Friedman: Karlsson reportedly turned down sens offer of 8×10

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I’m fully aware they don’t have their pick. I don’t think they are necessarily in full tank mode I think the team is simply not good enough.

They were not good last year (granted they were the yr prior) and they lost Hoffman, will mostly likely lose their #1 D and #1 goalie. I would expect Karlsson to return a lot of young pieces but I’m not sure they will be impactful next year.

I wouldn’t suggest they will “tank” but I still expect them to be at the bottom of the standings. They could prove me wrong but I don’t see them as competitive.

I won't argue that. They'll be terrible. Well, I could see them system-ing their way up a few spots from 2nd-last, but they won't score much.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If you were EK, what possible motivation could you have for staying? That ship is sinking fast and he's got his own personal lifeboat.

Reactions: Duffman955

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Appears he just wants out of Ottawa. The team is going to suck while it is rebuilding so Karlsson wants to contend for a cup while in his prime. Probably doesn't think much of Melnyks ownership either.

probably spoke to Alfie, and Alfie said "Don't repeat my mistakes, or you will regret it for the rest of your life"

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
IF it we're about money, this means he's trying to control his destination, because he wouldn't get much more than 80m as a UFA (7yrs).

That said, I think it's more about going to a good team that isn't Ottawa. They could have offered the McDavid contract, and I think he'd have e turned it down regardless.
He may get it way more front-loaded in better markets and/or a better tax situation. A dollar today is better than a dollar in five years due to investment opportunity to grow that cash. I can't see Ottawa willing to frontload a deal similar to the Tavares deal, where JT gets close to 30 million between July 1st 2018 and July 2nd 2019. I'd also wonder if they'd be willing to give it serious signing bonus money in the 2 potential lockout years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get all the derision here. Does anyone think 8 x $11m was the initial offer LA made to Doughty?
obviously not. They offered Doughty 13 million but he demanded to take less for the good of the team!

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
I would question your ability to evaluate talent. Doughty is still the best Dman in the league! Defensively, it’s not even close, Doughty is at minimum 2 notches above. Offensively, he’s been suppressed by a heavy, defense first system that won him 2 cups. Now that they’ve given him more freedom and played a loser style he put up 60 points. The sheer idiocy of saying Karlsson is Doughty’s defensive equal is ridiculous and shows how little people know about what a defenseman truly is...
I would question yours as clearly you are blinded by the fact your a kings fan. I'm neither a fan of Ottawa or LAs and can look at it without rose colored glasses. Doughty is one of the best defensemen in the nhl....true! But Karlsson has been called one of the best players in the NHL by many reputable analysts and sports writers. Karlsson had been seen by many as one of the top 3 players in the world. Doughty might make the top 5 defensemen but wouldn't be in the top 30 of all players.

Yes he's won 2 cups. And? Teams win cups not individuals. If one player alone could win it, gretzky would have won it every year. Plus compare Karlsson's shear dominance in ottawa's playoff run two years ago and then try and find a comparison from doughty during the kings 2 cups.... can't cause it's not there. Doughty is a great pkayer sure, but he's not better than Karlsson

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If there wasn't any drama in Ottawa would he sign this contract? I think he might. I really don't think it's about the $$$. I think the headline should just read Karlsson not interested in resigning with Ottawa.

If I'm Ottawa I move heaven and earth to get Duchene resigned. Let him walk and that trade becomes one of the top 10 most costly trades in league history and that's not even taking in account that Ottawa (or Colorado) wins the lottery.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
It only Sens fans weren’t Karlsson fans first and Senators fans second EK might not have this perceived power. He’s not as good as Doughty so should be getting 8x$10MM. However Sens fans have been preaching him as DD’s superior so enjoy the fallout. He’s going to sign somewhere else now

Reactions: JKG33

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
the logistics of this are awful

Doughty just got 11 x 8, Tavares got 11x7, then the sens come in and lowball EK for 10mil.

EK could get 12-13 as a UFA next year. If the sens bungle this trade as bad as the duchene deal, they will be a joke for 5-6 years

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
8*10m is fine offer. Negotiations can easily start there given most are expecting a deal similar to doughty at $11m, they are close. If he wants to leave he wants to leave and it won't matter what they offer, the $10m offer was not bad.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
right? dought is the most complete d man on the planet,imo he is far and away the best, the fact he only has 1 norris is dumb
Yeah, okay. I personally would say that Erik Karlsson is the one with too few Norris trophies and that Doughty has one too many.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
re: Karlsson v Doughty
can we agree that they are both elite top defensemen? Karlsson has two norris trophies to Doughty's one. Playing on a considerably worse teams. Doughty has consistently had better support in teammates and roster/organization stability. Doughty has 2 Stanley Cups. There are tons of things you can do to compare the two players. They are both elite and any team in the NHL would love either of them on their roster. It's crazy - fans trying to debate the difference AND then calculating that difference into a dollar value but this is HF and HF stands for HAVE FUN so who am i to judge?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad