TBN: Kaleta hit on Richards discussion (Suspended 5 games)

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Those of us who think Richards embellished aren't talking about him hitting the boards. We're talking about his extended stay and actions on the ice. Especially since he was fine 20 seconds later.

Ya, watching the video it seemed Richards grabbed every part of his body except his head or neck. Lucky for me I got plenty of "I played hockey blah blah" people on hf who can inform me that you can indeed hurt your thigh and stomach by doing a faceplant. WATCH the video. The trainer comes out, and asks BR where it hurts. The trainer then touches his stomach and his thigh. Seriously Brad, seriously. Maybe that famous neurologist trying to throw his name around in the media can explain how his inflamed menenges and shock to his lymph node could indeed make him believe he had a belly ache. Haha.

Timbo Slice

Roaring back
Mar 30, 2010
Rochester
Ya, watching the video it seemed Richards grabbed every part of his body except his head or neck. Lucky for me I got plenty of "I played hockey blah blah" people on hf who can inform me that you can indeed hurt your thigh and stomach by doing a faceplant. WATCH the video. The trainer comes out, and asks BR where it hurts. The trainer then touches his stomach and his thigh. Seriously Brad, seriously. Maybe that famous neurologist trying to throw his name around in the media can explain how his inflamed menenges and shock to his lymph node could indeed make him believe he had a belly ache. Haha.

To be fair, Richards said that "everything hurt" and he was kind of out of it right after.

I don't know. 5 games is too harsh for me. But he definitely deserved at least 3.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo

I think some here are being incredibly petty in an effort to give Kaleta the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if Richards was a Sabre, we'd be hearing a completely different tune. It's incidents like this that give true homers a rare opportunity to shine.

Marc Staal's comments said a lot: mainly that Kaleta has played like a punk cheap shot artist since juniors---and he played against him a lot. I'm not a fan of Kaleta's. I think he's an embarrassment.

But let's not forget: Kaleta is the real victim here.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
I think some here are being incredibly petty in an effort to give Kaleta the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure if Richards was a Sabre, we'd be hearing a completely different tune. It's incidents like this that give true homers a rare opportunity to shine.

Marc Staal's comments said a lot: mainly that Kaleta has played like a punk cheap shot artist since juniors---and he played against him a lot. I'm not a fan of Kaleta's. I think he's an embarrassment.

But let's not forget: Kaleta is the real victim here.

And gives homers a real chance to troll. Buffalo trades Kaleta to the rangers tomorrow and and he hits a sabre the next time they play, stall and torts would be defending him.....I'll admit when I saw the hit live I was a little in shock and thought that it was a nasty cheap shot, but on replay he BARELY touches, but he barely touched him at the very worst time and place. The ONLY thing that Kaleta could have done less is not touch him at all, and since when do any hockey players think that way. Especially when you are up 1-0 on a good team in their building, it was careless, but *****, you can't act like that was intent to injure, he would have actually had to use an ounce of force in order to be INTENDING to do somthing.

Give it a rest, and stop acting like that was the only "viscous" hit of the game cause I believe I recall ennis also getting smashed into the boards, but that is not even MENTIONED.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
I'm not sure what you're implying either. The image shows his neck in a very unnatural position. Kaleta had plenty of time to hold up and not shove him face first from that distance into the boards.

Did you actually see the hit or are you basing this off that picture. Kaleta did not "shove him face first", Richards had himself in a very volatile position where if a fly landed on his back the momentum would have took him into the boards, he barely hit him, but in this case barely was still too much.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
To be fair, Richards said that "everything hurt" and he was kind of out of it right after.

I don't know. 5 games is too harsh for me. But he definitely deserved at least 3.

If it was Vanek, Hodgson laying light that on the ice, I would not have him back in the game right away. If everything hurt I would take all precautions and sent him to the back for second, third evaluations.

The NHL did right in suspending Kaleta for 5. They have to protect their stars.

The good. Patrick Kaleta must have a huge bench press. If that pushing motion did that to Richards, who Rags fans describe as being no Ennis, then imagine what he can do with 400 lbs.:)

funkymag77

Oct 21, 2009
Amherst, NY
All I want from this is consistency, I've seen so many plays over the years of Sabres getting boarded to hell with no justice served to the offender, Bourdon on Gerbe, Richards on Connelly, I'm sure I could think of more but it's still frustrating to see. Shanahan has been slightly more consistent then the previous regime, but he still has a long way to go.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Not even possible, nor was the push worth anything close to that. My guess is 1 for the crosscheck + 1 for the name on the jersey, maybe + another for Torts and Richards crying to the media.

The worst hit that torts has ever seen? but an in-person hearing is not even needed? Shanahan does not like Kaleta which is pretty obvious, and Kaleta's stupidity gave him a perfect chance to blow this out of proportion and issue a history making suspension on a "repeat offender", but instead Shanahan realized that the hit looked a lot more vicious then it was, and made a fair call.

I respect him for not going crazy and running with this. BUT I HATE HIS BORING TONE OF VOICE WHEN HE EXPLAINS SUSPENSIONS

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Stupid play by Kaleta that ended up costing us a point but I think that should have only been a 2-3 game suspension
It was not a stupid play. It was a routine hockey play. You see it so many times. Maybe he should have just grabbed Richards and took him into the boards ala Cooke on Karlsson. Maybe he should have poked with his stick.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
What a trip. When I was a children, watching Pecs leave his feet and absolutely crush some poor mook gave me a three-mile smile. Seriously. I realize that others here have the same happy memories watching Stevens, Potvin, Pronger, et al. Even seeing Soup step out of character and blast Umberger is badassery gin to my tonic.

Now I've got little guys of my own playing and...yeah you see where this heading so I'll spare you. That...left unsaid, I still want hitting to be a part of the game. A few of us find Lindy's argument to be contrary still.

Not a smart hockey play. It happens. Someones youtube account will blow up with a few more hits now. We'll pray for Richards speedy full recovery and return to form. Kaleta hopefully will put this in his "for future reference" box and carry on a little bit smarter.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
The worst hit that torts has ever seen? but an in-person hearing is not even needed? Shanahan does not like Kaleta which is pretty obvious, and Kaleta's stupidity gave him a perfect chance to blow this out of proportion and issue a history making suspension on a "repeat offender", but instead Shanahan realized that the hit looked a lot more vicious then it was, and made a fair call.

I respect him for not going crazy and running with this. BUT I HATE HIS BORING TONE OF VOICE WHEN HE EXPLAINS SUSPENSIONS

Like Shanahan can say anything.."Shanahan is the only player in NHL history with over 600 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendan_Shanahan

Tell me John Tortorella never put goons on the ice to hurt people,he's one of the worst hack coaches ever..Remember this one " Tortorella knew exactly what he was doing when he sent out rugged defenseman Stu Bickel to take the opening face-off. Bickel took on Ryan Carter while Brandon Prust exchanged blows with Cam Janssen and Mike Rupp fought with Eric Boulton."
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/20/tortorella-deboer-feud-heating-up/

Pot calling the kettle black imo...Pretty soon we will send hockey players out in those big blow-up sumo suits,Can't have a hockey player hit anyone OooOO :help:

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Man, I love listening to Steve Ott

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/71728254/3-4-steve-ott-talks-about-pat-kaleta-incident.htm

IMO he may be the best leader on the team, just going off his interviews and the effort he shows on the ice

honestly, you look at both sabre and ranger fans on these posts going off on each other, yelling and ranting like this and getting out of control, and it's hard not to get heated and emotional if you are a true fan of one of these teams because you want to defend you guy and your team, but when you listen to a player like ott, who is just laughing and being calm, a little jokey and just sounding carefree, it brought me as a fan back down cause I have to think, if Ott is not swayed by this stuff, then why are we?

Also, with kaleta getting suspended, Ott will end up having to be more of an agitator which he definitely can do if we need him to, so not only is he a calming force for fans with his interviews, he's definitely good to have on the ice as well. And besides, Scott will probably end up playing cause of Kaleta's absense and he will be able to help a littble bit too if things get dicey.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
And gives homers a real chance to troll. Buffalo trades Kaleta to the rangers tomorrow and and he hits a sabre the next time they play, stall and torts would be defending him.....I'll admit when I saw the hit live I was a little in shock and thought that it was a nasty cheap shot, but on replay he BARELY touches, but he barely touched him at the very worst time and place. The ONLY thing that Kaleta could have done less is not touch him at all, and since when do any hockey players think that way. Especially when you are up 1-0 on a good team in their building, it was careless, but *****, you can't act like that was intent to injure, he would have actually had to use an ounce of force in order to be INTENDING to do somthing.

Give it a rest, and stop acting like that was the only "viscous" hit of the game cause I believe I recall ennis also getting smashed into the boards, but that is not even MENTIONED.

I guess you've never crosschecked anyone or been crosschecked. it takes VERY LITTLE pressure to send someone flying. VERY little. That stick, clutched between two hands, is quite unforgiving.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ott is THE defacto leader of the team now---from what I can tell. Pominville, OTOH, while a very nice and very talented hockey soldier, is nowhere near the passionate force that Ott is.

Pominville has never been rah rah or a public vocal leader at any point; at least publicly. He gives your patented "c'mon boys" on the bench (games I've been to you can hear it, you can see it on TV when they pan the bench on occasion).

But what makes Stee Vott so different is that he wears his emotions quite clearly on his proverbial sleeve.

His feet never stop, he hits everything in sight, and he knows how to play the game. Absolutely worthy of a letter, ASAP.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Man, I love listening to Steve Ott

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/71728254/3-4-steve-ott-talks-about-pat-kaleta-incident.htm

IMO he may be the best leader on the team, just going off his interviews and the effort he shows on the ice

Great interview.

Disagree with Ott on one notion: the severity of the injury and its impact on the call on the ice or the suspension, if one is in question. It should have NO bearing on the penalty or the suspension. For any hit in any game. You judge the action and the hit itself, not the result. But that's never what happens. What if Ennis stayed down and writhed in agony after the Girardi boarding? Too often, that ends up impacting the call, and that bothers me.

Just like the drawing of blood to determine minor vs double minor on high sticking calls.

Judge the action, not the outcome. Big problem with the league in these instances nowadays

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Just like the drawing of blood to determine minor vs double minor on high sticking calls.

Judge the action, not the outcome. Big problem with the league in these instances nowadays

There is a major precedent though for taking injury into account resulting from another player's actions: ALL of criminal law.

Why should the NHL behave any differently than we do as a society when punishing bad behavior?

Luceni

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2006
Austria
5 games are a bit much imo. Also Richards words to the media are a bit inapprobiate.

It was a penalty for sure but kaleta did hardly touch richards. if Kaleta really would have wanted to injure richards he had skated with much more speed into the check.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
There is a major precedent though for taking injury into account resulting from another player's actions: ALL of criminal law.

Why should the NHL behave any differently than we do as a society when punishing bad behavior?
because its a sports league, not a culture or a society.

Murder and checking from behind are not comparable. We are talking about trying to eliminate certain plays from happening - when they do, the injury of the victim shouldn't weigh heavily on the infraction.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Because if the ultimate goal is to rid the game of these "bad" hits...then the result should not matter. This isn't about punishing bad behavior..this is about setting precedents as to what is allowed and what isn't allowed.

This isn't criminal law. There is so much wrong with criminal law its not even funny...not sure why you'd want to go down that road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad