Injury Report: Karlsson: Achilles Tendon, Out 3-4 Months | All Karlsson Injury Talk Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
Are you Matt Cooke? Only he would know. It is quite easy to make anything look accidental.

It was reckless and stupid to be flailing away with his skates off-balance and leaning away from Karlsson, but I don't think Cooke was thinking "hey I could sever his achilles from this angle"

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Not an attempt to instigate...

People that think this was anything other than an accident have never played hockey and/or are new to watching the sport. This play happens 100 times a game. Cooke was trying to pin Karlsson to the boards. His left leg was trying to get between Karlsson's. There [should be] zero speculation about this.

I empathize with a star player being injured, and it being Matt Cooke will certainly raise the pitch forks, but let's try to be objective.

BS.

Been playing and watching the sport for 35 years. As far as I'm concerned - you're the naive one here. That's a stomp.

Did he intentionally slice the guy's Achilles tendon? No. He's not a ******* surgeon. That people think that's what others mean by 'intentional' - that's mistaken. What most mean by intent is that Cooke intentionally used his foot to hit EK. Whether it was to slew foot, whether it was to kick - whatever... but the intent part is that Cooke intended to strike EK in a reckless and illegal way.

That's the worst ****ing pin ever. Foot two feet off the ground. That's a brutal reach as far as I'm concerned. Brutal. Completely ignores the FACT that Cooke moves his foot down with force onto another player.

All these apologists - we're not buying what you're selling.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
It seems like the argument for everyone calling it an accident is that Sens fans think he was trying to specifically sever EK's achilles tendon. I don't think anyone sees that as even possible. But what is clear in the clip is a distinct and pronounced stomping motion that has nothing to do with his balance. His intent here was to disrupt EK through this stomping motion, which is a very reckless thing to do.

The other argument is that he "didn't have time to think" this action through. It should go without saying that anyone who has to "think about" their physical actions will never, ever, ever reach any level of competitive sport. Athletes at that level operate on instinct and reactionary skill. What the video show is that Cooke has reckless instincts, and in this case it resulted in the absolute worst possible outcome.

Exactly. This right here.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Saw that gif for the first time just now. Man I don't know how people are *easily* calling that an accident. Why does his leg come up like that?

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Jesus Christ guys, I know he's your all star and all but you guys are acting irrationally right now. It was an accident, it happened in a split second, he did not stomp when bringing his foot down.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Jesus Christ guys, I know he's your all star and all but you guys are acting irrationally right now. It was an accident, it happened in a split second, he did not stomp when bringing his foot down.

I don't care if it's an accident or not, the only thing that matters is the end result. Which is we lost a star player to a dirty rat. Our season is likely lost as a result, there's nothing wrong with fans freaking out right now.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
The NHL response is ridiculous. I don't buy Shanana's moronic reasoning.

Provable intent or not the reckless actions of 1 player injured another affecting another franchise. The act itself should be severely penalized not the intent. When you cut someone with a high stick it is a penalty it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. The reckless act is penalized.

Cooke's high skate injured another. He should be guilty as charged and be suspended until well after the injured player returns. That would stop such foolish behavior with no consequences.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Apparently Dean Mccammond had this surgery too. He was fast as **** afterwords, dunno if his skating ever suffered but he was still one of the best skaters I've ever seen when he played for the Sens.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It was reckless and stupid to be flailing away with his skates off-balance and leaning away from Karlsson, but I don't think Cooke was thinking "hey I could sever his achilles from this angle"[/QUOTE]

probably not. but Cooke has proven, many times, that he is a reckless, knuckle-dragging idiot. i refuse to believe that this could happen to anyone. because it's Cooke, i have to believe that he, and not just random bad luck, is part of the reason.

my sympathy Carlson and to Sens fans. I've been hearing rumblings that Carlson may the next 'best player in the world' if he isn't already. Oiler fan.

get Cooke out of the game!!!!!

zedude

Jan 11, 2011
Rangers fan here, just wanted send my regards to the sens community in this mess, simply devastating. Truly sorry to see Karlsson go for the season, I hope he recovers soon.

As a Swede, this reminds me about another similar situation with a legend within European soccer which could bring some hope to the situation. Henrik Larsson is arguably the best player Sweden have ever seen, and the best player in the history of the Scottish league. In his third season with the Celtics this happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ry3L1Ou9GM. Apparently the kind of injury that can kill a carreer in an instant. Henrik was back the next season, and finnished with 35 goals in 38 games to claim one of the toughest prizes i sports to win, the European Golden Shoe.

Kid will be back, and he will once again domintate I'm sure.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Did he actually say provable intent?

So now when someone goes knee-to-knee we need to be able to prove intent?

Oh Shanny.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Apparently Dean Mccammond had this surgery too. He was fast as **** afterwords, dunno if his skating ever suffered but he was still one of the best skaters I've ever seen when he played for the Sens.

Jason Pominville too, I believe.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Too bad he's gone for the season. But I also worry about the ultra-weak response from the players on the team after the incident.

Every team in the league saw such a weak response from the team on Cooke that they will take liberties with our other players the reason of the season.

The only way Cooke should have left the building last night was with two black eyes, swollen face and a dozen teeth missing.

The team is truly weak and it shows.

I think there was a lot of confusion, im sure no one thought "hey Cooke tried to sever EK's achilles tendon, lets not do anything about it"
the coach realistically settled them down in the dressing room a minute later, and ill bet they a) had no real idea what happened b) then understood it as a skate cut injury (which is horrible luck almost EVERY time) - and not the kind of thing you go hunting another player for - because its bad luck, especially in a game you can win.
c) later they were told it was a laceration and that he was done. Neil then went out to beat him up and he turtled after Neil bloodied his nose and punched him in the face a few times.

But yes, im sure you're much tougher, closer to the situation and care more for Karlsson than his best friends.
Ill tell you one thing, go run that by Alfie or Neil and we'll see how they react to your thoughts and we'll get to see how tough you are.
Either one knocks you into next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Open discussion on Karlsson related depression

Well our worst fears have come true, our young superstar swede is gone for the year. Hearts all over ottawa are broken on this valentines day. Depression has sunk in and I, for one, am taking a few necessary precautions as I know the road ahead will be a dark and treacherous one.

I've gone ahead and begun suicide proofing my home. I started with knocking down my garage doors, diluted all household cleaners with water, removed all laces from shoes and I've given my hairdryer to my sister. You really can never be too safe.

How are you guys dealing with your depression? Let this be an open forum. Together we can get through this. I hope.

sensfan44

peacetowersens
Aug 12, 2007
Chilliwack BC
Visit site
Tried to post this on nhl.com.....for some reason they wouldn't allow it. Freedom of speech is a big thing over there...right?

Brendan Shanahan needs to go now. Sooo many unexplainable calls over last season and these few game so far this season.This is just silly. Look at the replay - why would Cook even be up on one skate in such a physical situation near the boards, that would give him serious disadvantage in balance. He has over and over again shown that he goes over board with dumb plays aiming to hurt other players.....

If you want to get really conspiracy-theoretical about it......is Shananhan listening to much to his biggest fan, and extremely xenophobic, Don Cherry? Nothing on Stuarts hit on Landeskog, nothing on known bad boy Cooke's hit on Karlsson.....it couldn't be sour grapes (pun intended) against Swedes since losing out on first acceptance into the HHOF to one Mats Sundin of Swedish heritage - could it? Either way, what I know for a fact is that I, and all hockey fans with a TRUE passion for the game with me, wont be able to watch incredible hockey from Karlsson, nor last years the Calder trophy winner in quite a while. Instead we get "Morons on Ice".....thank you Brendan, I really look forward to staying up late watching Matt Cooke stickhandle at the blue line or powering through a defense, sniping the puck....yeaaaah.

Just imagine this: Jarko Ruttu cuts Crosby on a similar play.......Cherry would blow a fuse for sure, and my money is on that Brendan would have handed out a suspension guaranteed. Double standards at this level, at his position, is just not acceptable nor good business fro the NHL - I LOVE hockey, I have no desire to watch the Cookes, The Ruttus.....Give me Karlsson, Crosby and the likes, then I'll give you my money!

Cherry HATES Cooke. Search for the video. He has called him out on live TV and "6 inches from his face"

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If he's out 3-4 months, is that when he makes a full recovery? If so, he can train in the summer and hopefully be back to normal. Free agency should be good for us, and we'll get everyone healthy for a proper next season.

A high pick would be good, but if we make the playoffs this season, it'll be amazing. Da Costa and Wiercioch will get a chance to shine this season along with Anderson and Benoit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad