News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Exactly. Pageau's wife dove head first to bash Caryk. They all knew. Karlsson is playing us, and I would have liked for Simpson to ask if he has any regrets about last season, or if there was something he would have done differently.

Sad he is gone, but life goes on.

We don't exactly know what Erik said "nobody knew" to, could have been the peace bond and the idea that the Karlssons thought it was Caryk.

You know who lost the benefit of the doubt? Management.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We don't exactly know what Erik said "nobody knew" to, could have been the peace bond and the idea that the Karlssons thought it was Caryk.

You know who lost the benefit of the doubt? Management.

It was about the Hoffman situation, and she asked about the room knowing. Could have been the peace bond, but doubt it. They had a blowup in a parking lot, Hoff and Karl, people saw...I would think it is fair to say the room knew.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Ryan said after the deadline he thought he was gone in a deal involving Karlsson. The speculation at the time was that there was a deal in place but Melnyk nixed it.

That was the deal to Vegas he thought he was gone. Melnyk nixed the Tampa deal where we were taking back two contracts. Sergachev and Killorn and Bobby wasn't involved.

The Vegas deal was mostly a futures deal except for Theodore. I have no explanation as to why the Vegas deal never happened unfortunately.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Scanlan just revealed through a source that the biggest hiccup was Ottawa not including a "no-trade" clause. Not sure what the reasoning is there

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Scanlan just revealed through a source that the biggest hiccup was Ottawa not including a "no-trade" clause. Not sure what the reasoning is there

I think we can probably go with Karl's impression on this one.

If he was asked for his no trade list, was told he was gone at the deadline , and then was offered an extension which did not have no trade protection, then they probably wanted to be able to trade him.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They'd be able to trade him to whomever for a bigger package. Hossa all over again, just less clever.

Nate Thompson got his 10 team NTC though.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Lmao we offered a top 5 player in the league a contract extension without a ntc

But oduya got one

What a f***ing joke

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
But remember guys dorion and melnyk are the good guys in this

I genuinely don't know what's worse our 2 dumbassss or the fans still defending them

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
But remember guys dorion and melnyk are the good guys in this

I genuinely don't know what's worse our 2 dumbassss or the fans still defending them

The people defending them tbh. Dorion and Melnyk are acting out of self interest when they destroy this franchise.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Wasn’t their talk yesterday that it was a full NMC, that they werent offering. Not that I think it’s okay to not offer EK a NTC, I see people saying but Thompson, Oduya and Smith got them but let’s remember those are limited and there a missing details on the NTC that was supposedly not offered.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They probably offered him a 10 team no trade clause.

Dorion had an interview maybe a year or two back discussing the Phaneuf contract. He said something to the affect of Phaneuf has a more robust NTC but we didn't sign that contract, team policy is we give out 10 team NTCs only. Then he joked about one player in the future possibly being the exception to that (lol guess not). This was probably in the 2017 off season when Phaneuf's contract was hindering our ability to protect Methot, but I don't remember the exact time line.

So it's pretty clear, this team has a policy of not giving out full NMCs. Bobby Ryan who is the biggest superstar UFA we've had to sign in the last few years got a 10 team NTC. He did get a modified NMC like policy, but that was only in relation to being assigned to the minors.

It makes zero sense to not offer Karlsson a full NMC after what may have gone down at the deadline. Even if the Sens are perfectly innocent and they were only listening as they claimed, how can they negotiate in good faith with Karlsson who would have the perception they've been trying to trade him without offering Karlsson some sort of assurance he won't be traded via a NMC?

That's completely ignoring that league wide, it's standard for a guy like Karlsson to get that. As much as Ryan is the biggest star we've had to extend in the last few years, Karlsson is maybe two tiers above where Ryan was in terms of star status.

(I am talking about Ryan as he was perceived years ago when he extended, not now that he has fallen off)

Reactions: Gesus

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
They probably offered him a 10 team no trade clause.

Dorion had an interview maybe a year or two back discussing the Phaneuf contract. He said something to the affect of Phaneuf has a more robust NTC but we didn't sign that contract, team policy is we give out 10 team NTCs only. Then he joked about one player in the future possibly being the exception to that (lol guess not). This was probably in the 2017 off season when Phaneuf's contract was hindering our ability to protect Methot, but I don't remember the exact time line.

So it's pretty clear, this team has a policy of not giving out full NMCs. Bobby Ryan who is the biggest superstar UFA we've had to sign in the last few years got a 10 team NTC. He did get a modified NMC like policy, but that was only in relation to being assigned to the minors.

It makes zero sense to not offer Karlsson a full NMC after what may have gone down at the deadline. Even if the Sens are perfectly innocent and they were only listening as they claimed, how can they negotiate in good faith with Karlsson who would have the perception they've been trying to trade him without offering Karlsson some sort of assurance he won't be traded via a NMC?

That's completely ignoring that league wide, it's standard for a guy like Karlsson to get that. As much as Ryan is the biggest star we've had to extend in the last few years, Karlsson is maybe two tiers above where Ryan was in terms of star status.

(I am talking about Ryan as he was perceived years ago when he extended, not now that he has fallen off)

IF Karlsson was willing to sign a deal with a standard payment structure but with a full NTC then he would have left a lot on the table. I have been working through the math in a thread in the Business of Hockey section, but looking at the Tavares contract it could be 20+ million additional cash to Karlsson if he was given the Tavares bonus structure vs, a flat 11 mil per year.

So now we are painting a picture where EK was basically willing to do the Doughty deal, leaving 20 mil on the table, and all he wanted was assurance he wouldn't be traded away from Ottawa.

And we didn't do it because having one of the top players in the world locket in for 8 years would hand-cuff the teams ability to compete. FFS

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad