Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think it is - He's clearly the better d-man so he should be paid accordingly ( why bother embarrassing yourself with lower offer the 1st time around?) unless he's willing to take less to stay in this gong show which i doubt going off his comments from the reg season.
This should be the easiest contract to negotiate in the history of the NHL now that doughty is signed.
It’s not clear though. Not the way “NHL men” see it the game.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
This will seriously insult some HF boards members.
If the Sens want to keep EK I feel that $11.25M is what they have to offer. I'm not saying I'm for or against putting that much on one player but that's the minimum set by the market so it's in Dorion's court. Put up or move on. I doubt it gets cheaper than that.

There is a risk. It could be a no win either way (sign or trade) unless they happen to re-sign the "old pre-injury EK" a top scorer with the puck and good on the other side too. That would quiet the boo birds but if they trade that guy away for little return people will scream. However if he still can't turn to one side it will be a long 9 years if he re-signs. This is one situation where I don't envy Dorion.

Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It has to be, at minimum, whatever number Karlsson is willing to sign for. If that number is more than Doughty's contract, then it has to be more than Doughty's contract.

So does every team who would want to sign him, probably.
Fair enough, maybe im dreaming, just seems like these contracts are getting out of control and if it needs to be a bit lower to make it work for both sides, then why not, you do still see that around the league at times. OEL's contract seems quite low, why would he accept that when he could have easily gotten more?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think they offer him the opportunity to talk to other teams that have expressed some modicum of interest

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think they offer him the opportunity to talk to other teams that have expressed some modicum of interest

Yes.

My theory is that the Senators have found one or more trades they like for Karlsson and have permitted those other teams to discuss contract terms with him prior to a trade. If all 3 parties agree, the trade will be made on or after July 1. A sign and trade type of deal perhaps. Then the Senators can say they tried to sign Karlsson to a deal they could afford, but found that Karlsson would not sign that deal, so a trade deal was arranged whereby the Senators would get some assets back for a signed Karlsson.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bar has been set. Time to pay up or shut up.

The difference between the tax rates in Ontrario (EK65) and California (DD) would give EK65 more "take home" money than Doughty if they were both given 11 million a year ...........

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The difference between the tax rates in Ontrario (EK65) and California (DD) would give EK65 more "take home" money than Doughty if they were both given 11 million a year ...........
And EK should give this owner a discount based on?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
And EK should give this owner a discount based on?

Who said anything about a discount?

If EK65 signs for 11 million, he takes home more money, after taxes, that Doughty does......... more money is not a discount.
iu

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
First, it would have to be true, and no one know that it is.
Well I'd have to think EK knows.
Pretty sure EK's wife knows.
Pretty sure his agent knows.
Betting his family knows.
Betting her family knows.
Willing to guess that the fine people at Newport Sports know.
Willing to guess that some of that rather large group would pass on this juicy info to their friends.
So you're wrong. A whole lotta people know and it's not hard to find out what is going on.

no, rumours don't mean it's true.
Funny, I remember you relaying a rumor with regards to Hoffmam...

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Who said anything about a discount?

If EK65 signs for 11 million, he takes home more money, after taxes, that Doughty does......... more money is not a discount.
iu
The ellipsis on your original post seemed to suggest that EK should take less.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
A trade wouldn't surprise me but I still think the Sens will offer him a fair deal and it will come down to his decision. In my opinion the Captain will re-sign here.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
No deal will be made & no trade until trade deadline. We play EK until we are in/near playoffs (& Avs don't get a sniff of #1 OA pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg