Value of: Kapanen offer sheet of $4.000M

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I created a Kapanen offer sheet thread because I felt it was the most realistic of an offersheet happening. Those other players are going to demand a lot more money imo than Kapanen.
I agree 4 million for Kapenen if it gets matched probably costs another player.

Good thread.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Carolina does that why? Nylander's value has dropped, not to mention...

If the scenario comes to pass, GMs will know that the Leafs need to trade Nylander just to remain cap compliant - TO would have no leverage.

Failing that, that still adds over a million in cap (Pesce at 4.025M+Kap at 4M) compared to losing Nylander, something Toronto can't really afford.

I mean, yeah they can trade Nylander in order to match an offer sheet to Kapanen. But doubt they will get a young dman.
why do people on her keep on mentioning about pesce and the leafs, give it up already leafs don't want pesce they want Hamilton that's it no other guy, give it up already...pesce is another zeitsev in my view that's it......

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think your line of thinking is off. The less money offered, the easier to match. If a team gets fresh and throws Matthews money at the likes of Point and Laine for example that's a punch to the chops of two teams already with cap issues. A Kapanen 4 million dollar offer just likely means the Leafs have to trade Connor Brown and go with an ELC as the 6th D man.
And thats why I created the thread. To get an idea on what would likely happen.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Yup. Not sure why people think that's such a bad D. Might be better than this year's. Muzzin trade was huge.

Exactly, I don't see all the fuss. Even if Brown is jettisoned, I think Trevor Moore could do just as good a job for half the price. Have ELC defenceman coming up and fully expect Sandin and Lily in the league within two years.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Offersheets don't happen. This is what would happen in this scenario:

-Leafs lowball Kapanen (or Johnsson for that matter, I think he's the better of the two).
-Kapanen/Johnsson agents begin to talk to other teams about what sort of contract they would offer.
-Agent brings those contracts to Dubas and says they will sign one of these offersheets if you don't improve your offer.
-Dubas meets in the middle or trades the player to the team looking to sign instead of an offersheet (other team agrees to do this to ensure they get the player. Toronto would just match the sheet and deal with the cap implications.)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Exactly, I don't see all the fuss. Even if Brown is jettisoned, I think Trevor Moore could do just as good a job for half the price. Have ELC defenceman coming up and fully expect Sandin and Lily in the league within two years.

That's where many will be disappointed on here. You can move Brown easily, put in Moore and that alone saves you 1.5+ million.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As long as Andersson plays 70 games it's fine.

Why are the backups numbers always good? Why are the Leafs 7th in GA?
At some point the numbers need to show how the Leafs have such a poor D.

I am telling you, Dermott is the real D and will help the Leafs with more TOI. Hainsey is brutal. Their D can definitely be better next season.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don't think an offer sheet to Kapanen is a crazy idea, but $4M isn't enough to make the Leafs blink. Try $5M+

The key for offer sheets, with realistic odds of getting the player, is that you are rarely going to end up paying the player the right value. It's almost always going to need to be an overpay. You can deprive another club of his services, but you're going to pay a tax for the player, over and above the compensation to the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Obviously they match.
Can they? If Marner signs close to 11M, and Kapanen is signed to an offer sheet. Leafs will have a lot of inflated contracts added to the big 4. This would put them in a cap hole. If a team offer sheets Kapanen. It will put them in a bad position to match.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can they? If Marner signs close to 11M, and Kapanen is signed to an offer sheet. Leafs will have a lot of inflated contracts added to the big 4. This would put them in a cap hole. If a team offer sheets Kapanen. It will put them in a bad position to match.
You could very well be right...but I think if it heads towards that direction the leafs would deal him months before that date.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
With news coming out that discount offers were declined I think it makes it that much harder for them to match imo.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Islanders should offersheet him...watching the series against the Canes, they could use some help.

Yes, they sure could his 1 goal in 7 games in the playoffs against the Canes as the Isles are still 1 of the 8 teams playing. The sweep against The Pens. Not so much.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Where are the Offer Sheet posting for Point? Rantanen, Tkachuk, etc. This board is so TML centric when it comes to the amount of hate its incredible. Buffalo is looking for C and RW and have a tone of Cap space and picks ready to deal. They could easily put a number ahead of the TB offer for Point. The issue with this winding road is that once a GM or Team opens Pandora's Box all hell is gonna break lose. I heard on the Radio that there have been 3 Offer Sheets in something like the past 20 years. Teams don't do it for fear of reprisal on their own stars. The TML organization has more money than most teams in the NHL family you don't think that if an Offer Sheet is presented they will do everything in their power to come up with a number that is fair and is likely 93% Signing Bonus? Furthermore they will likely be nasty when it comes back to payback when the opportunity strikes. Cholowski looks mighty good as a rookie and could be a 1RHD. Say 8 Million Per, 1, 2 and a third for a top pairing RHD sure sign me up!!!!

People aren't lining up to offersheet those guys because they know they'd be the top priority for their existing team and any offer that isn't 15M or something absolutely bonkers is matched immediately. Whereas Kapanen is clearly Toronto's second priority at best with Marner needing a huge deal... and the reality of Toronto having upwards of 34M tied up in three forwards while still wanting/needing to improve their defense to get further in the playoffs.

Kapanen could potentially be the loser in a game of roster roulette for Toronto

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad