News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The odd bit is the stark reversal in a short period of time. 12 months ago people in the room couldn't say enough good things about him in the room. After he's traded, we get conjecture about how he's bad in the room from people outside the room. It's possible the guys inside the room were lying, it's also possible that things changed. I could buy into the latter more so than the former given the personal struggles he had off the ice, but we're then looking at about 6 months with significant contributing circumstances outweighing 6 years of lauded leadership. Add that to the fact that this seems to always be the way it goes down with this team; trade rumours start and the character assassination begins, and you get people starting to doubt the veracity.

Of course people won't throw a current player under the bus, but they typically aren't heaping praise on him they reverse course the second he's out the door. And that's not even truly what's happening, because it's the interpretations not the actions that are extreme. People react emotionally to a sudden and unexpected waiving of Smith, but react more calmly to a drawn out ordeal with Karlsson, and we get some people speculating that the players didn't care as much about Karlsson. Think about that for a second and tell me there isn't a flaw in that logic.

I don't think it is realistic that anyone was going to badmouth Erik Karlsson, the captain, while he was still on the team.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
What? The team didn't offer a NMC?

I am shocked.

BUT BUT BUT

i was told by multiple members on this board that the senators put a fair offer forward and that its karlssons fault that he is no longer here

waiting for the same 3-5 posters to do their regular attempt at a spin job

Reactions: DJB

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Obviously there is a ton of interest from people wanting to hear the truth and not the lies from Dorion and co. driving the release of an interview like this.

Count me in.

I think there is enough floating around that supports Karlsson as not being completely truthful as well.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I think there is enough floating around that supports Karlsson as not being completely truthful as well.

Not really. Karlsson has said that he would have like to have stayed here for his whole career. He also said that he wanted market value. And then he said that he was never in Ottawa's longterm plans and they decided to move on in February.

I don't see how any of those statements aren't truthful.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm sure Karlsson is the one that leaked the fake news to Alex1234 that a decision to trade him was made back in Feb, right?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I love Erik but it’s time to move on. Don’t get why he is continuing to play the victim in this.
"Continuing?" After you get hosed with BS ,, sometimes you want to set the record straight. Not sure that is playing the victim. And besides ,, he was a victim , his team mates were victims and the fans were victims of BS and poor management from Dorion and Melnyk. That's why people are both sad and pissed off.

Reactions: DrEasy and Blotto71

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Obviously there is a ton of interest from people wanting to hear the truth and not the lies from Dorion and co. driving the release of an interview like this.

Count me in.

And of course EK will be 100% factual!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Watched the interview, pretty much what I expected:

• First time he realized he might not be in Ottawa forever was when they asked for his no-trade list in October
• Thought "we were gone at the deadline" - imagery made it seem like "we" included Bobby Ryan
• Was made an offer, but was never presented anything he could sign. "Didn't even get close to that"
• Melnyk did reach out at the end of July, Karlsson referred him to his agent. Before then, they hadn't talked in a long time
• His relationship with Melnyk isn't good and isn't bad
• Realizes the fans are upset, he's still upset he got traded from Ottawa too
• Will watch and cheer for the guys on the Sens
• Says the Hoffman situation had no impact on the locker room. "No one knew"

Buuuut most important part, didn't close the door on coming back! Let's get Melnyk out!

Apparently there'll be an extended version posted on Sportsnet soon.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What? The team didn't offer a NMC?

I am shocked.

Sign him to a deal with an NMC and trade him before it kicks in. New team can opt out of respecting the NMC after too.

Karlsson couldn't sign anything they offered since they were so bad at hiding the fact that they wanted to trade him.

Reactions: Gesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad