Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I love Miller’s raw tools. I really like his attitude and approach to the game. I have my reservations about his actual hockey instincts, especially as a defenseman. The saying you can’t teach size and athleticism has been parroted a few times in here. That’s true. Dylan McIlrath had that. Miller has more, but McIlrath was touted for that; I remember he was a volleyball player who moved very well for a big man. You also can’t teach defensive instincts and there’s a reason that guys like Jared Spurgeon can be successful NHL d-men. Guys like Kris Russell, to a lesser extent, but he’s had a long NHL career and Miller has a long way to go to match Russell in NHL games played or salary earned. The point is, all the size and athletic gifts are tantalizing. But hockey smarts are what set you apart. Guys like Neidermeyer and Lidstrom weren’t the biggest guys on the ice. Nor are Fox, Hughes, Makar, Girard, etc. I like Miller as a prospect but I don’t expect to see an NHL game out of him until late 20-21 as a possible call up, or more likely if he has a solid camp on 21-22. He’s extremely raw and I’m not sold that he has the key ingredient, even if the rest of the recipe looks great. I’m not saying he doesn’t. I’m just not entirely sold yet.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I love Miller’s raw tools. I really like his attitude and approach to the game. I have my reservations about his actual hockey instincts, especially as a defenseman. The saying you can’t teach size and athleticism has been parroted a few times in here. That’s true. Dylan McIlrath had that. Miller has more, but McIlrath was touted for that; I remember he was a volleyball player who moved very well for a big man. You also can’t teach defensive instincts and there’s a reason that guys like Jared Spurgeon can be successful NHL d-men. Guys like Kris Russell, to a lesser extent, but he’s had a long NHL career and Miller has a long way to go to match Russell in NHL games played or salary earned. The point is, all the size and athletic gifts are tantalizing. But hockey smarts are what set you apart. Guys like Neidermeyer and Lidstrom weren’t the biggest guys on the ice. Nor are Fox, Hughes, Makar, Girard, etc. I like Miller as a prospect but I don’t expect to see an NHL game out of him until late 20-21 as a possible call up, or more likely if he has a solid camp on 21-22. He’s extremely raw and I’m not sold that he has the key ingredient, even if the rest of the recipe looks great. I’m not saying he doesn’t. I’m just not entirely sold yet.

When people say this, all I hear is "He's slow, but him being big makes up for it"

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
When people say this, all I hear is "He's slow, but him being big makes up for it"

I tend to agree, but McIlrath was supposedly “athletically gifted” with “good footwork” and despite ostensibly being slow, “got around well” because of his athleticism and edges. As I said, Miller definitely has more athleticism. I wouldn’t necessarily be comparing the two by any means, but there is the fact that athletic gifts don’t get you all the way there. I hope Miller has the instincts and adaptability to be more.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I hope not, also.

They both appear to be players with all the required tools to be excellent players, but somehow it doesn't work as well as it should.

Miller has a higher ceiling than Skjei but it's by no means a guarantee he hits that ceiling. Defensively, Skjei at age 20 was probably better than Miller, with Miller obviously having the edge on offense. The transition from college to pro hockey is difficult and we will know more after next season in terms of where Miller will be. We all hope for him to hit his absolute ceiling, but if he tops out as a Skjei-caliber player, that's not bad. Late in the 1st, if you get a player who is a regular in the NHL, it's a good pick. Not great, but at least you get value

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I have a gut feeling Lundkvist will be better than Miller

I think they’re two different type players. I’m guessing from what i have read that Lundkvist is ahead of Miller. I think we see Lundkvist as a younger version of Fox. Both should fill out yet Miller will be huge if he fills out and his game will likely be different.

At 6’5 Miller is a tall drink of water and his COD, from what i saw live and understandably, he’s not as agile as a Lundkvist. Long stride and can pick up speed straight ahead. He’s tall yet not big like a Beukeboom. Has to fill out to be more physical yet not sure what type of offensive player he will be. A lot may depend on the shot.

nice to see what happens

Reactions: LokiDog

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

not really a crazy opinion as both are pretty evenly ranked as prospects. due to his physical size, miller's upside potential is probably higher but lundkvist is more advanced having played pro hockey against men already so he is more likely to reach his max potential.

both are studs and sign me up for any prospect comparison that comes from the positive angle of 'player A is better than player b' then the negative angle of 'player B is making it cause player A busted'

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Despite everyone always questioning Miller's hockey IQ and instincts they always to gloss over how good he is at shutting down plays in the neutral zone and denying zone entries.
It's an old fashioned and antiquated few to only look at how a player plays once they have to defend a cycle in their own zone...that's not the only defense there is. Miller has shown excellent instincts and hockey IQ when it comes to his neutral zone D and shutting down rushes etc.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

we need Miller to pan out more than we need Lundkvist though. We already have Fox and TDA. Our left side is GARBAGE. Plus we need size. But if they both pan out that would be nice, will soften the blow of when Kravtsov busts :cool:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
We should do our very best to avoid comparing Miller and Lundkvist just cause they were draft twins.

Lundkvist is pretty much ready for the NHL/AHL right now. But giving him another year to marinate is a great idea. Lundkvist is a very high IQ player with lots of sneaky good skills. Really great shot from the point, sneaks into offensive position, makes strong outlet passes, knows where to be in most situations. And has sneaky good vision. His base is solid -- he could already be an NHL contributor next season. But what he started to show this year in the SHL is more offensive flare. It's that last 10-15% of his game that if it continues to develop could be the difference between being Stralman and being something a bit more special. I dont love the Karlsson comparison because he's not nearly as flashy as EK and seems to be better/smarter in his own end. Even when Lundkvist was younger, he was a very intelligent, solid player. He just continues to develop which is making the Rangers look like geniuses but is more a testament to him.

Miller -- his strength and his straight ahead skating are just about as pro-ready. And in open ice he anticipates well. He has tremendous reach as well. But his situational recognition, his positioning, his reaction time in many d zone situations is not really pro level yet. Key is one of these kids that may not fully realize his potential until his mid-late twenties. What i mean is, his skill set is rare and special that if he were to fully maximize them and get to that all-star level, it won't be for another 5 years. I'm rooting really hard for him because he could be the difference between us being playoff regulars to being something truly special. Skjei never had the same offensive instincts as K'Andre has. I think Key can be a much smarter player than Sjkei as well. And Key's toolbox is better as well. I don;t love the comparison because Sjkei was basically at his developmental ceiling already when he arrived in the NHL. His game didn't really grow by leaps and bounds. It was more incremental and it often dipped. Whereas K'Andre is behind where Sjkei was when turning pro, but still has miles to go to develop. Miller, even if he's in the NHL is going to need to develop for years. We need supreme patience with him. COVID is only going to set him back as he's likely to miss some development time.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
COVID is only going to set him back as he's likely to miss some development time.

I wouldn't worry about it.

No one else is 'developing' either with everything shut down so he's on a level playing field. Plenty of time to enhance the athletic gifts he already has, grow further into his body and study films without the pressure of having to step in to anything.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
If we are talking just about value then him being Skjei would be fine. But if we really are depending on him to grow into a #1 Dman then he has a lot to learn and the standard is higher. He seems to have the tools to do it so it's going to come down to him and our development program.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
We should do our very best to avoid comparing Miller and Lundkvist just cause they were draft twins.

Lundkvist is pretty much ready for the NHL/AHL right now. But giving him another year to marinate is a great idea. Lundkvist is a very high IQ player with lots of sneaky good skills. Really great shot from the point, sneaks into offensive position, makes strong outlet passes, knows where to be in most situations. And has sneaky good vision. His base is solid -- he could already be an NHL contributor next season. But what he started to show this year in the SHL is more offensive flare. It's that last 10-15% of his game that if it continues to develop could be the difference between being Stralman and being something a bit more special. I dont love the Karlsson comparison because he's not nearly as flashy as EK and seems to be better/smarter in his own end. Even when Lundkvist was younger, he was a very intelligent, solid player. He just continues to develop which is making the Rangers look like geniuses but is more a testament to him.

Miller -- his strength and his straight ahead skating are just about as pro-ready. And in open ice he anticipates well. He has tremendous reach as well. But his situational recognition, his positioning, his reaction time in many d zone situations is not really pro level yet. Key is one of these kids that may not fully realize his potential until his mid-late twenties. What i mean is, his skill set is rare and special that if he were to fully maximize them and get to that all-star level, it won't be for another 5 years. I'm rooting really hard for him because he could be the difference between us being playoff regulars to being something truly special. Skjei never had the same offensive instincts as K'Andre has. I think Key can be a much smarter player than Sjkei as well. And Key's toolbox is better as well. I don;t love the comparison because Sjkei was basically at his developmental ceiling already when he arrived in the NHL. His game didn't really grow by leaps and bounds. It was more incremental and it often dipped. Whereas K'Andre is behind where Sjkei was when turning pro, but still has miles to go to develop. Miller, even if he's in the NHL is going to need to develop for years. We need supreme patience with him. COVID is only going to set him back as he's likely to miss some development time.
There’s probably no player in the organization who can benefit more from a professional position coach than a Special K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad