Rumor: Kaprizov and Sorokin will play next season in the KHL

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Perunovich and Samberg signed contracts starting with the 2020-21 season, not the current 2019-20 season. There's nothing preventing Kaprizov or Sorokin from doing the same.
True which is what likely will happen once the league year ends.there is no urgency to do it right now, since they can’t play anyway.

the fact is Russo assumed things that aren’t necessarily true. As I said before it makes zero sense for kaprizov or sorokin to delay getting out from under their ELC limitations as quickly as they can. Signing back in the KHL only delays their ability to sign a big money contract, once they have fulfilled that requirement. Russo totally missed the boat here. These players aren’t stupid. They want to get paid like anybody else.

from Arthur Staple’s reports Sorokin only needs to sign a one year contract to fulfill his entry level obligations, why would he sign back in the KHL and delay his own ability to secure a much bigger contract. It make zero sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
ill be shocked if that happens. despite what russo believes. I fully expect both to be in the NHL this fall. not for these playoffs but for the 2020-2021 season I see no reason to delay big money by holding off their ELC contracts. They cant just avoid them by playing in The KHL

the sooner they come over, the Sooner they can make the real money
I agree. I'd swallow the pill and move on. Plus it's not like they're deprived or anything--they made money in the KHL for years.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I agree. I'd swallow the pill and move on. Plus it's not like they're deprived or anything--they made money in the KHL for years.
Exactly, it’s what his friend and rival Shestyorkin did. These guys aren’t stupid they know where the real money is.

Sorokin made 2.8 million in US dollars last year. He knows that his earnings would more than double in the states once his ELC is up. Which is why Russo missed the boat. They know what Price and Bobrovsky are making here, it’s not like they don’t have televisions or newspapers in Russia.

Kaprizov made less than 2 million last year in US dollars last year. Do people honestly think he doesn’t know Panarin makes almost 12

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Exactly, it’s what his friend and rival Shestyorkin did. These guys aren’t stupid they know where the real money is.

Sorokin made 2.8 million in US dollars last year. He knows that his earnings would more than double in the states once his ELC is up. Which is why Russo missed the boat. They know what Price and Bobrovsky are making here, it’s not like they don’t have televisions or newspapers in Russia.

Kaprizov made less than 2 million last year in US dollars last year. Do people honestly think he doesn’t know Panarin makes almost 12
exactly

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Perunovich and Samberg signed contracts starting with the 2020-21 season, not the current 2019-20 season. There's nothing preventing Kaprizov or Sorokin from doing the same.
And that has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
True which is what likely will happen once the league year ends.there is no urgency to do it right now, since they can’t play anyway.

the fact is Russo assumed things that aren’t necessarily true. As I said before it makes zero sense for kaprizov or sorokin to delay getting out from under their ELC limitations as quickly as they can. Signing back in the KHL only delays their ability to sign a big money contract, once they have fulfilled that requirement. Russo totally missed the boat here. These players aren’t stupid. They want to get paid like anybody else.

from Arthur Staple’s reports Sorokin only needs to sign a one year contract to fulfill his entry level obligations, why would he sign back in the KHL and delay his own ability to secure a much bigger contract. It make zero sense.
Does it really need to be explained to you that the quickest way for these guys to get through their ELC's is to sign for this season?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

I'm not sure you've even considered any alternate scenario except the one you wish to see as things stand.

Your scenario: Sorokin signs with the Isles for 20/21, completes his ELC, and signs a more lucrative contract from 2021-on

The alternate scenario: Sorokin re-signs a seven-figure deal with CSKA, plays the entire season in the KHL, signs with the Isles for the tail end of the 20/21 season, completes his ELC, and signs a more lucrative contract from 2021-on

Scenario B results in more money, staying close to home/family/friends for longer, far less time sitting idle between seasons, and potentially ending his KHL career with a Ganarin Cup all while, in terms of NHL contract, ending up the the same spot as if he signed with the Isles right now. Yet you argue it makes zero sense.

Also, for the life of me, can't figure out why you keep harping on Russo.

Wild notes: On Kirill Kaprizov, Kaapo Kahkonen, the Winter Classic and more <- Please point out his boat missing from his latest article which covers this subject

edit: Thought of another advantage to re-signing in Moscow, gets to keep his beard and #90 for a while longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Perhaps you need to ask your questions more clearly then.
The question is, why has the NHL decided to implement a new rule that makes zero sense to implement? And, with all due respect, nobody has been able to come up with a theory that makes even one bit of sense when contrasted with the way the league has been doing it for years.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The question is, why has the NHL decided to implement a new rule that makes zero sense to implement? And, with all due respect, nobody has been able to come up with a theory that makes even one bit of sense when contrasted with the way the league has been doing it for years.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Historically it's been very rare for players to sign current season contracts after the playoffs begin, and almost never after the end of April.

Not allowing new contracts for the current season creates an environment much closer to the historical status quo then allowing contracts now for the current season would.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It makes a lot of sense to me. Historically it's been very rare for players to sign current season contracts after the playoffs begin, and almost never after the end of April.

Not allowing new contracts for the current season creates an environment much closer to the historical status quo then allowing contracts now for the current season would.
Except for just last season when it happened multiple times?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm not sure you've even considered any alternate scenario except the one you wish to see as things stand.

Your scenario: Sorokin signs with the Isles for 20/21, completes his ELC, and signs a more lucrative contract from 2021-on

The alternate scenario: Sorokin re-signs a seven-figure deal with CSKA, plays the entire season in the KHL, signs with the Isles for the tail end of the 20/21 season, completes his ELC, and signs a more lucrative contract from 2021-on

Scenario B results in more money, staying close to home/family/friends for longer, far less time sitting idle between seasons, and potentially ending his KHL career with a Ganarin Cup all while, in terms of NHL contract, ending up the the same spot as if he signed with the Isles right now. Yet you argue it makes zero sense.

Wild notes: On Kirill Kaprizov, Kaapo Kahkonen, the Winter Classic and more <- Please point out his boat missing from his latest article which covers this subject

edit: Thought of another advantage to re-signing in Moscow, gets to keep his beard and #90 for a while longer.

That's possible. It should be kept in mind that Sorokin might not have the opportunity to sign for the tail end of 2020-21 though. Depends on several factors including:
- If the Isles make the playoffs,
- Isles might need to make the 2nd round,
- How far CSKA goes in the KHL playoffs,
- Would it even be possible to sign before May 1st, 2021--KHL has been trying to stop this

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

Kaprizov is 23 and eligible for 2 years ELC. Next year he'll be 24 and eligible for 1 year ELC. If he doesn't play in the playoffs, his ELC will expire in 2022 no matter where he plays this coming season.

The only plus of playing next season in the NHL is he'll have 2 years to prove himself, not one. But there is a huge minus tied to the plus: 10 months without hockey.

Last edited:

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
That's possible. It should be kept in mind that Sorokin might not have the opportunity to sign for the tail end of 2020-21 though. Depends on several factors including:
- If the Isles make the playoffs,
- Isles might need to make the 2nd round,
- How far CSKA goes in the KHL playoffs,
- Would it even be possible to sign before May 1st, 2021--KHL has been trying to stop this

All true but I should add that the 'stick' the KHL wields to discourage clubs releasing guys before May 1st is that said team would lose the player's rights which probably isn't the biggest deal for CSKA compared to other clubs and if they did Sorokin a good-will favour of releasing him early to burn his NHL ELC it would likely increase the chance of him returning to the club in the future if things didn't go his way in Long Island.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

Staple covered that, the isles won’t let Sorokin come over for less than a full year they want the option of him playing in The AHL if he’s not ready.

Lamouriello is nothing if not prepared. Lou has said repeatedly no player comes before the team. And the team holds Sorokin rights forever as long as he plays in Russia he can NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL without signing an ELC CONTRACT.

And that is why I harp on Russo, he totally is misinformed in the case of Sorokin, and likely kaprizov as well. All resigning in the KHL does for Sorokin is delay his payday by an additional year.

Russo is just totally clueless because he doesn’t understand what the ELC does. You can’t be a free agent at 27 if you never signed an ELC. And if you have you owe the team 4 more years after the ELC ends, to reach UFA status. Which would make Sorokin 30 years old. So signing in the KHL SEVERELY limits his future earnings. That’s why Russo is stupid, because he doesn’t understand the ELC or how it works. Obviously you don’t either. Or you wouldn’t defend him. Don’t take my word on it, read the CBA. It’s spelled out quite clearly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Except for just last season when it happened multiple times?

Two players signed last season on April 14th, a few days into the playoffs. In 2017-18 one player signed on April 15, again a few days into the playoffs. Zero players signed in 2016-17 and 2015-16. No one signed in May of any year.

I think that fits my description.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Staple covered that, the isles won’t let Sorokin come over for less than a full year they want the option of him playing in The AHL if he’s not ready.

Lamouriello is nothing if not prepared. Lou has said repeatedly no player comes before the team. And the team holds Sorokin rights forever as long as he plays in Russia he can NEVER PLAY IN THE NHL without signing an ELC CONTRACT.

And that why I harp on Russo he totally is misinformed in the case of Sorokin, and likely kaprizov as well.

What Ilya Sorokin’s arrival will mean for the Islanders

From Staple, Less than 2 months ago:
"
Lou Lamoriello never wavered when asked whether Ilya Sorokin would be signing with the Islanders when the KHL season ended this spring.
“Yes, we expect him here,” was Lamoriello’s favorite phrase...

"

So that directly contradicts your statement "the isles won’t let Sorokin come over for less than a full year they want the option of him playing in The AHL if he’s not ready."

Also, you can send anyone without a NMC to the AHL. Sorokin would obviously want a 1-way contract but he could still be demoted to Bridgeport at any time if his play wasn't up to snuff.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

And that why I harp on Russo, he totally is misinformed in the case of Sorokin, and likely kaprizov as well. All resigning in the KHL does for Sorokin is delay his payday by an additional year.

Russo is just totally clueless because he doesn’t understand what the ELC does. You can’t be a free agent at 27 if you never signed an ELC. And if you have you owe the team 4 more years after the ELC ends, to reach UFA status. Which would make Sorokin 30 years old. So signing in the KHL SEVERELY limits his future earnings. That’s why Russo is stupid.

Not sure which of these you're attributing to Russo or your own thoughts. Couple things:
- At age 28+ a European player is not subject to the ELC system and can sign for any amount. Perhaps some confusion regarding the age 27 UFA comments in there.
- Not sure where the four more years comes from. A player signing a one year ELC at age 27 would be a UFA when the contract ends.

Reactions: 2Pair and barriers

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Also, you can send anyone without a NMC to the AHL. Sorokin would obviously want a 1-way contract but he could still be demoted to Bridgeport at any time if his play wasn't up to snuff.

ELC contracts must be 2-way deals with a maximum AHL salary of $70k. Not an option to make them 1-way.

Reactions: 2Pair

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

And that is why I harp on Russo, he totally is misinformed in the case of Sorokin, and likely kaprizov as well. All resigning in the KHL does for Sorokin is delay his payday by an additional year.

Russo is just totally clueless because he doesn’t understand what the ELC does. You can’t be a free agent at 27 if you never signed an ELC. And if you have you owe the team 4 more years after the ELC ends, to reach UFA status. Which would make Sorokin 30 years old. So signing in the KHL SEVERELY limits his future earnings. That’s why Russo is stupid, because he doesn’t understand the ELC or how it works. Obviously you don’t either. Or you wouldn’t defend him. Don’t take my word on it, read the CBA. It’s spelled out quite clearly.

Jesus, go get some air the maybe spend 5 minutes actually looking into this. Age 28+ players aren't restriced to entry-level contracts. If he signed a 1 year deal at that age he would immediately be a UFA at the end of said contract.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
ELC contracts must be 2-way deals with a maximum AHL salary of $70k. Not an option to make them 1-way.

This is correct, the 1-way I had hypothesized would have been his contract after his ELC in the scenario he burns the ELC by signing with the Isles late next season. Which would be his first full NHL season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's what I don't get, why does Sorokin and Kaprizov not being able to burn a year of their ELC this year mean that they're going back to the KHL for next year? Like they're going to have to play for that year regardless, no?

It just seems like a dumb line in the sand to draw to demand opting out of 1 year of their ELC. Tbh, that makes me think that they don't care about coming over to the NHL in the first place.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Not sure which of these you're attributing to Russo or your own thoughts. Couple things:
- At age 28+ a European player is not subject to the ELC system and can sign for any amount. Perhaps some confusion regarding the age 27 UFA comments in there.
- Not sure where the four more years comes from. A player signing a one year ELC at age 27 would be a UFA when the contract ends.
Mouser no offense to you but the cba clearly states you must have 4 accrued seasons to be a free agent so the cba disagrees with you. The 28+ issue I’m not aware of so that may be a factor but would Sorokin waste 3 years before coming over?

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Mouser no offense to you but the cba clearly states you must have 4 accrued seasons to be a free agent so the cba disagrees with you
Nikita Gusev - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Signed ELC last year at age 26, will be UFA following 2020/21 season

Also,

"10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents. (a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents. (i) Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind."

Collective Bargaining Agreement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad