Prospect Info: Karl Henriksson, C, 2nd round, 58th overall, 2019

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I mean actual reporters, not poster PB and Enver "Jet Morin" Armia.

And this is an actual question because I'm curious to see these reports.

I haven’t seen anything suggesting Henriksson was a reach. I’m going with Brayden Point to be, which would be funny, given he was taken with TB’s 2nd rounder.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Which ones called it a reach?
I think I saw it on blueshirt banter/SB nation, which I don’t consider an amazing place for hockey, but it isn’t terrible. And some of the reporters there know what they are talking about. I’m also talking about a few people on here, but I guess that doesn’t really matter.

Also, I think the major criticism I saw was that Raymond influenced his production at least in some part, but I’ve also seen sources that disprove that.

I know less about this particular prospect than most of our other prospects, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.

Also, the ones who were saying he was a reach didn’t say he was a major reach, just a slight one. I made to post to emphasize the viewpoint that many are saying he could be a steal. In my opinion, I like this pick.

Edit:
Karl Henriksson: 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: Playmaking Center With Great Linemates
This source made a list of where some writers/analysts had him going.

Where is Henriksson Ranked?
Central Scouting has been consistent with Henriksson’s ranking this year. At the midterm, they had him as the #24 ranked European skater, and for the final rankings, bumped him up all of one slot to #23. Considering that North American skaters usually go at a faster clip, being #23 in Europe probably puts him around a 3rd round selection, although there is definite wiggle room there depending on team rankings.
-Future Considerations has him ranked as the #66 overall player in this year’s draft, good for an early third round selection, about right on with his Central Scouting ranking.
-The Draft Analyst is lower on Henriksson than Central Scouting and Future Considerations are. At the midterm, Steve had him ranked #89, but in his final rankings, he placed him at #110. That isn’t crazy off from the third round, but is a bit lower.
-The Hockey Writers, for their April rankings, has Karl as the first pick of the fourth round, pick #94 overall.
-Draft Site has Henriksson particularly low, going at pick #128 near the start of round 5 to Washington. Considering the Devils pick one pick earlier at #127, it would be great for NJ if he did fall that far and they were interested.
-Dobber Prospects, in their mid-April rankings, has him ranked #78 overall, much more closer to how Future Considerations feels about the center than those that have him ranked over #100.”

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
i'm not targeting anyone in particular, especially in this board, but i've noticed on the mainboards and hockey fans in general, if a player is not a super well known prospect and didn't play in North America , people are never very excited about the pick. You can see on the draft threads, where people's "wishlist" or post-draft grades are highers when a player who played in juniors and put up a lot of points and was drafted late 1st, or in the 2nd round are considered a "steal" or a great pick. Nevermind that most of the time that production never translates to the NHL. But people like big numbers and often like to ignore the context. So Bobby Brink and Alex Newhook are AMazINg picks and surefire homerun picks even though they played in shit-tier leagues, meanwhile the Islanders made a horrible pick because they took some Swede that HF wasn't high on. Scouts don't always get it right, but I would still trust them over some dweebs on a forum. Especially when it comes to overseas prospects.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i'm not targeting anyone in particular, especially in this board, but i've noticed on the mainboards and hockey fans in general, if a player is not a super well known prospect and didn't play in North America , people are never very excited about the pick. You can see on the draft threads, where people's "wishlist" or post-draft grades are highers when a player who played in juniors and put up a lot of points and was drafted late 1st, or in the 2nd round are considered a "steal" or a great pick. Nevermind that most of the time that production never translates to the NHL. But people like big numbers and often like to ignore the context. So Bobby Brink and Alex Newhook are AMazINg picks and surefire homerun picks even though they played in ****-tier leagues, meanwhile the Islanders made a horrible pick because they took some Swede that HF wasn't high on. Scouts don't always get it right, but I would still trust them over some dweebs on a forum. Especially when it comes to overseas prospects.

The downside of talking about prospects is that, inevitably, we end up talking about a very select number of players.

It's not done intentionally, it's just a product of their being so many kids in a given year. As a result, we tend to focus on 10-20 names more than others and people often fall in love with those names. After a year or so of repetition, it's hard for people to change course quickly.

Reactions: NernieBichols

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
i'm not targeting anyone in particular, especially in this board, but i've noticed on the mainboards and hockey fans in general, if a player is not a super well known prospect and didn't play in North America , people are never very excited about the pick. You can see on the draft threads, where people's "wishlist" or post-draft grades are highers when a player who played in juniors and put up a lot of points and was drafted late 1st, or in the 2nd round are considered a "steal" or a great pick. Nevermind that most of the time that production never translates to the NHL. But people like big numbers and often like to ignore the context. So Bobby Brink and Alex Newhook are AMazINg picks and surefire homerun picks even though they played in ****-tier leagues, meanwhile the Islanders made a horrible pick because they took some Swede that HF wasn't high on. Scouts don't always get it right, but I would still trust them over some dweebs on a forum. Especially when it comes to overseas prospects.

Not only this, but look at what Bobrov has done for us with Euro prospects. I think we should trust him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Welcome to my world

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Exactly. Building as complete of a team, from top to bottom, is going to be essential. Right now, we have the potential to consider that as a real possibility. We have a legit potential franchise player, we have guys with legit first line potential, support potential, we have potential goal in net, etc.

But yes, when you look at the Edmonton's and Colorado's of the world that sometimes are used as cautionary tales, a big part of their failure is depth. Those two organization have struggled, immensely, to find talent outside of the first round. Beyond that, those teams have often struggled to produce NHL talent outside of the top 12 picks in the draft.

You need high-end skill and talent. But you also need support players, and guys who can get to the puck and get it out of the zone. You need forwards who can wear down the opposition so that your skill players can go out and do their thing.

The last few years represents a very balanced approach, and I support what they've done.

To expand on the bold, you need those players cheap. In a cap world, you can afford to sign only so many support players. You truly need to draft them.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think I saw it on blueshirt banter/SB nation, which I don’t consider an amazing place for hockey, but it isn’t terrible. And some of the reporters there know what they are talking about. I’m also talking about a few people on here, but I guess that doesn’t really matter.

BSB is pure garbage. It's one of the worst SBNation sites to exist.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad