Proposal: Kapanen + for Braun

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Kapanen's biggest problem has been getting top-9 minutes. Maybe that will change this season. I think be has lots of upside.

The Sharks' 3rd pairing would be a huge question mark without Braun for a team in "win now" mode. I have zero interest in Carrick - he's a fringe NHL player whose presence wouldn't erase that question mark.

No deal.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Kapanen's biggest problem has been getting top-9 minutes. Maybe that will change this season. I think be has lots of upside.

The Sharks' 3rd pairing would be a huge question mark without Braun for a team in "win now" mode. I have zero interest in Carrick - he's a fringe NHL player whose presence wouldn't erase that question mark.

No deal.
How would the Sharks 3rd pair be a question mark without Braun? Their third pair wasn’t a question mark last season without Braun and Carrick/Heed are upgrades on Demelo.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks do not want Kapanen, Carrick, Leivo, Brown, Johnsson, or Hyman. At all. They have no interest in any of those players; they already have way too many bottom-6 forwards.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
LOL. Yes I do know what it means.

He's a garbage AHL player who makes 1.3 million a year. Toronto would have to add a 2nd round pick to Carrick, to get a 3rd rounder back.

He's crap.

You’re way off base with that one....he’s not a top 6 defenceman on a contender but the kid is servicable.

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I was wondering why I don't remember him playing for the Sharks. Turns out, he never did.

Also, Kapanen is the Leafs version of Justin Bailey.

Coincidentally, Korolyuk (who was included in the Malakhov deal) never played a game for the Devils either. in my opinion, he was one of the most electrifying Sharks in franchise history.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
How would the Sharks 3rd pair be a question mark without Braun? Their third pair wasn’t a question mark last season without Braun and Carrick/Heed are upgrades on Demelo.
Whoever would replace Braun makes the 3rd pairing a question mark.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
would you trade us one of your best prospects for Ron Hainsey?

Not exactly a good comparison since Hainsey is a 35+ contract and Braun has an extra year at a good rate for a top four d-man. Don't get me wrong, Hainsey is good as well but they're not the same. Kapanen at this point doesn't hold much value in the trade market because he's 22 and still hasn't established himself as a legitimate NHL'er. Justin Braun has significantly more value than him and the Sharks wouldn't want him anyway because we have a surplus of wingers as it stands now. You'd have a better shot selling the Sharks on SDA or Stotts than Kapanen.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Kapanen is not a send off... He's an important player on our team and he is young with tons more upside.

Really??? Cause Leafs fans have been saying this for 3 years. When does it stop being "potential" and become "the player he actually is"???

Lap is nothing special, he's an average to below average middle 6 forward. Chances are that he's never any better than Rafle and right now you are saying "who"??? That's my point.

Reactions: pmwlker

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Not exactly a good comparison since Hainsey is a 35+ contract and Braun has an extra year at a good rate for a top four d-man. Don't get me wrong, Hainsey is good as well but they're not the same. Kapanen at this point doesn't hold much value in the trade market because he's 22 and still hasn't established himself as a legitimate NHL'er. Justin Braun has significantly more value than him and the Sharks wouldn't want him anyway because we have a surplus of wingers as it stands now. You'd have a better shot selling the Sharks on SDA or Stotts than Kapanen.
First things first, I’m not selling the sharks anything. I’d happily take Braun but there’s not a chance in hell we’d offer Kapanen for him.
As far as the comparison between Hainsey and Braun goes, I was merely making a point using a relatively close comparable.
Lastly, your assertion, and the opinion that a few others on here seem to share with regards to Kapanen’s value, or lack there of...
You’re all nuts! He’s 22!!! FFS

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
First things first, I’m not selling the sharks anything. I’d happily take Braun but there’s not a chance in hell we’d offer Kapanen for him.
As far as the comparison between Hainsey and Braun goes, I was merely making a point using a relatively close comparable.
Lastly, your assertion, and the opinion that a few others on here seem to share with regards to Kapanen’s value, or lack there of...
You’re all nuts! He’s 22!!! FFS

That's great that you wouldn't offer Kapanen for him because the Sharks wouldn't want him. He's nothing special and the Sharks already have an abundance of wingers that Kapanen wouldn't beat out. And no, Hainsey is not a relatively close comparable because Braun is better, younger, and not on a contract that you're forced to carry the hit no matter what happens. The Sharks had someone in their history similar to Kapanen named Lukas Kaspar. I'm not saying Kapanen will end up like him but a lot of guys do end up like him and he's getting really close especially if he doesn't make something of himself this year.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Braun for Nylander straight up, who says no? Nylander is not a team player and wont take a cheap deal therefore his value is negative.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Braun could land Carrick one on one, and if so, no more than that! He is just an average defencemen, nothing special, while Kapanen is still a decent prospect.

So by your logic, to you Braun is only worth a conditional 7th that could be a 6th. It is highly unlikely that any GM in the NHL would agree with that assessment. Even if Braun is criticized by Sharks fans for being overmatched in top shutdown minutes doesn't mean that he sucks and isn't significantly more valuable than that.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So by your logic, to you Braun is only worth a conditional 7th that could be a 6th. It is highly unlikely that any GM in the NHL would agree with that assessment. Even if Braun is criticized by Sharks fans for being overmatched in top shutdown minutes doesn't mean that he sucks and isn't significantly more valuable than that.

Where did I say or are you getting conditional 6th or 7th from? The point is, that Braun looks better than he really is, because the Sharks are a good team. If he for example played on the Wings, he would not really be much better than Jonathan Ericsson. Braun in the NHL today is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd plus a marginal prospect, but Kapanen right now appears to be better than marginal.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Where did I say or are you getting conditional 6th or 7th from? The point is, that Braun looks better than he really is, because the Sharks are a good team. If he for example played on the Wings, he would not really be much better than Jonathan Ericsson. Braun in the NHL today is probably worth a 2nd or 3rd plus a marginal prospect, but Kapanen right now appears to be better than marginal.

When you said Carrick could land Braun one on one and instead Carrick went for that conditional draft pick. There is no way to show that Braun looks better than he really is. If the Sharks do move Braun, it's not likely to be to a team that is losing like the Wings. They have no reason to trade for him. A good team with good players getting a good player like Braun will contribute like he has on this team. Ericsson has been on some good Red Wings teams and never produced what Braun does on average. There's nothing about Kapanen that shows that he's better than marginal.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Goldobin was drafted 5 spots after Kapanen and has produced at a similar rate in the AHL and was traded along with a conditional 4th round pick for Jannik freaking Hansen at the trade deadline. I think you are overvaluing Kapanen a bit or undervaluing Braun (more likely).

Again, just because Sharks fans hammer Braun doesn't mean he is bad. It just means he isn't able to play a top 2 role getting absolutely buried with d zone starts against a teams best players every night like he used to. He's still a legit top 4 that can chip in some offense and would be a solid upgrade on Toronto.

We aren't good trade partners, it's ok. You don't need to force it

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Really??? Cause Leafs fans have been saying this for 3 years. When does it stop being "potential" and become "the player he actually is"???

Lap is nothing special, he's an average to below average middle 6 forward. Chances are that he's never any better than Rafle and right now you are saying "who"??? That's my point.

That's simply not true. He's been developing in the AHL until this season. He got called up for 4th line duty last few years he has yet to start the season with the team.

He turned 22 like 2 months ago. How can you say he's "the player he actually is" when he hasn't even had a chance yet and he's barely 22 years old. Ridiculous.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Goldobin was drafted 5 spots after Kapanen and has produced at a similar rate in the AHL and was traded along with a conditional 4th round pick for Jannik freaking Hansen at the trade deadline. I think you are overvaluing Kapanen a bit or undervaluing Braun (more likely).

Again, just because Sharks fans hammer Braun doesn't mean he is bad. It just means he isn't able to play a top 2 role getting absolutely buried with d zone starts against a teams best players every night like he used to. He's still a legit top 4 that can chip in some offense and would be a solid upgrade on Toronto.

We aren't good trade partners, it's ok. You don't need to force it

I'm not trying to force any trade, I am a Wings fan, not a Leafs fan, simply think Braun is being overrated just a bit from some.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not trying to force any trade, I am a Wings fan, not a Leafs fan, simply think Braun is being overrated just a bit from some.

It's probably more like you're not keeping up on what the value of players like Braun actually is.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
It's probably more like you're not keeping up on what the value of players like Braun actually is.
These Sharks fans seem bitter with our Leafs for some strange reason...
I wonder what that’s about, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad