TBN: Kaleta hit on Richards discussion (Suspended 5 games)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres...ng-with-nhl-for-boarding-penalty.html?ref=bmh

Kaleta has a 3 p.m. phone hearing scheduled with the NHL. Though he is a repeat offender based on last season's four-game benching for head-butting, which will impact his penalty, an in-person meeting with discipline czar Brendan Shanahan would likely have signaled a longer suspension than whatever Kaleta gets.

Well at least it won't be more than 5 games. Thats the max length he can get with a phone hearing.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
So torn on this (on how many games Shanny will decide). It wasn't intent to injure and he didn't drive through, charge or show recklessness. It was a dumb decision.

I say 3 or 4.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
So torn on this (on how many games Shanny will decide). It wasn't intent to injure and he didn't drive through, charge or show recklessness. It was a dumb decision.

I say 3 or 4.

If the name on the Jersey said Foligno or any other name, its a 1-2 game suspension or a fine.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'd say probably 4 games. His reputation is well deserved and it was such a dumb play, careless play, wreckless play. Players like Kaleta, Clutterbuck, Ott, Lucic, Lapierre, etc... are all players that play on the edge and often cross it. I hope that the punishment is heavy.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Some histrionics from the Rangers.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/sto...rs-disgusted-patrick-kaleta-hit-brad-richards

"It's probably one of the most dangerous hits I've ever seen," Rangers coach John Tortorella said after the game. "It's ridiculous."

Torts talking out of his ass if he thinks thats the most dangerous hit he's ever seen.

"It's disgusting," Tortorella said. "It's a lack of respect. Each team wants to beat the other team, but you have to respect what's going on, on the ice."

Almost as disrespectful as slapping a fan of the team you're one of the coaches for, right John?
Richards blasted Kaleta for his "stupidity," and said the hit has no place in the game.

"If we're all gonna look at each other's numbers and ram each other from behind head-first into the boards, it's gonna be a tough game to play," he said. "That's not hockey."

Richards questioned Kaleta's place in the game, as well.

"I don't know what game he plays, actually," Richards said. "He doesn't play hockey to begin with. Same guy, all the time."

I get his anger since he got hurt.

Richards said the blow left him struggling for breath and racing to collect his thoughts.

"I hit my head, everything. I don't know where to begin," he said. "So far, that's not an issue."

How was Richards able to avoid going to the quiet room as part of the concussion protocol? Endangering your own player after a hit like that is all good since your on a PP?

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So who checks or follows up with the trainers to make sure they follow proper protocol with potential head injuries? Who polices them? Is it possible the Rangers trainers were negligent with not doing a thorough exam including concussion protocol?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Richards wanted a show in FA, now he got a show from Kaleta.

Should be happy about it imo

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011
So who checks or follows up with the trainers to make sure they follow proper protocol with potential head injuries? Who polices them? Is it possible the Rangers trainers were negligent with not doing a thorough exam including concussion protocol?

Considering the fact that he didn't miss a shift I think the league should investigate this.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
Considering the fact that he didn't miss a shift I think the league should investigate this.

Richards isn't practicing today and apparently was in a "considerable amount of pain" after the game last night. So much pain that he had the ability to ***** about Kaleta to everyone who wanted to listen last night. Oh and of course that's after not missing a shift in the game.

zero39

Dec 15, 2005
It was a dangerous hit that has no place in the game, and was by a guy who has hit people from behind numerous times in the past. A suspension is well deserved. Too bad, because I was under the impression that Kaleta was finally moving on from some of the cheap shots he has taken in the past.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
It was a dangerous hit that has no place in the game, and was by a guy who has hit people from behind numerous times in the past. A suspension is well deserved. Too bad, because I was under the impression that Kaleta was finally moving on from some of the cheap shots he has taken in the past.
I don't think this was a cheap shot. It was a completely different style of play.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Probably not the worst I have seen, but the dumbest. I dont know what Kaleta was thinking. The situation, your short handed up a goal so you decide to cross check a guy from behind? Would have been 2 minutes no matter what.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010

I think it would be quite severe to say this was a cheap shot. It was a light push from behind, nothing more. The only things that mad it bad were the location of the push, and the fact that Richard put himself in a poor position.

HiddenInLight

Sep 4, 2011

It was a play that happens at least a hundred times a year in the NHL. Yes the results are unfortunate, but I think that Richards had just as much to do with the way he hit the boards as kaleta. it is hard to believe an NHLer could be THAT light on his skates. If he is, then he can look forward to a LOT of injuries.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Richards ended shift #16 at 03:28, the time of the penalty when Kaleta boarded him. He started shift #17 at 04:18.

Regardless of if he 'missed a shift' or not, he was off the ice for :50 of game action.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
He didn't return until the end of the ensuing PP. Unless I'm wrong, yes he did miss a couple shifts. On the PP.

Not sure on the specifics, but he was 3rd in TOI for Rangers forwards and Pominville was the only Sabre Forward with more ice time. 21:47 of ice time doesn't scream a serious amount of pain to me.

No doubt it was wrong of Kaleta to do, but if he was as hurt as he acted, or like some reporters are saying right now, he shouldn't have returned. There is no way he got a full evaluation before he came back out.

S319R11S16

Expect Suffering
Apr 18, 2006
I can't quote Sacktastic for whatever reason but thanks for posting that.

Just goes to show how much of a joke they are making this out to be. The dude didn't even goto the locker room then I assume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad