TBN: Kaleta hit on Richards discussion (Suspended 5 games)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Right, I should've explicitly called that out as well.

I just look at a lot of factors starting to work against Kaleta (injuries, his reputation, the need to potentially tone that down and hurt the physical part of his game). Not calling for him to get traded, it's just a shame that his effectiveness could be hurt by this unless he takes it up another notch in the clean-it-up department.
I think he's already toned it down the types of plays that were an issue. I see this as more of a freak accident and don't expect it to happen again.

See Kaleta's own comments about having referees coming up to him and telling him they've noticed him cleaning up his game.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I think he's already toned it down the types of plays that were an issue. I see this as more of a freak accident and don't expect it to happen again.

See Kaleta's own comments about having referees coming up to him and telling him they've noticed him cleaning up his game.

Yeah. I've gotta think that his latest suspension is a step backward in that progress, though. We'll see.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Kaleta, as fearless PKer and shotblocker, a guy who comes back hard and rarely if ever blows his checking assignment? Yes. He's got the physical game one wants in a 4th liner and can go pretty well in with other middleweight type fighters now. There is still a place on this team for someone like that. In fact, they could use more of some of what Pat does -- his energy, giving it his all, giving up his body to block shots, finishing his hits, commitment to defense.

That element yes, but we don't need another agitator, we have a 1-2 punch of league's most hated players. I'm good with that.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That element yes, but we don't need another agitator, we have a 1-2 punch of league's most hated players. I'm good with that.

I could use another. We are currently a team that lacks an identity. If they wanted to become the most ruthlessly pesky team to play against in the league, at least they would be something.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I played hockey my entire life, and that my friends is the definition of soft. :laugh: He literally barely touched him.

If you played hockey your "entire life", you would realize that when you are in that position you have the weight transferred to the front of your foot, as you are leaning in therefore, you, who have played hockey your entire life, would know that it takes very little to make someone fall over when you have your weight transferred in such a way.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

May, Ray, and Barnaby. Not the best hockey I've witnessed but certainly not boring.

If the end product was this bad but still entertaining it would be a different story. Bad and boring is a pitiful business model.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Man, I've watched that a hundred times now and I just cannot bring myself to fully blame Kaleta for that. 2 games it should have been, for a stupid play. 3 MAX. I'm NOT saying Richards dove, and whatever, call it blaming the victim if you want but it was SUCH a soft play from Richards. How does a person even go down that easily? Yes I've played hockey so don't bother asking. No I never played professional hockey but less than a lovetap to the back of a guy's hockey pants (it certainly wasn't a cross check "right in the numbers") doesn't knock you over 999/1000 times

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
If you played hockey your "entire life", you would realize that when you are in that position you have the weight transferred to the front of your foot, as you are leaning in therefore, you, who have played hockey your entire life, would know that it takes very little to make someone fall over when you have your weight transferred in such a way.

You would also realize that you don't put yourself in the position Richards put himself in, especially considering he looked at Kaleta and knew right where he was.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He should know where he is and know how to protect himself. And he wasn't really pursuing the puck, he was floating. He floated over to the puck, turned back and saw Kaleta, put himself in a vulnerable position by leaning, felt a nudge on his back and folded like a cheap chair, to take Andrew Peters' words.

Why don't you put on a pair of skates and try it out? Go and get a puck like Richards and every other hockey player including those who have played their entire life, see where your body leans and realize what it takes to fall forward, especially with Richards trying to retrieve the puck and no stick to lean on. A dumb play only equalled by the bleeding hearts who yearn for this wreckless player to get leniency. Leniency for Kaleta.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia

Maybe we should check with people who've played hockey their "entire life" to ask them which coach taught them to face the boards from four feet away with their hiney in the air like a :naughty:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Why don't you put on a pair of skates and try it out? Go and get a puck like Richards and every other hockey player including those who have played their entire life, see where your body leans and realize what it takes to fall forward, especially with Richards trying to retrieve the puck and no stick to lean on. A dumb play only equalled by the bleeding hearts who yearn for this wreckless player to get leniency. Leniency for Kaleta.
Come on, it also depends on the person. I'm strong on my skates and a lot less likely to fall on situations like that. A teammate of mine, whose 5x more talented, faster than me probably would.

Regardless, a lot of people here have played hockey so the whole "if you played..." argument is so ridiculous.

----

Anyway, more quotes from Kaleta: http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-Kaleta-speaks-out-about-his-suspension/15720266

It’s not fun at all, I need to be out there for my team and I’m more valuable on the ice than I am off the ice and that’s what I take most pride in, going out and battling with my teammates. When you’re not able to do that, it sucks.

I’ve watched it plenty of times and I’m not going to get into it because, quite frankly I could, but I’m not going to because it’s over with and my focus now is forward and being able to help the guys when I can and when the time comes on the ice, I’ve got to go out there and battle for my teammates, give up my body and be a guy that people can look up at.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already know.

Go to Sleep

CM Vanek
Jan 20, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Don Cherry on Patrick Kaleta.

So Don Cherry tweeted about Kaleta's suspension last night.

Buffalo's Kaleta got 5 games for running NYR's Richards. If ever a guy should get 5 games for anything it's this guy. He's a guy who runs Around sticking and backstabbing and not dropping the gloves to back it up. I must say he is a cheap shot artist.

What do you guys think?

ugly casanova*

Kaleta should be out of the league he is everything that is wrong with hockey :help:

EichelsJockStrap

Oct 4, 2007
thats funny because hes a hell of a defensive player/pker and has numerous fights... Don is so senile he makes Rick J look good :help:

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I think the sooner people stop paying attention to this old man the better off we'll all be.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
If Kaleta was a 'good Ontario boy', he would be screaming about Shanny.

Nothing to see here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad