Kaiton Out as Radio Broadcast

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
We’ve also gotten a state of the art locker room, the highest-end defenseman that’s ever played for the team, and several in-house promotions of some pretty neat people (Brind’Amour, Tulsky, etc).

The pedigree is valuable until it proves the results aren’t coming. Francis didn’t get the team to the playoffs. Karmanos sold. Nieuwendyk didn’t... do anything. Kaiton was drawing less than 2,000 listeners to his entertainment show.

The Red Wings aren’t paying Ted Lindsay anymore because he’d be easily the worst player in the league. The Sedins didn’t get top line minutes last year in Vancouver, because they’ve declined. They chose to retire rather than accept a significant pay cut, and no one is vilifying the Canucks for that. A few years ago, Cam Ward stopped being as good as he used to be, and took a pay cut to reflect that.

Kaiton was offered a pay cut, likely in proportion to the value he brings. He chose to decline. I’m not trying to **** on the guy, but his show was drawing less than 2,000 listeners. It doesn’t mean he hasn’t done great work over the years, it means he’s currently not bringing value to the team. He was offered a pay cut and he declined. I don’t think anyone’s at fault here, it is what it is.

As far as the “throw the guy a bone” contingent, that’s what teams that are successful and make money can afford to do. This team loses money paying their roster the cap floor. Work needs to be done before we can do that kind of thing.

I like it a lot

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He also heaped praise on both Francis and Peters. Respecting a guy and firing a guy are are not mutually exclusive.

Heaping praise is a bit different than identifying as a premium asset IMO. Respect a personality and respecting the value of that asset above replacement level can also be different.

Although I agree with your point as I’m sure Dundon has done some of that with Francis/Peters in the past.

Simulcasting the TV broadcast makes John even more important as he reaches those ~2,000 extra listeners now. In the end John’s decision to stay will be likely also be decided by team success. Given his talent, I doubt he’d want to come back to a team that just missed the Playoffs for a decade straight regardless of the owner.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm sad to see him go. I was at Virginia Tech the year we won the Cup. There was no good way to watch the team, other than the 10+ times I drove down, so I listened to pretty much every game online with Chuck in the regular season. So, I do have nostalgia for that. However, that was the only year I listened to him call a game as I had Center Ice every year since then and some before.

I'm pretty much of the same mind I've had with all the decisions so far. If we turn things around, I'm good with it. I don't think anyone is entitled to a life time position. We've needed changes from top to bottom for a while, and we're getting it. I'm happy with that.

As for John, I don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon, but I'm not going to act like he's gone before he's gone.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm sad to see him go. I was at Virginia Tech the year we won the Cup. There was no good way to watch the team, other than the 10+ times I drove down, so I listened to pretty much every game online with Chuck in the regular season. So, I do have nostalgia for that. However, that was the only year I listened to him call a game as I had Center Ice every year since then and some before.
You, too? Damn, I was in summer classes during the run, so I caught a couple games at Sharkey's when I didn't drive down. We probably ran into each other a few times. Watched Game 7 from my apt because I had a finance midterm the next day that I wanted to study for (hahahahahahahaha)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm sure this won't be the most popular of opinions, but I think it was time for him to go. As has been said, radio is a dying platform, and the times I was listening in the recent past, I almost felt like I would rather be listening to Forslund and Tripp. Football is a different animal because the main broadcast for each game is national network, so the only team voices are the radio guys, but in something like hockey? The main guys have to be TV, and that's where the money should go. If we were losing >$100k per year on something that only 2k people listen to, financially it had to be done.

And I get it, Kaiton is one of the last anchors to Hartford, but damn, its been 22 years since we were there. Its well past time to move on if the financial benefit isn't there anymore. Especially when that money can be better spent elsewhere. Its sad to see him go, but it was time. Especially when anyone with a valid login can stream the game on the road through the FoxSports app, which I did multiple times last year when I was away.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
John is on the record this summer as saying that Brind’Amour being named HC is the most excited he’s been about this team in 10 years. He’s also on the record as being incredibly in favor of the Hamilton trade, and likes the moves we made this year.

He had an hour long interview on the Section 328 pod last week, I think he’s in favor of most of the changes that happened this offseason. I doubt he’s happy that Chuck’s gone. But I also don’t get the sense that this offseason is the “last straw”, I think it’s the opposite, he’s liking the changes and it’s energizing.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
because nowhere in this organization should anyone be entitled to a high-paid job for life.

I don't think anyone is entitled to a life time position. We've needed changes from top to bottom for a while, and we're getting it. I'm happy with that.

Last one leaving the Country Club, please don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....for all of our complaining about said country club, seems a little confusing when we get what we ask for.

I loved Chuck and often listened to him on the radio. I'll miss him....but I don't have a feeling one way or another about his departure. As many have said, put the product on the ice that I want and I'll be ecstatic.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You, too? Damn, I was in summer classes during the run, so I caught a couple games at Sharkey's when I didn't drive down. We probably ran into each other a few times. Watched Game 7 from my apt because I had a finance midterm the next day that I wanted to study for (hahahahahahahaha)
Yeah, that was my last year at Tech. Took the drive down to Raleigh a ton since it was only a few hours and fairly cheap. I was at Terrace View apartments that year. I think I left back for home the day of game 3 of the New Jersey series.

This situation sucks, but I do understand it like most of the decisions that have been made. I mostly like where we're headed and what's been done. I just really want to see us back in the playoffs more than anything at this point, like we all do.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
John is on the record this summer as saying that Brind’Amour being named HC is the most excited he’s been about this team in 10 years. He’s also on the record as being incredibly in favor of the Hamilton trade, and likes the moves we made this year.

He had an hour long interview on the Section 328 pod last week, I think he’s in favor of most of the changes that happened this offseason. I doubt he’s happy that Chuck’s gone. But I also don’t get the sense that this offseason is the “last straw”, I think it’s the opposite, he’s liking the changes and it’s energizing.

The guy who is paid by the team to be their spokesman is saying things positive publicly about the moves they made? How truly shocking.

Do you honestly think if he had a problem with anything that happened he’d say it publicly?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I do find it a bit funny that a lot of Dundon's decisions are met with "Well, it's his team. He can do what he wants with it" from team personnel. I know Waddell and Brindamour have both said something to that effect, Forslund, I believe, has as well, and now Kaiton echoed it in his departure.

If the boss is making decisions that his employees find stupid (which "Well its his team" certanly gives off that impression), you'd hope someone would step up and talk to him about it.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The guy who is paid by the team to be their spokesman is saying things positive publicly about the moves they made? How truly shocking.

Do you honestly think if he had a problem with anything that happened he’d say it publicly?

Last year on the same podcast he told everyone to slow down on Darling, and publicly questioned the dual captains idea, saying if you have two you have none, and he’d have rather seen them pick one or the other or Williams. He did praise the Williams acquisition.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Last year on the same podcast he told everyone to slow down on Darling, and publicly questioned the dual captains idea, saying if you have two you have none, and he’d have rather seen them pick one or the other or Williams. He did praise the Williams acquisition.

Last year everyone and their mother wasn’t getting let go. He could’ve said literally anything on that podcast last year and PK still wouldn’t know about it.

I do find it a bit funny that a lot of Dundon's decisions are met with "Well, it's his team. He can do what he wants with it" from team personnel. I know Waddell and Brindamour have both said something to that effect, Forslund, I believe, has as well, and now Kaiton echoed it in his departure.

If the boss is making decisions that his employees find stupid (which "Well its his team" certanly gives off that impression), you'd hope someone would step up and talk to him about it.

Like who? The only guy with that type of clout was Francis and we saw how that ended.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Like who? The only guy with that type of clout was Francis and we saw how that ended.

IIRC, when Brindamour was hired, didn't he have some quote like "It's my job to tell Dundon why what he wants is a bad idea." And then followed that up with something about the inevitability of being fired?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think you guys can probably figure out my feelings on this. I won't bother typing them because the board has a profanity filter. If the Wolf Pack were smart they would give him an amazing offer to come home and work for them as that would be priceless PR and make fans actually care about the team (getting any other team than the rags as an affiliate would also help).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Why do I keep reading people who are assuming that Francis was ever in the long term plans under Dundon. He was effectively fired at the earliest possible moment that wouldn't negatively impact the team the second after Dundon bought the franchise. Same with Peters.

Heck, isn't it almost assumed that when someone buys a franchise, within a short period of time, the management and coaching staffs see a complete overhaul, especially ones that don't have a proven winning track record? New owners want their guys running the show, just like new GMs want their own coaches.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That’s not what I said.

Your implication is that Dundon is Big Brother, and anyone not toeing the line is immediately in the doghouse - as if that’s been the case with anyone getting let go or not renewed. Therefore Forslund, who’s spoke his mind in the past on that same medium, now can’t for fear of being fired.

Given the stretch that that implication requires, it sure seemed like you were looking for a reason that John must definitely be so upset that Chuck’s gone that he’s probably on the way out next. If you weren’t, I apologize. But he didn’t need to go out of his way to talk up Brind’Amour and the offseason moves the way he did. Genuinely more excited about them than last year. He also mentioned Chuck on the very same podcast and said he’d be deeply saddened and disappointed if he didn’t return, said he had some inside info from conversations with Chuck but didn’t want to share out of respect to him. Said he acknowledged that radio was a declining medium but that no one means more to the Canes than Chuck. Not quite a company line. Regardless, the remaining tone was one of optimism and renewed excitement in the Brind’Amour regime.

EDIT: also said that the goaltending is in no way fixed with Mrazek and it will continue to be a weakness unless one can bounce back. Did say that signing him to a one-year deal was smart though to minimize the negative affects if he doesn’t bounce back.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Your implication is that Dundon is Big Brother, and anyone not toeing the line is immediately in the doghouse - as if that’s been the case with anyone getting let go or not renewed. Therefore Forslund, who’s spoke his mind in the past on that same medium, now can’t for fear of being fired.

Given the stretch that that implication requires, it sure seemed like you were looking for a reason that John must definitely be so upset that Chuck’s gone that he’s probably on the way out next. If you weren’t, I apologize. But he didn’t need to go out of his way to talk up Brind’Amour and the offseason moves the way he did. Genuinely more excited about them than last year. He also mentioned Chuck on the very same podcast and said he’d be deeply saddened and disappointed if he didn’t return, said he had some inside info from conversations with Chuck but didn’t want to share out of respect to him. Said he acknowledged that radio was a declining medium but that no one means more to the Canes than Chuck. Not quite a company line. Regardless, the remaining tone was one of optimism and renewed excitement in the Brind’Amour regime.

EDIT: also said that the goaltending is in no way fixed with Mrazek and it will continue to be a weakness unless one can bounce back. Did say that signing him to a one-year deal was smart though to minimize the negative affects if he doesn’t bounce back.

I didn’t listen so if he said his peace about Chuck and is disappointed then I don’t think there’s anymore to it than that.

I was just saying it’s literally part of his job to get us excited about this team. I can’t take everything he says at face value. He’s actually probably more candid than most while he is still very pro-Canes.

The only thing that’s going to piss him off to the point of leaving is either someone higher up telling him how to do his job (I hope that’s a highly unlikely scenario) or TD decides he’s not worth the $.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $2,335.00