Value of: Kapanen offer sheet of $4.000M

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Of course, there is talk about everything. The threads that come up here are ridiculous. But the collective ***** for a Leafs player being offersheeted is on a different level. Playing it off as anything else is dishonest or delusional.

Search Results for Query: Offer sheet | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League
So what is your point? That people and media are just trolling Leaf fans or something? Do you think they are doing it because they want to see the Leafs burn in flames? or maybe, just maybe, its just hockey discussion because the Leafs finally have the players worth discussing?

Reactions: TS Quint

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Unless a team overpaid I don't see why TO wouldn't match, not sure teams are going to massively overpay for Kap when there are other RFA's out there worth throwing big money at.

And offer sheets are so rarely utilized anyway

I agree offer sheets are rarely used, however, the NHL is changing with a whole new wave of players getting major contracts straight out of RFA, that changes the game considerably. Kapanen is a good example of a player that could very well get an offer sheet. Point, Marner, Rantanen, etc, these guys are top tier players, there is no way they will leave their teams on an offer sheet that would require cap hits so huge it would be prohibitive to even try.

Kapanen, on the other hand, is in a situation where you could see a team overpaying on a 5 year deal to bet on his potential. Kapanen has the speed, pedigree and has shown that he can score. With top line minutes and a good center, he actually could be a really good player in the league. It's conceivable a team sees Kapanen as a top line winger that can score 30 and offer him a 6x5 deal, which the leafs will have a tough time matching.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
It's because it's the Leafs. End of story. They bring readers/viewrrs/listeners.

Actually, it's because the Leafs have multiple good RFA players....with Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson yet to sign, offer sheet speculation is clearly warranted.

They actually are. You just don't think so because the medai doesn't report it.
Are you aware of Winnipeg and Tampa's cap situation?

Tampa I'll give you....but Tampa's fans (and likely management) have proposed that multiple, quality players are likely to be moved....guys like JT Miller and even Yanni Gourde have been proposed as trade options. These are players with term on realistic contracts. With the proposed cap increase and that additional salary moving out, there's a little less of an issue.

Winnipeg is similar in one way (to the Leafs) but dissimilar in another. They are alike in the fact that they've got 3 high-profile RFAs to sign (Laine, Conner, and Trouba). They are dissimilar in the fact that the Jets have almost $24 million in cap space. Sure that gets eaten up pretty quickly should 2 of those 3 guys get Matthews-like contracts. Yet, again, there are multiple proposals and rumors about Trouba being moved....even Conner's been mentioned....and lately, because of Laine's uninspired play and even worse results, his name has surfaced.

The Leafs are $10 million under next year's proposed salary cap and one of their RFAs is being touted as chewing up that remainder.

The threads on HF aren't because you're "the Leafs"; it's because your cap situation and roster situation warrant a lot of speculation.

Reactions: TS Quint

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So what is your point? That people and media are just trolling Leaf fans or something? Do you think they are doing it because they want to see the Leafs burn in flames? or maybe, just maybe, its just hockey discussion because the Leafs finally have the players worth discussing?

Leafs talk is just a bigger deal than anything else.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Actually, it's because the Leafs have multiple good RFA players....with Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson yet to sign, offer sheet speculation is clearly warranted.

Tampa I'll give you....but Tampa's fans (and likely management) have proposed that multiple, quality players are likely to be moved....guys like JT Miller and even Yanni Gourde have been proposed as trade options. These are players with term on realistic contracts. With the proposed cap increase and that additional salary moving out, there's a little less of an issue.

Winnipeg is similar in one way (to the Leafs) but dissimilar in another. They are alike in the fact that they've got 3 high-profile RFAs to sign (Laine, Conner, and Trouba). They are dissimilar in the fact that the Jets have almost $24 million in cap space. Sure that gets eaten up pretty quickly should 2 of those 3 guys get Matthews-like contracts. Yet, again, there are multiple proposals and rumors about Trouba being moved....even Conner's been mentioned....and lately, because of Laine's uninspired play and even worse results, his name has surfaced.

The Leafs are $10 million under next year's proposed salary cap and one of their RFAs is being touted as chewing up that remainder.

The threads on HF aren't because you're "the Leafs"; it's because your cap situation and roster situation warrant a lot of speculation.
You're taking 1 or 2 examples. Tampa fans do not see Gourde moving out.

I actually think the common perception Nylander is 100% gone in the media is stupid.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kapanen will likely ask for more than 4M from the Leafs, thanks to Dubass.
Probably. Kapanen and Teravainen are represented by the same agent group. Perhaps this can shed a light on what to expect.

Teravainen signed a 2 yr, 2.86M bridge for the 17-18 season off of a 15 goal, 42 point season.

Kapanenen already has a 16 goal, 32 point season after 55 games. Safe to assume he will get a bigger bridge contract with the increased cap and production. near or at 4M looks like the sweet spot.

I doubt the Leafs can afford a longer term contract with their current cap crunch barring a sell off by Dubas.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto

What? I was told before the season by many a user that Kapanen and Johnsson were fringe NHLers and worth trash. How the pendulum has swung lol

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So its not exclusive to Toronto is what your'e saying? You mean context is actually involved? Ya, I agree.

It's not exclusive but we get more than the lion's share on here. I mean you created a Kapanen offer sheet thread...I've seen zero of those for Point, Rantanen, Laine, Connor etc...you kinda proved the point on here.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
So you're just accepting that you're a troll?

We're perfectly aware that the team is good. It doesn't make these threads less annoying.

I am perfectly aware that I hate the Leafs. As someone who lives in the GTA but isn't a Leafs fan, the hate is built naturally. But I think you would see from my posts that I am not a troll. I just state my bias.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It's not exclusive but we get more than the lion's share on here. I mean you created a Kapanen offer sheet thread...I've seen zero of those for Point, Rantanen, Laine, Connor etc...you kinda proved the point on here.
Then make one and stop acting like a victim.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I created a Kapanen offer sheet thread because I felt it was the most realistic of an offersheet happening. Those other players are going to demand a lot more money imo than Kapanen.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
You're taking 1 or 2 examples. Tampa fans do not see Gourde moving out.

I actually think the common perception Nylander is 100% gone in the media is stupid.
to be fair the structure of Nylander's contract is the biggest contributor to that perception. The other perception that Nylander will not be traded because Dubas promised him he wouldn't trade him is just as stupid.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I created a Kapanen offer sheet thread because I felt it was the most realistic of an offersheet happening. Those other players are going to demand a lot more money imo than Kapanen.

I think your line of thinking is off. The less money offered, the easier to match. If a team gets fresh and throws Matthews money at the likes of Point and Laine for example that's a punch to the chops of two teams already with cap issues. A Kapanen 4 million dollar offer just likely means the Leafs have to trade Connor Brown and go with an ELC as the 6th D man.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
And you read, comment and like comments on every single thread. If the thread wasn't worth the discussion you wouldn't do any of those things.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think your line of thinking is off. The less money offered, the easier to match. If a team gets fresh and throws Matthews money at the likes of Point and Laine for example that's a punch to the chops of two teams already with cap issues. A Kapanen 4 million dollar offer just likely means the Leafs have to trade Connor Brown and go with an ELC as the 6th D man.
They already have to trade Brown to create Mackenzies stupid 20 man roster in 2019.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad