Kansas City still looking for team?

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Wanted to bring this to the proper thread, and not hi-jack the Phoenix thread.

What I had posted:

And reply:

So, the article is 4 years old - doesn't mean it doesn't apply anymore. That offer could very well still be on the table, for the next interested party.

With the prospect of re-alignment coming up, and attempting to balance the East vs. West, the NHL will want to try and keep teams in the West - and KC fits that.

Well again, as you say, it is another option to help the League avoid relocating two US-based teams in a row to Canada. I'm still far from convinced that if the Coyotes have to be relocated that they will end up in Quebec City.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
So, the article is 4 years old - doesn't mean it doesn't apply anymore. That offer could very well still be on the table, for the next interested party.
That article is almost 5 years old (January 4, 2007). The economy was different back then, and Sylvester James wasn't the Mayor. I believe the city of KC gets a cut of the profits at Sprint Center. Absolutely the last thing the city would want, especially in today's economy, is to have Sprint Center pass up concert+WWE+tractor_pull+MMA revenues, and have somebody play rent-free 45 dates per year, PLUS TAKE A CUT OF OTHER EVENT REVENUE. Every penny of revenue that the city gives up means one more penny the taxpayers will have to pay. This puts politicians in a spot.

With the prospect of re-alignment coming up, and attempting to balance the East vs. West, the NHL will want to try and keep teams in the West - and KC fits that.
I agree that the NHL is knocking on doors in KC/Houston/Portland. But the answer is the same in each case...

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/sports/could-nhl-team-from-phoenix-choose-kc-for-relcation?

Paul McGannon is the president of NHL 21, the Kansas City grass-roots organization that has been trying to bring an NHL franchise to town. McGannon told NBC Action News on Tuesday there is a 50-50 chance Kansas City could land the Coyotes.
McGannon says the top two destinations for the Coyotes would be Quebec City and Kansas City. He said Kansas City has an advantage because of the Sprint Center. Quebec City currently does not have an arena.
The NHL 21 president said Kansas City still needs to find practice ice near the Sprint Center for a possible NHL team. He also said a potential owner for an NHL team still needs to be indentified for the metro.
McGannon also says Kansas City’s affection for hockey is growing. The Missouri Mavericks, an independent league hockey team that plays at the Independence Events Center, has sold out their first three games. More than 17,000 fans packed the exhibition game between Pittsburgh and Los Angeles last month at the Sprint Center. It was the largest crowd ever to watch a hockey game in Kansas City.
We could learn more about Kansas City's chances to land the Coyotes in December. That's when the NHL Board of Governors are meeting in Pebble Beach, Calif. They are expected to discuss relocation options for Phoenix

Read more: http://www.nbcactionnews.com/dpp/sp...hoenix-choose-kc-for-relcation?#ixzz1eAt0gO4b

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
News article about the situation in Phoenix and a possible relocation to Kansas City: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-phoenix-coyotes-moving-soon-yes-but-to-kansas-city-i-dont-think-so/

From the article:

Ask about the arrival of a new NHL team in Kansas City last September, Tim Leiweke, president of AEG said: “We’re fine like this, we’re probably making more money without a team, and the city too. Right now there is not an urgency," Leiweke added. “This building is doing phenomenal. When we began this process, if we would have known this building could stand on its own two feet and be one of the top five buildings (for concerts and family shows) without an anchor tenant, we would have been going around telling people, ‘If there is an anchor tenant that makes sense, we’ll get it, but we don’t need it.’â€

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
News article about the situation in Phoenix and a possible relocation to Kansas City: http://thehockeywriters.com/the-phoenix-coyotes-moving-soon-yes-but-to-kansas-city-i-dont-think-so/

Weak journalism by the author, or perhaps a bad choice to describe it as covering the possibility of an NHL relocation to Kansas City.
Ask about the arrival of a new NHL team in Kansas City last September, Tim Leiweke, president of AEG said...

Could at least cite some somebody on KC in the five months since that statement by Leiweke. My cynical side sees a pro Quebec City piece dressed up as not saying anything new about Kansas City.

Anyone who wants to discuss Kansas City as an NHL market, this is the thread. If you want to talk Quebec we have another thread on the forum for that.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
Weak journalism by the author, or perhaps a bad choice to describe it as covering the possibility of an NHL relocation to Kansas City.

Could at least cite some somebody on KC in the five months since that statement by Leiweke. My cynical side sees a pro Quebec City piece dressed up as not saying anything new about Kansas City.

Anyone who wants to discuss Kansas City as an NHL market, this is the thread. If you want to talk Quebec we have another thread on the forum for that.

Maybe that's because nobody from Kansas City said anything about the NHL since last September!

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Pretty useless article, waste of bandwidth.
Someone from Quebec writing about why Kansas City won't be getting a team any time soon - any reason for this? No one from the NHL, even when they open up slightly about a potential relocation, mentions KC as an option anymore.
The smoke is coming from Seattle and Quebec - no where else.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Nice arena, no potential owners, so not gonna happen. When does Boots get out of jail? Then they'll finally have an owner that wants to put a team in KC. Too bad Lieweke can't own two teams as all non-CFL leagues prohibit that kind of thing.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I thought I would give this thread a bit of a bump.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed but I was wondering if the Missouri Mavericks (CHL) and Russell Stover Midget program were making any difference in the potential move of an NHL franchise to KC. I don't know much about the Stover program but it seems to be doing well and cranking out players and coaches for different organizations such as NCAA programs.

Does any of this make a difference? Does it at least help build a base for a major league team?

Just wondering...

Northender

Feb 11, 2012
I thought I would give this thread a bit of a bump.

I'm not sure if it's been discussed but I was wondering if the Missouri Mavericks (CHL) and Russell Stover Midget program were making any difference in the potential move of an NHL franchise to KC. I don't know much about the Stover program but it seems to be doing well and cranking out players and coaches for different organizations such as NCAA programs.

Does any of this make a difference? Does it at least help build a base for a major league team?

Just wondering...

GB is under strict orders from his boss Philip Anschutz/AEG to get a team for his rink in Kansas City, regardless of fan interest, grass roots interest in hockey, sponsors, etc. GB just hasn't been able to find a sucker who is dumb enough yet.

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum
GB is under strict orders from his boss Philip Anschutz/AEG to get a team for his rink in Kansas City, regardless of fan interest, grass roots interest in hockey, sponsors, etc. GB just hasn't been able to find a sucker who is dumb enough yet.

I'd love to see that document! Sharesies please!

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary

This returns us to the original question: Is it really all that dumb to put a team in Kansas City? If it builds on the base that seems to be growing there a new team may actually work. It looks like that base could even include a bunch of the IHL's Kansas City Blades who still live and coach in the city.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

ummm..... source, please? Everything I've heard on the subject is that AEG would prefer if Kansas City didn't get an NHL or NBA team, as they're bringing in a major profit off the Sprint Center without a team blocking out dates as it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->