Value of: Kapanen offer sheet of $4.000M

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I would like Detroit to offer their 2019 2nd for Kapanen with the understanding that the Wings are planning to offersheet Kapanen for around 4 million.

If Toronto is worried about losing Kapanen to an offersheet, they could get an early 2nd round pick in this draft (where they don't have their 1st round pick) instead of waiting a year and not knowing where the pick will land.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Toronto would match. $4 mil is not crazy and could trade him right after for more than a 2nd.

Reactions: Seras

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
I would be shocked if Toronto doesn't just sign him if he'd be willing to go the offer sheet route for $4 million

Reactions: shortfuze

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Toronto won't have too much cap room to work with, I wouldn't be surprised if they can't match it. Teams should offer sheet him for sure

Can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer. They could easily match (Toronto has about $13M or so in cap space not counting any increase) and deal with the fallout later in the summer. I think to OS Kapenen a team would have to seriously overpay in term or dollars to get Toronto to back away.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer. They could easily match (Toronto has about $13M or so in cap space not counting any increase) and deal with the fallout later in the summer. I think to OS Kapenen a team would have to seriously overpay in term or dollars to get Toronto to back away.
What do you think that number would be?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
They'd match, but it'll really put a squeeze on their cap. I really want to see Kapanen offer-sheeted. He's an ideal target.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I know that offer sheets never happen but this might be the perfect scenario.

Give him four million a year for five years. It would really put the Leafs in a tough spot cap wise. It would be really hard turning down twenty million dollars. He would still only be 27 and hit the UFA market thus cashing in on another nice contract.

All that for a second round pick.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
who gets moved in this scenario if anyone at all?
Probably Nylander. Leafs best hope is to find someone dumber than Dubas to give them decent value, but with Chia gone there aren't many options. You can always count on Chayka to do something stupid, but there aren't many other GM's I see offering much for Nylander and his bloated contract.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Leafs would absolutely match $4m for Kapanen, especially if there's any term on the deal at all. If they matched that they could trade him for way more than a second within 15 minutes. You'd need to be getting up into the $5m or $6m range to really give the Leafs trouble. Even then, they are probably better off matching and then trading that new contract. As a young player with a ton of speed and goalscoring ability he has a lot of value.

EDIT: Y'all can stop quoting a three month old post. You're not the first one to point out the one year trade restriction.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Probably Nylander. Leafs best hope is to find someone dumber than Dubas to give them decent value, but with Chia gone there aren't many options. You can always count on Chayka to do something stupid, but there aren't many other GM's I see offering much for Nylander and his bloated contract.
All that drama just to end up trading him?

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017

So lose Nylander to keep Kapanen? How is that a win?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So lose Nylander to keep Kapanen? How is that a win?
Well, lets say you trade Nylander for Pesce after July 1st. Now you've done 2 things....you've upgraded the RHD position, and saved a chunk of cap to put toward signing Kapanen.

Reactions: Zrinski

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I would be shocked if Kapanen reached RFA status this year. Dubas knows that this is the most dangerous year for offersheets against the Leafs, and that Kapanen is extremely vulnerable. I think he is signed traded well in advance of July 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad