Rumor: Kaprizov and Sorokin will play next season in the KHL

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Reactions: SI90

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
It's basically a lock. Why would articles keep coming out about this?

UPDATE: So, they're staying?? I translated the article, but it's always tough to translate with Google.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Капризов и Сорокин могут остаться в ЦСКА. Сколько реально платят в «Авангарде». Почему Мозякин не продается как Гретцки

This site says, there is an inside information about it. Like, it's 95% true for Kaprizov and 90% for Sorokin. Reason: NHL doesn't let them play. Still, it's a rumor.
Hopefully this is true and it will put pressure on Bettman and Daly to pull their heads out of their asses

Reactions: fgobuzz

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Капризов и Сорокин могут остаться в ЦСКА. Сколько реально платят в «Авангарде». Почему Мозякин не продается как Гретцки

This site says, there is an inside information about it. Like, it's 95% true for Kaprizov and 90% for Sorokin. Reason: NHL doesn't let them play. Still, it's a rumor.

It is an unnamed source on a website. Credibility is questionable, but...

Personally I think it makes sense for them to stay and come over early next year for the playoffs. Nobody is expecting 2 full years of ELC to be a competitive proposal.

On the otherhand the KHL after tax top salaries are now equivalent of 2.5mil AAV NHL contracts. At least Kaprisov will likely earn that with the bonuses.

There is also some news about KHL players being available in European free agent market, including a lot of Russians. Could be the new salary cap or KHL might be in trouble. Who knows?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Really no downside To letting guys who were drafted already sign their ELCs. Similar to a junior or college season ending.

In the isles case I just want Sorokin signed. I wouldn’t expect him to play this year unless there was an injury to Greiss or Varlamov anyway. Just would be nice to finally have him come over and start integrating himself with the organization.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I haven’t been paying attention to this. Why won’t the NHL let them sign? Are they already under contract in the KHL next season?

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Seems to me like the issue is that they cant burn a year of eligibility. Maybe Im totally wrong tho.

For Sorokin specifically his ELC will be a 1 year deal due to his age. His thinking was to try and burn his ELC year now when it doesn't REALLY count and then can cash in faster in the NHL. He'd take a pretty good paycut on his ELC so I get it. I ASSume it's the same for Kaprizov but you know how that goes...

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

P10p

May 15, 2012
I haven’t been paying attention to this. Why won’t the NHL let them sign? Are they already under contract in the KHL next season?

Neither are signed but were projected to join their respective clubs for the playoffs. In a normal season this would have happened already.

For some arbitrary reason the league changed the rule meaning teams aren't allowed to sign contracts with 2019-2020 start dates. The league seems to take the stance that with so many moving pieces, this adds another wrinkle. They haven't been clear on this though.

This would make sense if it wasn't only about 5 players that this rule affected. Pretty ridiculous imo.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Good question. The answer is that nobody knows why. They are not under contract, the teams do own their rights, they are on their teams reserved lists, which would make them eligible in every other season to sign with their NHL clubs and play in the playoffs, and the NHL hasn't actually given a reason as to why they overturned the rule that allows these players to sign, normally. What the NHL has said is something along the lines of "we have a lot to worry about right now".

Looks like @P10p beat me to it!

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
For Sorokin specifically his ELC will be a 1 year deal due to his age. His thinking was to try and burn his ELC year now when it doesn't REALLY count and then can cash in faster in the NHL. He'd take a pretty good paycut on his ELC so I get it. I ASSume it's the same for Kaprizov but you know how that goes...
Yeah, exactly, that's my thinking and that's what makes sense for those guys, imo. Maybe there are also issues around quarantine - as in, they dont want to account for new players for this season - but that seems like it should have a workaround, at least

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
NHL seems to have gone out of their way to screw the Wild on this one. Because of their arbitrary ruling on this year, the Wild are likely to lose Kaprizov not only for this year's playoffs( which he should have been eligible for), but for next season, due to the probable shortened season, making it a money loser for KK to come over.

Can't blame him for staying home and making more money. The only thing that might drive him to the NHL is if C-19 gets much worse in Russia, and much better in the USA.

Reactions: uncleben

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Good question. The answer is that nobody knows why. They are not under contract, the teams do own their rights, they are on their teams reserved lists, which would make them eligible in every other season to sign with their NHL clubs and play in the playoffs, and the NHL hasn't actually given a reason as to why they overturned the rule that allows these players to sign, normally. What the NHL has said is something along the lines of "we have a lot to worry about right now".

Looks like @P10p beat me to it!

The only reasoning I can come up with is because the CBA doesn't cover signing a player for a league year and then having that player play within that league year after June 30th. It's the same reason why the NHL and NHLPA have to agree to extend players on expiring contracts, and they have to figure out how to deal with all the scouts and front office people who have expiring contracts as well.

I'm sure they could come to an agreement that would allow these players to play in the 2019-20 season, but it wasn't at the top of their priority list. Maybe now that most of the details of the return to play have been hammered out, they will start discussing it. I can't imagine why anyone would be against it. Other than the timing issues, it's no different than any other year.

Reactions: duster19

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm pretty sure that Vancouver might be against it, but in reality, it's a lot to expect of him to come over and make a difference right away playing in a best of five series with completely foreign teammates. It's the possibility that MN will lose out on him next year due to a NHL ruling that bothers me.

Last edited:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I agree with the fact the players on reserve lists SHOULD be able to play. We have seen it happen with college kids (Makar, Kreider, etc), and we have seen it with Europeans. I don't get the reasoning for preventing it. Too much uncertainty, and now you're outright screwing a team like the Isles, who may or may not have used him come playoff time.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Kaprizov was drafted in 2015, 5 years ago. How many more years the Wild hold his rights?
He is still yet to sign with Wild. - if they don't sign him this season, they lose his rights, right?, right?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad