Rumor: Kaprizov and Sorokin will play next season in the KHL

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ah, ok then, this "officially" sucks. I guess the NHL is also banning players like Hamilton and Guentzel from playing also, as they never would've played in the 1st round in a normal season?:sarcasm:

I guess if the Wild added Kaprizov, it would've made them too exciting to watch. Oh well, back to the trap with Jacques.:sarcasm:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
It’s too early to make any definitive statements either way. The nhl hasn’t even resumed play yet or the playoffs. Any speculation about this or other offseason matters is just that baseless speculation.when the time comes the league will deal with bringing players over. I know for a fact that Sorokin is in regular contact with the islanders Lou Lamouriello. So who do that if he isn’t interested in coming over? Obviously there are procedural moves the league feels that take priority first. As they should.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It’s too early to make any definitive statements either way. The nhl hasn’t even resumed play yet or the playoffs. Any speculation about this or other offseason matters is just that baseless speculation.when the time comes the league will deal with bringing players over. I know for a fact that Sorokin is in regular contact with the islanders Lou Lamouriello. So who do that if he isn’t interested in coming over? Obviously there are procedural moves the league feels that take priority first. As they should.
Russo has direct quotes from Bill Daly on numerous occasions where Daly states that the NHL has zero intentions of allowing any players to sign deals this year.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Russo has direct quotes from Bill Daly on numerous occasions where Daly states that the NHL has zero intentions of allowing any players to sign deals this year.
This year ends June 30th. ( or once the playoffs end) the nhl year isn’t the calendar year. When the time comes the league will allow signings. It’s just not a priority right now. Nor should it be. You guys are misreading the situation completely. Again I can’t speak to kaprizov or Romanov, because I’m not aware of those details, but I do know that Lamouriello has spoken to Sorokin in the last month. And he hasn’t signed in the KHL. When the time comes the league will deal with this. It’s just not a priority right now. Russo just doesn’t understand and is misreporting the facts. As he often does.

did he even mention the league year as opposed to the calendar year? No he didn’t. That why he’s a fool

Last edited by a moderator:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I agree with the fact the players on reserve lists SHOULD be able to play. We have seen it happen with college kids (Makar, Kreider, etc), and we have seen it with Europeans. I don't get the reasoning for preventing it. Too much uncertainty, and now you're outright screwing a team like the Isles, who may or may not have used him come playoff time.
The likelihood of Sorokin playing for the isles in the playoffs is slim. The problem is if he’s not allowed to sign now the isles way lose him back to the KHL where he can be guaranteed money and a contract during all this uncertainty with the NHL for this season and next.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
This year ends June 30th. ( or once the playoffs end) the nhl year isn’t the calendar year. When the time comes the league will allow signings. It’s just not a priority right now. Nor should it be. You guys are misreading the situation completely. Again I can’t speak to kaprizov or Romanov, because I’m not aware of those details, but I do know that Lamouriello has spoken to Sorokin in the last month. And he hasn’t signed in the KHL. When the time comes the league will deal with this. It’s just not a priority right now. Russo just doesn’t understand and is misreporting the facts. As he often does.

did he even mention the league year as opposed to the calendar year? No he didn’t. That why he’s a fool
You have zero understanding of the current situation.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020

Your comment is so foolish. To say Russo mis-states situations & exaggerate is so funny & delusional. Russo is one of the best in the business & it's very clear you dont understand anything.

isles fans like you who doesn't live in Minnesota & obviously doesn't know anything about Russo saying he Mis-reportz situation alot is just comical . Russo isn't fakenews

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
You forgot to end with /s.
For the Rangers to win the lottery (well, it can't be 1st overall pick). They would have to beat the Canes, and Toronto would have to lose. Both Toronto and the Hurricanes would need to win the lottery, with NYR receiving the latter lottery pick.

And if the NYR beat the Hurricanes in a total crapshoot and get wrecked in the actual playoffs, they receive a worse pick than if they likely missed the playoffs, had none of this happened.

We are talking about the NHL brass re-writing rules and past standard practices.

In the past, the Wild, Islanders, etc. should have been able to sign players like Kaprizov, Sorokin, etc. to contracts to burn off this season based on the end of their KHL season.

If Daly and the NHL continue to insist they cannot sign, even calling these players "ringers", it hurts the team and player. That is BS.

Meanwhile, how can anyone seriously argue that these changes to the play-in/playoff format don't potentially help a team like the Rangers far more than the downside?

At a minimum, the Rangers get some revenue and playoff-type experience for their young players and team. That is invaluable in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, where they were unlikely and not expected to make the playoffs.

The Rangers get to play Carolina, who they are 4-0 against this year. That couldn't be a better matchup.

The pick the Rangers got for Skjei was widely expected to be in the 20's based on Carolina probably making the playoffs. Now, if the Rangers eliminate them, and Toronto also gets bounced in the first round (entirely possible), the Rangers could be getting a pick in the 1-3 range.

It is possible Carolina's pick ends up #1 overall and, if Toronto is 2-3, the Leafs keep their pick (top-10 protected) and Carolina would presumably need to surrender their pick to the Rangers.

Obviously there are other scenarios for the Carolina pick, but if the Rangers beat them, it will probably be better than originally expected.

Getting a chance at the playoffs, the NHL draft lottery and the Canes in the first round, plus the potential return on Skjei? That is a dream scenario right now, that would be vastly different otherwise.

Of course we are getting off topic, which is that the NHL is changing rules and standard practices that are potentially helpful to some teams and damaging to others, like the Wild and the Islanders.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The likelihood of Sorokin playing for the isles in the playoffs is slim. The problem is if he’s not allowed to sign now the isles way lose him back to the KHL where he can be guaranteed money and a contract during all this uncertainty with the NHL for this season and next.
Yea, and I seriously do believe he and Kaprizov are heading back one more year.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We are talking about the NHL brass re-writing rules and past standard practices.

In the past, the Wild, Islanders, etc. should have been able to sign players like Kaprizov, Sorokin, etc. to contracts to burn off this season based on the end of their KHL season.

If Daly and the NHL continue to insist they cannot sign, even calling these players "ringers", it hurts the team and player. That is BS.

Meanwhile, how can anyone seriously argue that these changes to the play-in/playoff format don't potentially help a team like the Rangers far more than the downside?

At a minimum, the Rangers get some revenue and playoff-type experience for their young players and team. That is invaluable in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, where they were unlikely and not expected to make the playoffs.

The Rangers get to play Carolina, who they are 4-0 against this year. That couldn't be a better matchup.

The pick the Rangers got for Skjei was widely expected to be in the 20's based on Carolina probably making the playoffs. Now, if the Rangers eliminate them, and Toronto also gets bounced in the first round (entirely possible), the Rangers could be getting a pick in the 1-3 range.

It is possible Carolina's pick ends up #1 overall and, if Toronto is 2-3, the Leafs keep their pick (top-10 protected) and Carolina would presumably need to surrender their pick to the Rangers.

Obviously there are other scenarios for the Carolina pick, but if the Rangers beat them, it will probably be better than originally expected.

Getting a chance at the playoffs, the NHL draft lottery and the Canes in the first round, plus the potential return on Skjei? That is a dream scenario right now, that would be vastly different otherwise.

Of course we are getting off topic, which is that the NHL is changing rules and standard practices that are potentially helpful to some teams and damaging to others, like the Wild and the Islanders.
If they wanted to really help the Rangers, they would have put us against a different team, so the possibility of NYR, Hurricanes and Toronto all losing and entering the lottery would have been in our favor...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Yea, and I seriously do believe he and Kaprizov are heading back one more year.

ill be shocked if that happens. despite what russo believes. I fully expect both to be in the NHL this fall. not for these playoffs but for the 2020-2021 season I see no reason to delay big money by holding off their ELC contracts. They cant just avoid them by playing in The KHL

the sooner they come over, the Sooner they can make the real money

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think there are a lot of people that don't understand the NHL's ruling. Let's split it up into different parts.

1. Players such as Kaprizov and Sorokin were out of contract May 1. Unless CSKA mutually agreed to terminate their contracts before that date, like Gusev and Gavrikov last year from SKA, they could not have signed an ELC with their NHL teams before that date.

2. The Russian National Team has influence on these termination decisions. The Russian National Team often doesn't want these players to have their contracts terminated because they want them to play in the World Championships, so very rarely will teams terminate player contracts before the season is over to allow them to sign in the NHL prior to the next season.

3. The Gagarin Cup Playoffs were scheduled to end on April 25, and CSKA was the best team in the league, so I think a lot suspected that Kaprizov and Sorokin would've been playing until late April if the KHL season wasn't cancelled. The NHL can't assume that result would've 100% happened in retroactively applying that until now in this ruling, but considering there was a decent chance it would've happened, that obviously factors into the NHL's decision.

4. If CSKA is playing until April 25, there's a good chance that Minnesota or New York aren't playing by that point. If they aren't playing, there is no contract to burn because their season is over.

5. A team's season is over once they are eliminated. There are seven team's whose season is over right now. This was confirmed today by Pierre LeBrun. They are allowed to make trades, and conduct business that a team isn't allowed to do past the trade deadline during the season.

6. No one knows for sure how any of this would've played out between which NHL teams would've still been playing, which KHL teams would've still been playing, and whether there would be any contract terminations, but there are a few permutations involved to get these players signed.

7. Thats why the NHL was always going to have to make an arbitrary decision. There is nothing in the CBA that discusses how to deal with this situation. The NHL would have to make a ruling for these situations.

8. Given these permutations that would be involved in getting these players signed and also some COVID-related reasons, the NHL doesn't want to allow these signings for this season. You can agree with it or not, but this decision isn't inconsistent or being against any certain team. There is no precedent for this type of situation for there to be any chance for any consistency or lack of consistency for the NHL. They weighed the considerations, they considered the situation with COVID, and they don't want to add another layer to all their decisions to iron out. There are 2-3 teams that would be effected, at all, by this. This isn't high on their priority list.

Reactions: North and mouser

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Your comment is so foolish. To say Russo mis-states situations & exaggerate is so funny & delusional. Russo is one of the best in the business & it's very clear you dont understand anything.

isles fans like you who doesn't live in Minnesota & obviously doesn't know anything about Russo saying he Mis-reportz situation alot is just comical . Russo isn't fakenews
Please don't say that represents all Isles fans. I am one and I respect and enjoy Russo's writing.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
NHL seems to have gone out of their way to screw the Wild on this one. Because of their arbitrary ruling on this year, the Wild are likely to lose Kaprizov not only for this year's playoffs( which he should have been eligible for), but for next season, due to the probable shortened season, making it a money loser for KK to come over.

Can't blame him for staying home and making more money. The only thing that might drive him to the NHL is if C-19 gets much worse in Russia, and much better in the USA.
Don't forget about the Islanders too. We signed subpar Varlamov over Lehner foley to help bring Sorokin over. And Greiss is walking after this year. If we don't get Ilya due to the NHL's stubbornness, we're screwed

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think there are a lot of people that don't understand the NHL's ruling. Let's split it up into different parts.

1. Players such as Kaprizov and Sorokin were out of contract May 1. Unless CSKA mutually agreed to terminate their contracts before that date, like Gusev and Gavrikov last year from SKA, they could not have signed an ELC with their NHL teams before that date.

2. The Russian National Team has influence on these termination decisions. The Russian National Team often doesn't want these players to have their contracts terminated because they want them to play in the World Championships, so very rarely will teams terminate player contracts before the season is over to allow them to sign in the NHL prior to the next season.

3. The Gagarin Cup Playoffs were scheduled to end on April 25, and CSKA was the best team in the league, so I think a lot suspected that Kaprizov and Sorokin would've been playing until late April if the KHL season wasn't cancelled. The NHL can't assume that result would've 100% happened in retroactively applying that until now in this ruling, but considering there was a decent chance it would've happened, that obviously factors into the NHL's decision.

4. If CSKA is playing until April 25, there's a good chance that Minnesota or New York aren't playing by that point. If they aren't playing, there is no contract to burn because their season is over.

5. A team's season is over once they are eliminated. There are seven team's whose season is over right now. This was confirmed today by Pierre LeBrun. They are allowed to make trades, and conduct business that a team isn't allowed to do past the trade deadline during the season.

6. No one knows for sure how any of this would've played out between which NHL teams would've still been playing, which KHL teams would've still been playing, and whether there would be any contract terminations, but there are a few permutations involved to get these players signed.

7. Thats why the NHL was always going to have to make an arbitrary decision. There is nothing in the CBA that discusses how to deal with this situation. The NHL would have to make a ruling for these situations.

8. Given these permutations that would be involved in getting these players signed and also some COVID-related reasons, the NHL doesn't want to allow these signings for this season. You can agree with it or not, but this decision isn't inconsistent or being against any certain team. There is no precedent for this type of situation for there to be any chance for any consistency or lack of consistency for the NHL. They weighed the considerations, they considered the situation with COVID, and they don't want to add another layer to all their decisions to iron out. There are 2-3 teams that would be effected, at all, by this. This isn't high on their priority list.
Now please explain how all of the above pertains to guys like Scott Perunovich and Dylan Samberg.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Now please explain how all of the above pertains to guys like Scott Perunovich and Dylan Samberg.

Same type of considerations, although I guess technically they are not under contract anywhere professionally.

You don’t know the parameters for the team when they would’ve signed. Instead of giving every team a pass and assuming that they would’ve signed all these players while their team was still in-season, the league doesn’t want to add another layer to figure out in what is already a lot of arbitrary decisions that aren’t covered in the CBA for how to deal with these situations. There’s nothing inconsistent about it nor does it single out any specific teams. Like many other decisions the league has to make, it’ll be of benefit to some and not to others.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Huh? What the NHL is doing now by disallowing signings of players from their own reserve list(as they have done in the past) is the very definition of arbitrary and inconsistent. Aren't rules supposed to be...rules? Like, otherwise, what's the point?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Same type of considerations, although I guess technically they are not under contract anywhere professionally.

You don’t know the parameters for the team when they would’ve signed. Instead of giving every team a pass and assuming that they would’ve signed all these players while their team was still in-season, the league doesn’t want to add another layer to figure out in what is already a lot of arbitrary decisions that aren’t covered in the CBA for how to deal with these situations. There’s nothing inconsistent about it nor does it single out any specific teams. Like many other decisions the league has to make, it’ll be of benefit to some and not to others.
Yeah, none of that passes the bullshit filter.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, none of that passes the bullshit filter.

Why is that?

Your fan base has cried foul about this.

Clearly that’s not the case. Any decision would be arbitrary, so it’d either arbitrarily favor your team or arbitrarily not do so. But it’s not much of a leap to decide what they have done so with the considerations at hand for the NHL. It doesn’t benefit your team. Sometimes that happens in sport. Don’t cry foul though. You don’t like the reasoning, but there’s nothing inconsistent or anti-Wild about the decision.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huh? What the NHL is doing now by disallowing signings of players from their own reserve list(as they have done in the past) is the very definition of arbitrary and inconsistent. Aren't rules supposed to be...rules? Like, otherwise, what's the point?

This has already been explained by someone else. Each team has until their season has ended to sign a player for that season. You can’t sign a player in May if your season is over in April. The contract will go into effect the next season if that’s what you do. It doesn’t matter if they are on a reserve list. I don’t know why you even bring that up.

The NHL is already operating with arbitrary deadlines and dates that they’ve changed around and went against their CBA to put into effect for the rest of this season. What they seemingly don’t want to do is extend that signing rule for this season to cover the full length of this season which will go all the way into September or October.

There is nothing in the CBA about how to rule on contracts being signed for this type of situation, so they will be using their best judgement. They evidently don’t want to extend it the full length of this season until September/October and don’t want to be playing a guessing game of if a team would’ve still been in-season on an unknown date that teams would’ve signed these players without COVID. Don’t cry foul or inconsistency.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Perunovich and Samberg signed contracts starting with the 2020-21 season, not the current 2019-20 season. There's nothing preventing Kaprizov or Sorokin from doing the same.

Reactions: North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad