocate with Melnyk same problem. Relocate without Melnyk (Sale) and the league loses an above average nhl hockey market. I know there is a significant amount of "schadenfreude" for fans of certain teams but lets keep the hyperbole to a minimum. Remember, karma can bite you in the but.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
It only Sens fans weren’t Karlsson fans first and Senators fans second EK might not have this perceived power. He’s not as good as Doughty so should be getting 8x$10MM. However Sens fans have been preaching him as DD’s superior so enjoy the fallout. He’s going to sign somewhere else now

Not just Sens fans. Hockey people - you know, General Managers, players, those sorts of people. Ones who play the game for a living. Some of them know almost as much as Leaf fan Karlsson haters on HF boards. Imagine!

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I would question yours as clearly you are blinded by the fact your a kings fan. I'm neither a fan of Ottawa or LAs and can look at it without rose colored glasses. Doughty is one of the best defensemen in the nhl....true! But Karlsson has been called one of the best players in the NHL by many reputable analysts and sports writers. Karlsson had been seen by many as one of the top 3 players in the world. Doughty might make the top 5 defensemen but wouldn't be in the top 30 of all players.

Yes he's won 2 cups. And? Teams win cups not individuals. If one player alone could win it, gretzky would have won it every year. Plus compare Karlsson's shear dominance in ottawa's playoff run two years ago and then try and find a comparison from doughty during the kings 2 cups.... can't cause it's not there. Doughty is a great pkayer sure, but he's not better than Karlsson
b7b61d42d6f1bbcadfb0748462a72216.gif

Reactions: Seventyx7

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
8x10 and all the burning rubber fumes you can breath in

IMO he was not staying for 8x12

Not much to be happy about as a Sens fan... terrible owner, terrible management .... and guess what the team's like?

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
Players should never agree to sign-and-trade. Why accept that the team that is getting you will lose assets to get you? Better off to join a team as UFA.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
Oh look, another gif in response to a two-paragraph post... you win the debate.
I don't need to explain myself when the poster has clearly not been following Doughty's career. He's just reiterating what the media has said about him being a top dman in the first few sentences and then it spirals out of control filled with nonsense.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He just wants out.............the money is not his concern...

Last season he and Uncle Eugene seemed to spar in the media...that was the end, right there...no one can blame him for wanting out.

Reactions: amethyst

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I see a lot of "hard no" from ppl about 10mil. Q, do you think EK is better than Doughty who just took under 11m? I dont watch enough LAK and Ott sadly to make that comment but i think Doughtys really good.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I just feel bad for Sens fans. They don't deserve this and I hate that so many posters just want to kick them while they are down.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I just don't see why Ottawa can't overpay for just ONE player

like, does the owner not realize the potential $$ lost from the PR Karlsson brings to the franchise?

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
If you are offering Karlsson 10 mil x 8 then you are not really trying to keep him. Doesn’t matter what Doughty got and who is better. Doughty is in a much more favorable situation. Karlsson is being asked to stay and help put back a team that probably has a few difficult seasons coming up. Just pay the man. Give him 11-12 mil x 8. This isn’t just about him. If they lose him, they lose Duchenne, and who knows who else they lose. May be the fanbase when they see Hughes picked with their pick playing for another team

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Offense taken. It's no fun to be a Sens fan this summer but 13-14 months ago we were 1 goal away from the final. (lately) Melnyk might represent our "Harold Ballard" years but hopefully we can get through them quickly, at least quicker than the original. Ottawa is a good hockey market. Team sells out and makes money when there is a decent product. When the team moves to Lebreton Ottawa will be a very good hockey market.

Insinuating that Ottawa would be a good candidate for relocation is plain silly. The main problem with Ottawa is Melnyk. Relocate with Melnyk same problem. Relocate without Melnyk (Sale) and the league loses an above average nhl hockey market. I know there is a significant amount of "schadenfreude" for fans of certain teams but lets keep the hyperbole to a minimum. Remember, karma can bite you in the but.

It's not silly - there are fan bases that would kill to have a franchise, even one that's as f***ed up as yours is.
Quebec comes to mind.
And Karma can kiss my ass. I'm from Toronto - we had our ballard era and still packed the stands .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad