News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So all the quotes from players saying there was drama.. they are all hanging up on Karlsson? Karlsson says no one knew. I'm going to call that a lie.

People are naive around here. I don't believe for a second he is being completely truthful. I also don't believe for a second that Dorion and Melnyk are being truthful.

Look, tough to watch and all, but I don't completely believe everything he is saying.

I guess its possible not knowing the specifics of the rift while knowing there is one and it being sourced through the wives. Maybe it was never spoken about aloud in the room. I don't know. I guess what I am saying is that if EK never spoke to anyone in the room about it and no one talked about in his presence ,, he could believe no one knew. Knew what specifically ? is another thing. I never really bought the dressing room being broken ,,, and being fixed by trading Hoffman out. It seemed like a cop out to me. Was there drama? probably.. what was that about? Was this after the Karlssons lost their child or before? I don't know. There was a problem in the room .. was it even about Hoffman vs Karlsson?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I guess its possible not knowing the specifics of the rift while knowing there is one and it being sourced through the wives. Maybe it was never spoken about aloud in the room. I don't know. I guess what I am saying is that if EK never spoke to anyone in the room about it and no one talked about in his presence ,, he could believe no one knew. Knew what specifically ? is another thing. I never really bought the dressing room being broken ,,, and being fixed by trading Hoffman out. It seemed like a cop out to me. Was there drama? probably.. what was that about? Was this after the Karlssons lost their child or before? I don't know. There was a problem in the room .. was it even about Hoffman vs Karlsson?

No one knows, but a lot of players have talked about the discord in the room. And it is better now. Two key players are gone . Is it more Hoffman or Karlsson? Don't know.

All I know is I don't believe what he said about that question. There is more to it and other players have intimated as much.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Sign him to a deal with an NMC and trade him before it kicks in. New team can opt out of respecting the NMC after too.

Karlsson couldn't sign anything they offered since they were so bad at hiding the fact that they wanted to trade him.

Players can ask for NMCs to be retroactively added into their previous contract as a term when extending. This would likely have been the case if they were negotiating in good faith and offered Karlsson a contract with a NMC.

It's simpler than this. They didn't offer the NMC because it wasn't really a serious attempt at signing him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
How is it continuing? Isn't this his first 1 v 1 interview since the trade that is talking about it?

It's certainly not the first headline from a Karlsson quote in the past couple of weeks.

Obviously there is a ton of interest from people wanting to hear the truth and not the lies from Dorion and co. driving the release of an interview like this.

Count me in.

If you're looking for the truth, you'll probably never get it from either side. There's always three sides to the story.

Don't take it as me defending Dorion or Melnyk, I never will when it comes to the Karlsson trade but how in the world has everyone forgotten about the reports of Karlsson wanting out. There were plenty in Janurary and Feburary and it really fuelled the topic at points. I dont blame Erik for wanting out of the situation but it wasn't just the Senators organization deciding it would be best to part ways.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's certainly not the first headline from a Karlsson quote in the past couple of weeks.

If you're looking for the truth, you'll probably never get it from either side. There's always three sides to the story.

Don't take it as me defending Dorion or Melnyk, I never will when it comes to the Karlsson trade but how in the world has everyone forgotten about the reports of Karlsson wanting out. There were plenty in Janurary and Feburary and it really fuelled the topic at points. I dont blame Erik for wanting out of the situation but it wasn't just the Senators organization deciding it would be best to part ways.
What else would you expect from the biggest player traded in the NHL in the past 20 or so years?

It's his first interview where he's been asked these questions, what do you expect him to do?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
What else would you expect from the biggest player traded in the NHL in the past 20 or so years?

It's his first interview where he's been asked these questions, what do you expect him to do?

Take the high road.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Take the high road.
Which is let Dorion spin what he wants, whether it's true or not? Why would he sit by and not tell his side?

Has nothing to do with the high road. I know if someone is telling lies about something I was involved in I would tell my side of the story, especially when a network is the one asking the questions.

The fact that it completely railroads our GM doesn't make it Karlsson not taking the high road. Everyone knows Dorion has been caught in a web of lies, this just confirms that.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Which is let Dorion spin what he wants, whether it's true or not? Why would he sit by and not tell his side?

Has nothing to do with the high road. I know if someone is telling lies about something I was involved in I would tell my side of the story, especially when a network is the one asking the questions.

The fact that it completely railroads our GM doesn't make it Karlsson not taking the high road. Everyone knows Dorion has been caught in a web of lies, this just confirms that.

I don’t see how countering with his own web of lies is productive though. That’s all I’m saying.

Reactions: bcag04

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
So they had a deadline deal and he refused ? Sounds like they could have got more but the team was on his list.
Even if i signed they probably would have traded me anyway, is a sob story opinion and not based on facts, just blaming them for something that didnt happen.

Noone in the room knew thats why all the wives and girlfreinds were texting Mikes wife to stay away.

Meh sounds like hes just working the crowd.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
So they had a deadline deal and he refused ? Sounds like they could have got more but the team was on his list.
Even if i signed they probably would have traded me anyway, is a sob story opinion and not based on facts, just blaming them for something that didnt happen.

Noone in the room knew thats why all the wives and girlfreinds were texting Mikes wife to stay away.

Ryan said after the deadline he thought he was gone in a deal involving Karlsson. The speculation at the time was that there was a deal in place but Melnyk nixed it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Ryan said after the deadline he thought he was gone in a deal involving Karlsson. The speculation at the time was that there was a deal in place but Melnyk nixed it.

So he is sooo cheap then he nixed that deal of all deals? Sounds fishy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I don’t see how countering with his own web of lies is productive though. That’s all I’m saying.

lol what web of lies has karlsson spun

he's hardly said anything. the way he conducted himself through this has actually been remarakable. I know i would not have that much patience dealing with people like dorion and melnyk

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Was that Peter Noone, that was in the room?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Uh, wut? What lies?

I think he means Karlsson wasn't forthright about his own actions and inclinations -- to leave as a free agent, to have contributed to a poisoning of the well amongst the players, to have not negotiated a new contract.

Hey, this is dramatic stuff. There's a municipal election coming up that could use half this attention to detail.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ryan was told he was traded at the deadline. So there must have been a couple trades of negotiations. Maybe McFee was okay with taking Ryan, but Vegas ownership was not?

I was referring to the supposed done deal involving Tampa. Although, if memory serves, that might've been a summer deal. So many damned deals for Erik this year it's hard to keep track of them all.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Not sure if it has been posted but here is the link to the video

Erik Karlsson shares details about emotional trade to San Jose - Sportsnet.ca

Him saying no one knew is naive on his part. The wives twitter responses to Caryk (specifically Julie Turris) shows the wives knew, and if they knew so did their husbands.

Plus the quotes they put in the interview about drama by the players while he was talking were pointing to something (maybe the issue with Hoffman?)

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
It's hard to lose both hoffman and Karlsson but I also know it takes two to tango. I would not call either innocent in the matter. Players and media indirectly stated that there was a rift in the room. A divided group. It had to be done and both are gone.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Him saying no one knew is naive on his part. The wives twitter responses to Caryk (specifically Julie Turris) shows the wives knew, and if they knew so did their husbands.

Plus the quotes they put in the interview about drama by the players while he was talking were pointing to something (maybe the issue with Hoffman?)
I think when he said no one knew, he was referring to the fact that they believed Hoffman's fiance was the one behind it. That they had a beef with each other. The wives knew that Hoffman's fiance was loud mouth p.o.s. but not that she was the one harassing online. Or maybe by saying no one knew Karlsson is taking one for the others so they don't get dragged into this everytime they play Hoffman, or something new emerges from the case. He is being a good former teammate.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Knew what? Tell us exactly what EK had in his mind when he said no one knew. Maybe its naive to assume we can know what he was referencing in his mind.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Exactly. Pageau's wife dove head first to bash Caryk. They all knew. Karlsson is playing us, and I would have liked for Simpson to ask if he has any regrets about last season, or if there was something he would have done differently.

Sad he is gone, but life goes on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad