News Article: Karlsson and Dorion/Melnyk didn't talk after November

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Interesting article: TRAIKOS: Karlsson staying mum about reason he was traded to Sharks

“I haven’t spoken to any of them really since November of last year when they asked for my no-trade list,” Karlsson told Postmedia News in a one-on-one interview on Thursday. “That’s the way it is, I guess. That’s the only situation I know that’s been like this. It was what it was. I was there to play hockey and I did that to the best of my ability with what we had. That’s all that I worried about.

So much for the "we had a plan and shared it with our core veterans" nonsense Dorion is peddling.

This team never wanted to re-sign him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Interesting article: TRAIKOS: Karlsson staying mum about reason he was traded to Sharks

So much for the "we had a plan and shared it with our core veterans" nonsense Dorion is peddling.

This team never wanted to re-sign him.

They wanted to re-sign him ......... they couldn't as they need players like EK65 to accept a contract that works for a small market team, call it a home town discount, or a contract without signing bonuses...... and he let them know he was not going to sign such a contract.

He was only going to sign a contract giving him what he felt was "market value" elsewhere if necessary.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
They wanted to re-sign him ......... they couldn't as they need players like EK65 to accept a contract that works for a small market team, call it a home town discount, or a contract without signing bonuses...... and he let them know he was not going to sign such a contract.

He was only going to sign a contract giving him what he felt was "market value" elsewhere if necessary.

Well no shit Sherlock.

I want to buy a Ferrari like mysens has, but if I am not willing to pay market value then I ain't getting one, so I lied to my friends about making a deposit on July 1st so I can look good, but in reality I haven't even stepped in the dealership since November. So I just ended up getting a shitty old Corolla in September, and I told my friends it was actually the dealership that never called me back.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

They wanted people to renew season tickets so they lied to the fan base at the town hall saying they would try and sign him. Now this group of morons has admitted that they decided to trade him in February and didn't speak to him since November 2017. But then once everyone is upset after the horrible trade they think that we dont have the ability to recall and use our memories and said they decided to trade him in July. I was more offended before because I thought they were just a bunch of pricks that thought we were stupid. It really turns out that they are just that dumb, and just have no idea what they are doing.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did anyone real (not count chocula) really think otherwise?

They have been lying to our faces for months and this was made very apparent when they started talking about rebuild.

This isn't an NHL franchise, it's just a front to make Melnyk money via the Lebreton deal and nothing else. It's all a sham.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
There was never any intention of signing him. It never mattered how good he was or how much he meant to the community. It was all above saving money.

This is true, however I do think it's wrong to think that Karlsson wanted to stay here. I really do believe he wanted to leave as well because of incompetent ownership, bad team, and bad memories (losing a child/Hoffman situation). I also think he preferred to play in a major US city.

Don't get me wrong, Melnyk ruined this team and will continue to do so, but even if we offered Erik a real contract I doubt he would have signed it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why anyone would support this franchise with their hard-earned dollars is beyond me at this point.

It's like parents who bribe their child's temper tantrum away with a trip to McDonalds. "If you stop making a scene, I'll get you a Happy Meal after we're done here".

Your kid won't ever change if his bad behaviour is rewarded.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
This is true, however I do think it's wrong to think that Karlsson wanted to stay here. I really do believe he wanted to leave as well because of incompetent ownership, bad team, and bad memories (losing a child/Hoffman situation). I also think he preferred to play in a major US city.

Don't get me wrong, Melnyk ruined this team and will continue to do so, but even if we offered Erik a real contract I doubt he would have signed it.

We have no reason to believe that supposition currently. Karlsson has been rather steadfast in his communication on this issue. People who know him and his family have all indicated he wanted to stay.

It's the team that has been all over the map.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Well no **** Sherlock.

I want to buy a Ferrari like mysens has, but if I am not willing to pay market value then I ain't getting one, so I lied to my friends about making a deposit on July 1st so I can look good, but in reality I haven't even stepped in the dealership since November. So I just ended up getting a ****ty old Corolla in September.
Perfect

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

How do they know they couldn't when they didn't even have the decency to speak with him?

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Really? Because according to Karlsson, they never really talked to him. If they actually wanted to re-sign him, they would have gotten him involved in the plan.

"Hey Erik, we really want to keep you here, but we need to get younger so we're going to take a couple of years to refresh the team. We have some good young players on the way - here's who they are. We do want you, Mark and Matt to be our veteran core, but as you know, we have some limitations of what we can do contractually. Here are 3 options that we think might work. What do you think?"

That never happened.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Really? Because according to Karlsson, they never really talked to him. If they actually wanted to re-sign him, they would have gotten him involved in the plan.

"Hey Erik, we really want to keep you here, but we need to get younger so we're going to take a couple of years to refresh the team. We have some good young players on the way - here's who they are. We do want you, Mark and Matt to be our veteran core, but as you know, we have some limitations of what we can do contractually. Here are 3 options that we think might work. What do you think?"

That never happened.
So does everyone still believe that there was actually a legit contract offer made on July 1st, or is this a lie too? I have always thought that this rumoured offer was just something the media ran with to cover face for the org. The only person to report it was Stevenson and since then every other outlet (TSN1200, Garrioch and the other water carriers) has ran with Stevenson number as gospel. The org was on a media blackout, why would they leak this to CJ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad