Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Thats pretty scary because he looks like one of the most aware and intelligent players on the ice.
Ironically, that was the question. Has not been a defenseman for a long time, not a fantastic showing in college, NHL intelligence.....

It is early in the term, but he is clearly acing the early exams.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Miller has been a little off the last few imo. Not as consistent making quick, smart moves with the puck. Early on it was every touch was really nifty and effective now it’s like 50/50. Hope he gets back to that

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is there any chance Schneider plays with us this year?

There's a chance. His WHL team still hasn't been approved to play games yet. If they figure that out, then he will go back, and won't be able to play in the AHL/NHL until that season is over. If they don't, he'll spend the year in the AHL and can be called up at any time.

If the WHL doesn't get going and the Rangers are still playing after the Wolfpack are done, maybe they add Schneider to the taxi squad.

Edit: Schneider isn't under NHL contract, so he would have to sign a contract first. The Rangers probably don't want to waste year of his ELC, so they probably won't go that route.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Miller has been a little off the last few imo. Not as consistent making quick, smart moves with the puck. Early on it was every touch was really nifty and effective now it’s like 50/50. Hope he gets back to that
The adrenaline of playing your first NHL games has tempered down. Dude isn't going to look Norris level all season. I think he's looked just fine the last few games. Still looks like the 2nd best D (if not player) on the team out there. What more do you want?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The adrenaline of playing your first NHL games has tempered down. Dude isn't going to look Norris level all season. I think he's looked just fine the last few games. Still looks like the 2nd best D (if not player) on the team out there. What more do you want?
Looking as good as he looked the first few games is what I want. I think he’s capable of it, we saw him do it. I don’t think he was even arguably the second best player out there the last few games but that’s just me.

I’m still very excited about him, just saying there’s been a noticeable fall off - which isn’t unexpected for a rookie - and hoping it’s short lived.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Looking as good as he looked the first few games is what I want. I think he’s capable of it, we saw him do it. I don’t think he was even arguably the second best player out there the last few games but that’s just me.

I’m still very excited about him, just saying there’s been a noticeable fall off - which isn’t unexpected for a rookie - and hoping it’s short lived.

I disagree. I think he has still looked fantastic. Does he make the occasional mistake out there? Yes. But that was always going to be expected. Dude literally saved a goal last night through pure will and could have had a few points. Not to mention the last two games the rangers have rotated 5D for large chunks of the game and he still looks great.

If you think there is a noticeable drop off, I don't know what to tell you.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
He's looked great to amazing in the NZ and OZ, and much better than I expected in the DZ but still plenty of work to do. He's put his teamates in some tough positions with poor short passes under pressure and has missed locking up his check's stick in front of the net a few times but those are very 'pro-style adjustment' mistakes which he'll adjust to as the season continues. He's looked not quite as good the past few games too as teams are watching tape on him and really trying to pressure him, now it's his turn to watch tape and adjust back.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
It's also worth noting that the cat is out of the bag in regards to his talent around the division. Coaches scouting other teams is way more focused this season, i'm sure after the Pens watched the tape on that first game they had a better idea on how to play against his frame and toolsets.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

i think your expectations are a little too high. Most people didnt even to expect him to play in the NHL this season let alone start the season with the team. And then having him play at the level he is is just remarkable.

he ia a rookie, playing like a young vet. He ia going to have mistakes. That is fine. Even at this “lower” level of play, he is exceeding expectations.

personally is he plays at this “lower” level the rest of the season, i would still be ecstatic bc he is playing at a top 4 level. Which again is much quicker than anyone anticipated.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
After watching him in the WJC I don't think that would be a good decision. He played well but I don't see him being ready just yet. I think he needs to follow the KeAndre time frame.
This surprises me. His WJC performance was spot on and he is a much better skater than i thought based on the description of a Dan Girardi, stay at home type. He can move and has pretty good offensive instincts. I wouldn't waste a year of his ELC this year, but he appears physically ready to play at the NHL level.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It's also worth noting that the cat is out of the bag in regards to his talent around the division. Coaches scouting other teams is way more focused this season, i'm sure after the Pens watched the tape on that first game they had a better idea on how to play against his frame and toolsets.
one thing ive noticed is he kinda goes to retrieve the puck in the dzone with one hand on the stick at times. a quick forechecker has been able to almost surprise him and win the puck from him since hes going in "soft." not a long term thing imo. he will learn quick enough that even those hes bigger and faster than almost everyone, hes not much bigger and faster than an NHL player.

Reactions: egelband and romba

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
This surprises me. His WJC performance was spot on and he is a much better skater than i thought based on the description of a Dan Girardi, stay at home type. He can move and has pretty good offensive instincts. I wouldn't waste a year of his ELC this year, but he appears physically ready to play at the NHL level.

Could be maybe do it? Yes maybe. Overall I think defenseman take longer to develop and only the top top guys can make the immediate jump.

Also what would Quinn do with him? He would probably not play very much and get benched/ scratched for mistakes.

Give him a year or 2 and he will be set up better to succeed.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Could be maybe do it? Yes maybe. Overall I think defenseman take longer to develop and only the top top guys can make the immediate jump.

Also what would Quinn do with him? He would probably not play very much and get benched/ scratched for mistakes.

Give him a year or 2 and he will be set up better to succeed.

I get that some people don't like Quinn, but why must every post become a rant about him? Has Quinn done any of what you suggest with Miller? No, he hasn't. So, you think maybe, just maybe, you are being unfair?

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
I get that some people don't like Quinn, but why must every post become a rant about him? Has Quinn done any of what you suggest with Miller? No, he hasn't. So, you think maybe, just maybe, you are being unfair?

What's he doing with Kakko and Laf who are closer in age?

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Exactly! Because everybody is exactly the same!

Not really sure what you mean. Taking out my Quinn comment. I don't think he is quite ready and he and team would be better served to give him a year or 2 to continue to develop. He is a physical defenseman, it's 1 thing in Juniors and another against men in the NHL. I really like him btw and glad we have him, I just want him to be able to succeed when he is here.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not really sure what you mean. Taking out my Quinn comment. I don't think he is quite ready and he and team would be better served to give him a year or 2 to continue to develop. He is a physical defenseman, it's 1 thing in Juniors and another against men in the NHL. I really like him btw and glad we have him, I just want him to be able to succeed when he is here.
Miller? He looks not ready to play so far? Are we talking about JT?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad