Kansas City still looking for team?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/print-edition/2011/04/22/kansas-city-remains-in-hunt-for.html

Much work is going on behind the scenes, and the area needs to stay patient and keep cultivating interest in hockey, said Paul McGannon, president of NHL21, a private, 800-member organization devoted to bringing the NHL to Kansas City in the 21st century.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Much work is going on behind the scenes, and the area needs to stay patient and keep cultivating interest in hockey, said Paul McGannon, president of NHL21, a private, 800-member organization devoted to bringing the NHL to Kansas City in the 21st century.

Well, at least they're accepting a relatively long timetable for their goals.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
KC should take a number. I'd rather Winnipeg and Quebec get their teams back first. A shame Hartford will never see the NHL again, too

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
KC should take a number. I'd rather Winnipeg and Quebec get their teams back first. A shame Hartford will never see the NHL again, too
You know full well Bettman would rather that than Canada.`

Last edited:

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Which is why I hate Bettman. He'd rather put a team in a cornfield with people who'd rather watch paint dry than in a small city full of rabid fans. The direction the nhl has taken in the last 15 years= nosedive.

It will never be as good as it was in the 80's and early 90's again. Thankfully, I have those memories. Regretfully, I have those memories and can see the nosedive things have taken. Oh well, such is life.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Which is why I hate Bettman. He'd rather put a team in a cornfield with people who'd rather watch paint dry than in a small city full of rabid fans. The direction the nhl has taken in the last 15 years= nosedive.

It will never be as good as it was in the 80's and early 90's again. Thankfully, I have those memories. Regretfully, I have those memories and can see the nosedive things have taken. Oh well, such is life.
Truthfully. The NHL wants to bee seen as big league and Winnipeg and QC won't help them. Toronto Might.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
The NHL is Big League already. Look at value of many teams and the player salaries. And the average cost of tickets.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Which has 2.1 million people. 2.6 within 45 minutes. Winnioeg won't draw in the US, as all the Canadian teams don't

Toronto and Montreal have no problems drawing in the U.S. - are they not being counted as Canadian teams?

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Which has 2.1 million people. 2.6 within 45 minutes. Winnioeg won't draw in the US, as all the Canadian teams don't

you know, I don't buy my season tickets based on who the Pens play. I buy them because I want to see my team play. If a team has to rely on the draw to get fans in the seats, then perhaps you shouldn't go into that area in the first place....

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
you know, I don't buy my season tickets based on who the Pens play. I buy them because I want to see my team play. If a team has to rely on the draw to get fans in the seats, then perhaps you shouldn't go into that area in the first place....

We are in minority.

There are only a handful of sports teams in America that can be abysmal and still draw fairly well, in all leagues. Not just the NHL.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So I guess Pittsburgh is not a good market then. Because when they had no talent the market did not draw at all.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Kansas City isn't exactly a great market. I mean it's not that great a market for hockey to begin with and then you already have the Chiefs and the Royals, the latter being perpetually around the bottom of baseball attendance and revenue figures, essentially a team that would have long moved if not for generous MLB revenue-sharing.

This seems to be purely driven by the need to fill an arena with a tenant.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There are only a handful of sports teams in America that can be abysmal and still draw fairly well, in all leagues. Not just the NHL.

This is true. The Kansas City Scouts were drawing 6000-8000 per game during there 2yrs playing there back in the mid-70's, winning less than 30 games out of app. 160+. Instant death for any team, let alone an expansion franchise brand new to the market. So we should base our judgment on that sorry episode?. Dont think so. People also point to the lackluster attendance for the Islanders' exhibition games. Hello?. "Exhibition?". The New York Islanders?. Like, who cares?. You have Don Cherry spouting off on HNIC that "Kansas City is a hockey graveyard", picked up & replayed over & over again, so I guess it must be true huh?.

Kansas City Kansas & Kansas City Missouri has a population of 2.5+M, a largish & impressive array of corporate head and sattelite offices; a now 4 year old stunningly beautiful state of the art arena in its downtown core and arena managers who know what their doing. The citys ranked 6 or 7 as "Best Place to Live" in America; has an excellent LRT system, great demographics. Pittsburgh very nearly moved there; Boots' surely wouldve' tried it on with the Predators had he not gotten caught; Charles Wang may yet relo the Islanders to KC if Lighthouse craters & he cant do a deal in Brooklyn; while teams like the Panthers & Coyotes may yet wind up playing out of the Sprint if an ownership group shows up with the bread & brass to make a go of it. Dont count them out by a longshot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad