Value of: Kapanen offer sheet of $4.000M

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Why do that when they can offersheet?

Offersheet must be signed by the player and a player can only sign one at a time. If you're not a top destination -and if you're offersheeting the likes of Kapanen, you probably aren't- it's unlikely your team is their first choice.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No because according to all the geniuses here the leafs will do one of the following....

1. Kapanen re-signs for 8 years at league minimum. He wants to be a leaf so bad he doesn’t care about money. If he could he would pay the leafs to play for them.

2. Trade Zaitsev or Marleau. No complications here at all. They may not get the best assets back but they are still valued around the league and any team would be lucky to have them and their contracts
Boooooooo!!! Get off the stage.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Why would anyone offer him 4. He’s a complimentary player who had one good season. He’d than have a 4 mill QO offer so he’ll either make it the next year too regardless of performance or he’ll walk and you wasted a 2nd. Also what is this fascination with offer sheeting leafs players?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Why would anyone offer him 4. He’s a complimentary player who had one good season. He’d than have a 4 mill QO offer so he’ll either make it the next year too regardless of performance or he’ll walk and you wasted a 2nd. Also what is this fascination with offer sheeting leafs players?

I do enjoy the irony of people who say our stars are over-paid, not only fantasizing about over-paying our depth players, but giving us draft picks in order to do so. Just so we can take a slight loss on their trade value. Boy, they're sure showing us!

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Offersheet must be signed by the player and a player can only sign one at a time. If you're not a top destination -and if you're offersheeting the likes of Kapanen, you probably aren't- it's unlikely your team is their first choice.

I disagree. Kapanen has finally broken out after many years and will want to get paid. Security is everything to a player in his situation. I don't think he would care where he goes as long as he can max out on his earnings during the prime years of his career.

Reactions: Jakey53

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Or

You offer sheet him 4 million for 4 years and you possibly get him, and he ends up being a 50-60 point guy for the few years.

You talk like there is only 1 outcome. Obviously if any team OS him, it's because they believe he will be a 40+ point guy. Just like you guys gave Nylander 6.9 million for a reason. Not to have a season like this one, but to be a 60+ point guy.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I do enjoy the irony of people who say our stars are over-paid, not only fantasizing about over-paying our depth players, but giving us draft picks in order to do so. Just so we can take a slight loss on their trade value. Boy, they're sure showing us!

If at the trade deadline, we asked for a 1st rounder for either guy, they’d bash us for “typical Leaf fans lol!” and claim they are worth a 2nd at best.

Yet now, they want to overpay them, AND give us the compensation.

It’s funny.

They also want to offer sheet Marner at an overpayment, likely over 11M, while giving Toronto 4 first rounders, and give them the cap space to sign a replacement, or use the money towards defence.

Too busy seeing blood in the water to realize they are swimming into a net.

With offer-sheets, and the reason they never happen, is because you need to fairly significantly overpay the player, and give up as much value as you’d generally would in order to get the player.

You’re better off perhaps paying a little bit more value via trade in order to sign a more reasonable contract.

Reactions: Kelly

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Can a Leafs fan that believes they would match this offer, please explain to me how they fit Kap under the cap?

Rules:
Do not mention Zaitsev or Marleau.

I'm genuinely curious. Not trolling.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Can a Leafs fan that believes they would match this offer, please explain to me how they fit Kap under the cap?

Rules:

No, I dont think they would.

But I think Kapanen will be traded by the draft if he isn't signed, making it a none issue

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

do you not know that this was his FIRST full NHL season?? ...not to mention he played on all lines at one point or another, and had PK time not PP time.
Kap exceeded expectations.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
do you not know that this was his FIRST full NHL season?? ...not to mention he played on all lines at one point or another, and had PK time not PP time.
Kap exceeded expectations.

By all means go and overpay him. Negotiations are there for a reason. 4 million for a forward with only one year of track record is stupid because you have no idea what he’ll be next year. Take a gamble by all means but Toronto can’t afford to gamble having a meh 4 million dollar player

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
By all means go and overpay him. Negotiations are there for a reason. 4 million for a forward with only one year of track record is stupid because you have no idea what he’ll be next year. Take a gamble by all means but Toronto can’t afford to gamble having a meh 4 million dollar player

at 4 million i trade him... not to say he wouldnt make that deal look cheap in a few years, but,
I think he should get a contract similar to what Hyman got, and if he wants more, he is trade bait.

it will not be an offer sheet though, they just dont happen. he will be a Leaf, or he will be traded.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Rules:

I can understand Marleau, but Nikita Zaitsev is movable if needed. It may cost the Leafs an asset, but not that far-fetched. In fact, it's been reported that he was nearly moved around the deadline and there is interest in him (Chris Johnston, SN)

But in a bind and to follow "rules"? We can trade Kadri and use Nylander as a center, or trade Johnsson to keep Kapanen or trade Kapanen to keep Johnsson, or in an extreme scenario, trade Nylander, or Marner.

However, if some team wants to sign Kapanen at 4M+, then that's fine. We'll take the draft pick. We have a couple wingers coming up. That said, it doesn't make sense for a team to overpay Kapanen on the offer-sheet. It makes sense to work out an actual trade with Toronto, and sign him to a reasonable contract after the fact. That's why offer sheets don't happen. Because you need to overpay players to get them, and you are still giving up assets.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Or

You offer sheet him 4 million for 4 years and you possibly get him, and he ends up being a 50-60 point guy for the few years.

You talk like there is only 1 outcome. Obviously if any team OS him, it's because they believe he will be a 40+ point guy. Just like you guys gave Nylander 6.9 million for a reason. Not to have a season like this one, but to be a 60+ point guy.

It depends on the term with either of Kapanen or Johnsson.

If it's a 4-5 year 4 million dollar deal, I think the leafs match it, since it could be a nice long term deal.

If it's 3 years or less, they probably walk from it since his deal would be up (he'd be a RFA with arb rights in 2022 when Rielly needs a new deal - think 10+ million

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
Leafs would absolutely match $4m for Kapanen, especially if there's any term on the deal at all. If they matched that they could trade him for way more than a second within 15 minutes. You'd need to be getting up into the $5m or $6m range to really give the Leafs trouble. Even then, they are probably better off matching and then trading that new contract. As a young player with a ton of speed and goalscoring ability he has a lot of value.
Except they can't that's not how it works. You can't trade him for 1 year

I agree with above poster you match the deal if the term is 3-4 years. If it's two years that is where the problems come into play. Being stuck with arb eligible RFA could be a big problem

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I could see the Canes being interested depending on how much Aho gets paid and what Kapanen is looking for. We could probably do a better deal than what the Leafs would get if someone signs him to an offer sheet, like one of our early 2nds (maybe even our 1st which won't be a lot better but looks better on paper) and a prospect like McKeown/Saarela/Kuokkanen. Doubt we offer sheet him ourselves though, but if we did the Leafs would only get a late 2nd most likely.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I could see the Canes being interested depending on how much Aho gets paid and what Kapanen is looking for. We could probably do a better deal than what the Leafs would get if someone signs him to an offer sheet, like one of our early 2nds (maybe even our 1st which won't be a lot better but looks better on paper) and a prospect like McKeown/Saarela/Kuokkanen. Doubt we offer sheet him ourselves though, but if we did the Leafs would only get a late 2nd most likely.

A deal of Saarela/Kuokkanen/TVR + Car 1st/Buf 2nd/Nyr 2nd for Kapanen makes a boat load of sense for both teams

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Rules:

Yes Kessel's caphit is included and no, I don't think Marner will get 10M+

89e3ad2b3db94d81a0b097056c3b0fcf.png

Reactions: KevinRedkey

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Yes Kessel's caphit is included and no, I don't think Marner will get 10M+

89e3ad2b3db94d81a0b097056c3b0fcf.png

Brown isn't on there but he's a positive value player, so I assume in this case they just shipped him off for picks/futures. This seems reasonable - well done!

I personally believe Marner gets a little more, but there's still a tiny bit of wiggle room here, so it doesn't fall apart.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Brown isn't on there but he's a positive value player, so I assume in this case they just shipped him off for picks/futures. This seems reasonable - well done!

I personally believe Marner gets a little more, but there's still a tiny bit of wiggle room here, so it doesn't fall apart.

Kadri traded for picks also, I would prefer not to go this route. That team I posted is not better than 2018-2019 Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad