TBN: Kaleta hit on Richards discussion (Suspended 5 games)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sorry, but at some point you have to trust the player behind you to respect you, right?

No not really.

Any player that trusts anyone but themselves for protection is a fool. I'm big on players protecting themselves in all situations.

Richards was stupid in how he played it, but Patty was even stupider to do that to him, in that position, at that point of the game.

I agree.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
He's not getting blamed for getting hit. He's being criticized for not protecting himself in that situation. He's actions turned a shove from behind into a potentially crippling head first collision with the boards. You and others don't seem to understand that play happens all the time in games with the difference being 99% of the time the player getting shoved is protecting themselves. Thus not ending up sailing head first into the boards.

To put this situation another way....

Kaleta shoved Richards in a manner that happens all the time in games assuming Richards would be protecting himself as happens 99% of the time in that situation. Instead Richards made himself more vulnerable by leaning forward to play the puck into the corner. Thus leading him to fall quite easily and go sailing headfirst into the boards. These things happened simultaneously so there is no way Kaleta could know thats what Richards intended to do.

I'm sure Kaleta didn't intend injury but it was a stupid play and most players would not have hit him in that position. The puck was there and Richards was, of course, going to play it. Was it a little unlucky? Yes. Did the fact that it's Kaleta make it easier to hand out 5 games? Yes. Does he deserve every single game? Yes.

I do read the main board article but I still don't see many saying anything other than a dirty player got suspended rightly so, and to be fair it's hard to deny that. Last season he got suspended for headbutting multiple times.

He plays a game to get hated and we're surprised when stuff like this happens?

I hope Kaleta comes right back and does it again and again and again until there's a pile of bodies too big to ignore.

In all seriousness, I'm sick of boarding. It's dumb, it's reckless, it's incredibly dangerous, and it should never ever happen. Make it a major and an automatic suspension for every infraction. I don't care if innocent players get suspended, it'll make them err on the side of caution. I've never seen a hit along the glass, legal or otherwise that I've thought, "gee I'm sure glad there aren't rules that make players not want to do that."

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I hope Kaleta comes right back and does it again and again and again until there's a pile of bodies too big to ignore.

In all seriousness, I'm sick of boarding. It's dumb, it's reckless, it's incredibly dangerous, and it should never ever happen. Make it a major and an automatic suspension for every infraction. I don't care if innocent players get suspended, it'll make them err on the side of caution. I've never seen a hit along the glass, legal or otherwise that I've thought, "gee I'm sure glad there aren't rules that make players not want to do that."

Believe it or not he's not out there to make dirty hits, he plays the game balls to the wall and at the NHL level the games a lot faster than it looks on your tv.

Believe it or not he's not out there to make dirty hits, he plays the game balls to the wall and at the NHL level the games a lot faster than it looks on your tv.

Almost everything he does is dirty. Two headbutts, the bench door incident, most charging PIM in the league the last three seasons...these aren't accidents.

I don't hate him when he's irritating and keeping his dirtiness under control, but there's no doubt he's a dirty player. Ignorant recklessness is still dirty.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
This could have been the end result of that Kaleta hit: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...-being-pushed-into-end-boards/article9447023/

Sad to see stuff like this.
I feel bad for the guy getting seriously injured, but what the **** was he thinking?? He creates the initial contact by pulling up into the chasing players body 3 feet from the boards.

It's absolutely a stupid hit and suspension worthy, but that's an absolutely stupid place to initiate contact and goes back to what joshjull's been saying. You have to protect yourself on the ice. It's a thoughtless hit that had awful consequences, but I saw no maliciousness on the part of the other player there.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Almost everything he does is dirty. Two headbutts, the bench door incident, most charging PIM in the league the last three seasons...these aren't accidents.

I don't hate him when he's irritating and keeping his dirtiness under control, but there's no doubt he's a dirty player. Ignorant recklessness is still dirty.

Almost everything he does is not dirty. And if you're going to call the door thing a dirty play, well....

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Criminal,

In general, people need to be careful of the "NHL reputation" equivalent of selection bias in statistics when viewing Kaleta.

I'm not sure Kaleta's any dirtier than other so-called (and often justifiably so) dirty players. And I'm not saying this in a condescending way, but I've been watching NHL hockey longer than you've been alive.

For example, Mike Peca left his skates for probably 85% of the open-ice hits he made during his career. That's supposed to be illegal. Old video - you can see him routinely launching himself 4-6" up before impact. I don't recall him ever being called for it. Was Mike Peca dirty? If he wasn't the Sabre captain, and less talented, would he have been called for it?

I agree Kaleta has been justifably penalized and punished in the past for selected antics. I also believe he is actually a very smart-with-the-puck hockey player, who plays with consistent effort, and to the maximum of his abilities and skills, and those skills and abilities have grown substantially since he entered the league. I can't say that last sentence about more than a couple Sabres over the past handful of years.

As for the Richards incident, I can't believe Richards attempted the play he did with the balance / positioning he had. He looked like me on skates. No excuse for Kaleta's love-pat, but that's a total non-call if Richards had any semblance of balance during that play.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Okay, fine, almost every penalty he commits is a dirty penalty. I don't get it, there is no need for a dichotomy, liking Kaleta, appreciating his rule, and calling him what he is are not mutually exclusive things.

Because you're not calling him what he is. Very few of Kaleta's hits and/or penalties are dirty in any way.

Because you're not calling him what he is. Very few of Kaleta's hits and/or penalties are dirty in any way.

Since 2010-2011

Roughing - 56 PIM
Charging - 14
High Sticking - 6
Kneeing - 2
Boarding - 2
Cross Checking - 2
Elbowing - 0
Slashing - 0
Check to Head - 0
Attempt to Injure - 0

Interference - 8
Unsportsmanlike - 6
Goalie Interference - 4
Hooking - 2
Holding - 0
Delay of Game - 0
Holding the Stick - 0
Diving - 0
Instigator - 0
Throwing Stick - 0

Would point out that no one has more charging PIM in that span and only one player (Neil) has more roughing PIM and Kaleta has played about 40 fewer games than both. Dirty doesn't mean intentionally trying to injure someone, it includes doing things that are reckless or dangerous.

How many players have more suspensions than him?
He's been caught headbutting MULTIPLE TIMES. What evidence do you have that paints him as not dirty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad