Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The #fakenews rumor mill has a Karlsson to Vegas trade being close but falling through... no more info available.

Would Melinda want to live in Vegas? Will Karlsson want to extend in Vegas? How much is Bobby Ryan's contract holding up a deal and how much does it cost the Sens to include it?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm a Spurs fan (have been since 1989), and I don't think the Spurs really crushed that trade at all. They have a worse player coming back, on a meh contract with no futures. It's a larger scale, but not entirely dissimilar to the Hoffman trade where the team takes back a worse player, who's older and not on a good contract (Boedker is actually a fine contract salary wise @ $3,000,000, but cap hit is too high). The Spurs are a worse team after the trade. As were the Sens after the Hoffman trade.
I won't argue that the Spurs are a worse team but Leonard forced their hand and they got another legit all star with 3 years left for him plus a 1st. Leonard has no desire to play in Toronto. Unless the Raptors miraculously win the title this year, that trade won't look great in the future. Kawhi is going go the Lakers one way or another.

I understand why they moved on from DeRozen though. I don't get the feeling they're going anywhere with Lowry and DeRozen as the go to guys. They just don't show up when it really matters despite being overall great players.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I'm a Spurs fan (have been since 1989), and I don't think the Spurs really crushed that trade at all. They have a worse player coming back, on a meh contract with no futures. It's a larger scale, but not entirely dissimilar to the Hoffman trade where the team takes back a worse player, who's older and not on a good contract (Boedker is actually a fine contract salary wise @ $3,000,000, but cap hit is too high). The Spurs are a worse team after the trade. As were the Sens after the Hoffman trade.

Considering the corner they were backed into, I thought that was a great return. I mean it was public knowledge Leonard wasn't going back to San Antonio, if Karlsson has the same intentions made known then at least we don't know about it. If Ottawa could get something similar for Karlsson I'd be dancing in the streets. I mean what would be like a comparable NHL wise in a Karlsson deal? Something like Draisaitl, Yamamoto, and a protected 1st? If a Karlsson deal must be made I'd be all over that.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I dunno, it's kinda like trading Karlsson for Kessel. Kessel is an allstar and big time scorer - but he's not leading anyone to a championship and he's poor defensively. Derozen is a great player, but he's not "the guy" and is poor defensively. Maybe Pop can get more out of him though. From the Spurs perspective, I think we just made ourselves mediocre for the next few seasons and we're worse from a contract POV.

Reactions: BigRig4

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Yeah my post was made prior to the trade being finalized - I thought the Spurs would at least get OG or Siakam along with DeMar and a non protected first. The actual return ended up being more like EK for Pacioretty, Ouellet and a low pick.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It’s not exactly private. He was in a public building, by himself. It’s not as though it’s “insider” information and that he didn’t cross path with other folks from the 21st floor back to the ground floor.

There were people lined up on the ground floor waiting for him to come back down from what security told me.

With all due respect, that’s a bit of a silly accusation.

Jesus. The masses should leave the guy alone. Meet him at some Sens event, or say hi in a bar. People shouldn't hound him at an office building. Par for the course I guess.

I met a few players at Clocktower once when Michalek and Foligno sat down at the bar next to me. Said hi, good luck in New York tomorrow, cheers, see ya. Other idiots were getting selfies, autographs, etc. It made me feel embarrassed, but that's how it is I guess.

In Ireland if you see a rugby star, everyone leaves them well enough alone. They are at the restaurant for a meal and friend time, not to cater to starstruck people.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Hey, maybe he biked?
iur
Haha... maybe!

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Jesus. The masses should leave the guy alone. Meet him at some Sens event, or say hi in a bar. People shouldn't hound him at an office building. Par for the course I guess.

I met a few players at Clocktower once when Michalek and Foligno sat down at the bar next to me. Said hi, good luck in New York tomorrow, cheers, see ya. Other idiots were getting selfies, autographs, etc. It made me feel embarrassed, but that's how it is I guess.

In Ireland if you see a rugby star, everyone leaves them well enough alone. They are at the restaurant for a meal and friend time, not to cater to starstruck people.

Ya it's very strange. I get it if it's at an official team event or a child, but I'm an adult, I'm not going to chase after some guy who's younger than me for a picture or his name on a piece of paper. Have some pride, leave these guys alone when their out in their private lives.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

But Rugby players are scary, so it makes sense to leave them alone.

I agree though. Whenever I see a Sens player I'll stare like a creep until they make eye contact, I'll do a head nod, then walk off feeling like the coolest person to grace the planet.

But if my kids are with me I might bring them over to say hi...and then pray that they ask the player to be my best friend...

So what?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
But Rugby players are scary, so it makes sense to leave them alone.

I agree though. Whenever I see a Sens player I'll stare like a creep until they make eye contact, I'll do a head nod, then walk off feeling like the coolest person to grace the planet.

But if my kids are with me I might bring them over to say hi...and then pray that they ask the player to be my best friend...

So what?

I know what you guys are saying. I’ll be the guilty one to go say hello... although i’ve never actually done it. I wouldn’t interrupt a dinner or anything like that. But if he’s alone in an elevator with me or walking right in front of me, well, yes, i’d say hello, shake his hand, or something to that effect.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I know what you guys are saying. I’ll be the guilty one to go say hello... although i’ve never actually done it. I wouldn’t interrupt a dinner or anything like that. But if he’s alone in an elevator with me or walking right in front of me, well, yes, i’d say hello, shake his hand, or something to that effect.

If I met EK I might be forced to give him a little bum tap.

I bet that juicy apple is as hard as granite.

Did I go too far?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I've seen tons of players out at the bars and around town over the years. I'm always surprised that they aren't bigger, lol. Kyle Turris looked like a strong breeze would carry him away.
The only time I've approached them was to wish them luck or so that my kids could say hello. And never at a restaurant. I think it's poor form to interrupt someone's meal.
Also saw Gretzky in a bar in Hull surrounded by the entire Olympiques team. He used to be a part owner I believe.
And when Yashin was first in Ottawa, he was outside a bar I used to hang out at. He was way back in the line and we told him he shouldn't have to wait to get inside. I'm not sure he knew any English. We knew the bar and didn't have to wait in line so we told the bouncers to go get him and bring him inside. Actually chastised them for letting an NHLer wait outside in the cold. lol

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I dunno, it's kinda like trading Karlsson for Kessel. Kessel is an allstar and big time scorer - but he's not leading anyone to a championship and he's poor defensively. Derozen is a great player, but he's not "the guy" and is poor defensively. Maybe Pop can get more out of him though. From the Spurs perspective, I think we just made ourselves mediocre for the next few seasons and we're worse from a contract POV.

Except he won two cups with Pitts and literally led them in points in 2016.

Now I'll sit and eagerly wait for someone to say leading in points isn't leading.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008

Now I'll sit and eagerly wait for someone to say leading in points isn't leading.

This is Ottawa. Goals and points mean nothing. Leaders bring intangibles. Why else do you think Spezza was driven out of town but an infinitely less skilled Mike Fisher is so loved?

Never change, Sens fans...

*exhale audibly while looking at the floor and shaking head*

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
This is Ottawa. Goals and points mean nothing. Leaders bring intangibles. Why else do you think Spezza was driven out of town but an infinitely less skilled Mike Fisher is so loved?

Never change, Sens fans...

*exhale audibly while looking at the floor and shaking head*
But muh intangibles... muh good Canadian kids...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Ya but have you seen the sheer SIZE of rugby stars? It's self preservation to leave them well enough alone.... lol

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Yes, Kessel was 'the' key factor to that team... suuuure. It doesn't even pass the smell test in the least. Go ahead, tell people "Kessel led the Penguins to two Stanley Cups". He's a great player, but Crosby and Malkin are far more valuable to that team and without them Kessel would lead them nowhere.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Realistically Derozan only has 2 years left not 3 since the 3rd year is an option year and it'll be his last chance for a big deal, so he's pretty much gauranteed to opt out. There's no stability in basketball with their insane limits on contracts, so swing for the fences when you get your shot.

I like the gamble for the Raptors, they weren't going anywhere special with DD as their best player and Green is a nice throw in on the deal to fill his role as a 3 and D player. Now they get their FA meeting finally for a year like OKC and George, and as has been pointed out this is the only way they can even get a FA star to engage eith them.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Kucherov is arguably better than Stamkos...

Yzerman has been pretty great for Tampa tbh. Guy knows what he’s doing and the team has more or less had sustained success.

And we have (had?) Karlsson who is better than Hedman and will also be in the HoF. Difference is we squandered his time here.

kucherov is better than Stamkos no doubt about that in my mind

the point I'm making is that SY had 2 HoF calibre players on his arrival in TB. Go back and look at the rosters of cup winners and check how many winners did not have 2 HoF calibre players. it's a thin list.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
kucherov is better than Stamkos no doubt about that in my mind

the point I'm making is that SY had 2 HoF calibre players on his arrival in TB. Go back and look at the rosters of cup winners and check how many winners did not have 2 HoF calibre players. it's a thin list.

I definitely don’t disagree that Yzerman inherited a good situation. But I also think he’s done a good job playing an admittedly very nice hand.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Yzerman retained both players and surrounded them with talent. Has Dorion surrounded Karlsson with talent?

Reactions: billpo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yzerman retained both players and surrounded them with talent. Has Dorion surrounded Karlsson with talent?
Dorions done a poor job in his own right, but the 20-25 mil less we have to spend on the roster, plus Yzerman getting generous discounts because of the tax situation, plus playing in a desirable FA destination gives Yzerman a big time advantage over Dorion. Not defending a lot of Dorions moves otherwise, but those are huge plusses for Yzerman.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
We had no problem re-signing and signing players when we were a top team too. We also didn't have the benefit of being in Florida with way lower tax rates.

It's always going to be an easier sell for Yzerman to sign players. Especially the past 6-7 years or so.

Honestly, we usually always resign our top players. Giving them away in trades is another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad