Kansas City still looking for team?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
If it used the same formula as leafs than yes... Corps to buy just about every seat in the joint and have to commit for life.. their first born being at stake if they renig.

Corps get season seats/boxes due to the Maple Leafs brand.. not NHL hockey per se.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
If another US-based team needs to be relocated sometime within the next couple of years, that team is unlikely to go to Quebec City. It would be too soon, after just having one US-based team relocated to Canada for the League to want to do it again. It just wouldn't look good for hockey in the US.

The PR/message aspect may be a factor but I disagree that it would be the most important one. At least as important would be what type of uncertainty the NHL wants to remain with --

KC: short-, medium- and maybe long-term uncertainty in terms of fan interest (not an opinion, there is uncertainty)
QC: medium- and long-term uncertainty about QC contributing to league-wide revenues (i.e. financial viability if the Canadian dollar ever went back to the depths it was in before, potential loss of revenues for the Habs, total revenues for the NHL, etc.)

In that regard, how the league came to the Winnipeg relocation decision is relevant. If the league decided that "fan uncertainty" had to be a thing of the past (because of issues in Florida, Columbus, of course Phoenix, maybe others) then QC would definitely have the inside track. If, on the other hand, they thought a "small" stabilization action was needed, then the move to Winnipeg might be enough to make the league ready to keep pursuing the "grow the game" course they'd been on for 15 years. As a fellow armchair BOG member I have a hard time interpreting the league's comments to see what course of action they're leaning towards.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
In that regard, how the league came to the Winnipeg relocation decision is relevant. If the league decided that "fan uncertainty" had to be a thing of the past (because of issues in Florida, Columbus, of course Phoenix, maybe others) then QC would definitely have the inside track. If, on the other hand, they thought a "small" stabilization action was needed, then the move to Winnipeg might be enough to make the league ready to keep pursuing the "grow the game" course they'd been on for 15 years. As a fellow armchair BOG member I have a hard time interpreting the league's comments to see what course of action they're leaning towards.
The NHL's hand was forced by the fact that ASG essentially ran the Thrashers out of town, and the NHL had to find a landing spot NOW. Winnipeg was the only location with an acceptable modern arena, a deep-pocketed ownership group, as well as a known fanbase. KC didn't have an ownership group and doesn't appear interested. Two other options (Allen in Portland and Alexander in Houston) don't appear to be interested either. Where else in the US do you have an available, modern, NHL-sized arena, and an ownership group that wants an NHL team? Remember also that QC didn't even have a commitment for the new arena until after the Thrashers' sale.

Last edited:

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
The NHL's hand was forced by the fact that ASG essentially ran the Thrashers out of town, and the NHL had to find a landing spot NOW. Winnipeg was the only location with an acceptable modern arena, a deep-pocketed ownership group, as well as a known fanbase. KC didn't have an ownership group and doesn't appear interested. Two other options (Allen in Portland and Alexander in Houston) don't appear to be interested either. Where else in the US do you have an available, modern, NHL-sized arena, and an ownership group that wants an NHL team? Remember also that QC didn't even have a commitment for the new arena until after the Thrashers' sale.

But they have shown interest at varying times. Apparently Allen even offerred to take the Coyotes at one time a few years before things really got out hand there (don't have the link, sorry). But the point being, I don't think they're necessarily deadends; the League in a desperate situation could make either of them an attractive offer or they themselves might just decide to step up again.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
I'll continue to make a pitch for Houston.

Houston has the NFL, NBA, MLB, and MLS.

We also have a great past history with the WHA Houston Aeros, and an NHL ready arena seating almost 18K.

We should get first dibs.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

We also have a great past history with the WHA Houston Aeros, and an NHL ready arena seating almost 18K.

In part, I don't understand your reasoning... It's as if you're saying that the more major sports a city has, the better choice it would be for the NHL. That seems assbackwards to me. I know it could be viewed as a city that supports sports, but it's also a city that would have lots of competition for the sports $.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Remember all those people saying bettman and the league were stupid for not allowing JB to move a team to hamilton? Well it doesn't look so bad right now does it? RIM is falling on hard times.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
Remember all those people saying bettman and the league were stupid for not allowing JB to move a team to hamilton? Well it doesn't look so bad right now does it? RIM is falling on hard times.

off topic, but Balsillie would make money off the team so it's irrelevant.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
In part, I don't understand your reasoning... It's as if you're saying that the more major sports a city has, the better choice it would be for the NHL. That seems assbackwards to me. I know it could be viewed as a city that supports sports, but it's also a city that would have lots of competition for the sports $.

i think what he's saying it's the largerst market without a team, a city who has supported hockey, it seems like a logical fit.....if there is an owner willing to support it.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Yes, they would sell out.

Not saying they wouldn't sell out (especially the first few years) but can they sustain the types of ticket pricing levels?

Anyway, JB has no business trying to buy a NHL team when his own company is in shambles.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011

In hindsight, the NHL wouldn't have had the messes in Dallas, Atlanta, Phoenix and Tampa. Fortunately, there was somebody willing to bail out all 4, albeit Phoenix was nixed.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
But they have shown interest at varying times. Apparently Allen even offerred to take the Coyotes at one time a few years before things really got out hand there (don't have the link, sorry).
That was actually the Penguins, and the NHL contacted him, not visa versa. But that was so "last century".

Note also that Les Alexander in Houston...
  • is now in his late 60's
  • is no longer a billionaire (recession and divorce)
The way the Houston arena lease is worded, Alexander would basically have to sell the rights to someone else before they could think about applying for a franchise there.

But the point being, I don't think they're necessarily deadends; the League in a desperate situation could make either of them an attractive offer or they themselves might just decide to step up again.
I grew up in Winnipeg, and wish it well, but was very surprised that Winnipeg, with a 15,000 seat arena was even in consideration for the Thrashers. So yes, the NHL probably is desparate. I think that if Alexander or Allen had said they wanted the Thrashers for next year, they would've gotten them rather than Winnipeg.

The best hope is that the sudden onset of the Atlanta situation meant that the Houston and Portland arenas couldn't clear 45 dates for 2011-2012. Regardless of how Bettman feels about moving teams to Canada, I'm sure that Detroit and Columbus would much rather have Phoenix go to Houston or Kansas City or Portland, versus Quebec.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

It will never be as good as it was in the 80's and early 90's again.

Why do you say that? I don't think QC would have invested in an arena without a backroom promise of a future team.

You may see "Canadiens vs Nordiques - Part Deux" :naughty: sooner than you think.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I'm all for a team in KC although I'd prefer seattle. I think we have more than enough teams in Canada. Only have 30+ million people in this country (California is bigger) and not everyone is a sports fan.

So... Quebec City does not deserve a team because you say so???

So typical of a Leafs fan to look down on the support of everyone else.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MoreOrr said:
But they have shown interest at varying times. Apparently Allen even offerred to take the Coyotes at one time a few years before things really got out hand there (don't have the link, sorry).
That was actually the Penguins, and the NHL contacted him, not visa versa. But that was so "last century".

No. Allen did also have an offer on the table for the 'Yotes in 2001 when Burke sold them to Ellman.

Apparently Bettman rejected the deal, but the deal stayed on the table as a Plan B in case the sale to Ellman and the Glendale deal fell through.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ot-Done-Yet-Is-Paul-Allen-Still-A-Player.aspx
The $87M sale of the Coyotes, expected to be completed this week to Wayne Gretzky and Steve Ellman, "has been delayed again," according to Jay Greenberg of the N.Y. POST. Sources "close to Gretzky" said that he is "discouraged" by the delay after it "appeared the group had acquired a bank commitment to make up a $20[M] shortfall in the asking price." Gretzky: "It's been a tough situation for everyone involved, but the people in Phoenix have been very patient and this thing will come together." If the deal is not completed by mid-March, Coyotes Owner Richard Burke "will resume attempts to sell" the team to Trail Blazers/Seahawks Owner Paul Allen, who is likely to move the team to Portland (N.Y. POST, 2/5).

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/041900/pro_041900079.shtml
Bettman reportedly has been so determined to keep the franchise in Arizona that he rejected a proposal by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, owner of the NBA's Portland Trailblazers and the NFL's Seattle Seahawks, to buy the Coyotes and move the team to Portland.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton

Don't know about first dibs considering the next city to get a team will be through relocation but it definitely would be an option for an expansion franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad