Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Less than 2,000 listeners per game.

Sounds like it’s not the cleanest break, but a relationship that makes very little financial sense to maintain.

As much as I like the guy, I can’t say I’ve listened to his broadcast more than once or twice in the last several years. In fact, as far as full or partial games are concerned, I’ve probably listened to less than 50 in the past 15 years (as opposed to watching ~90% of John and Tripp’s broadcasts in that time). I just don’t have the nostalgia associated with him that is associated with others (Cam, Francis, etc), so maybe I’m not the norm here, but to me it seems like this was the right move and it’s just unfortunate that it caused hurt feelings.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I listen to parts multiple times a year when I'm driving during games for any number of reasons. But I can't say I sit down at home to listen to Kaiton's call when I can watch and also hear Forslund and Tracy. I think Forslund can adapt his style to be useful to both formats, even though that can be tricky.

I agree it's a sad day, but in some way an inevitable one in terms of dual production when a single broadcast production will suffice. Luke points out the Canes aren't the first NHL franchise to do this, and is almost certainly correct they won't be the last.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Penny wise and pound foolish. Kaiton was a connection to the entire history of the organization...not just a radio voice. They should have been trying to find more ways to expose fans to Chuck not trying to minimize him. When not actually at the game live, I probably listen to half of the games on the radio due to being stuck at work or watching other sports while listening to Chuck--he is my voice of the Hurricanes and has been since 1997.

Simply a move that serves to alienate only those fans who have been most loyal to the team in the years that they have been so inept on the ice.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Sad day for me as well. Anytime I was on the road and a game was on it was a must to listen to Chuck. I personally loved his voice and the way he called the game. Always engaged me as a listener.

But my favorite attribute about Kaiton was his profound memory and the storytelling that went along with it. The guy remembers details from what seems like every single hockey game he’s ever called. He was so passionate about the game of hockey and the Canes. You can tell in his closing remarks in that DeCock article that he feels betrayed, which is sad as he’s been with the organization for longer than anyone that’s associated with it. He had some seriously incredible stories to tell, he should be a hockey historian. I’ll miss his radio calls and his intermission talks on all the great hockey stories he had to share with his listeners.

All that said I do understand the move. And I wish Chuck K luck on continuing to use his awesome gift.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If they offered him a reduced salary in hopes that he would just say no and they could move direct to simulcast, I think that makes sense financially. If someone else is in the booth this year Dundon can take one of his Top Golf loner drivers, turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it straight up his candy ass.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I went through entire seasons working mostly at night and listening to Chuck on the radio. it's a sad day for me, and I guess not enough others.
Not alone on that. I used to listen to Chuck all the time at work via the internet streams when I worked night shift since 1 - local TV blackout for center ice for streaming video and 2 - no tv around for me to hijack.

Sucks that he'll be gone, though I have no doubt that John and Tripp will do a good job covering the game. Simulcast seems to be the wave of the future and really only the sports with a significant enough break in the play (football and baseball) between action make the most sense to not be looking at that route.

Last edited:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If at this point anyone thinks Forslund is coming back when his contract ends you are going to be very disappointed. Why on earth would he pay top $ for Forslund when he can have Shaya do it for whatever the least amount of money someone would take is?

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I listened to Chuck on the way home from hockey practice or games, or when a game wasn’t on sports channel from the time I was 4 until they left when I was 12. When they moved I listened to games online when it was available (not until I got to college I think). There isn’t a voice I associate with the sport of hockey more than Chuck Kaiton. There wasn’t a player I looked up to more than Ron Francis. In the span of 5 months TD has removed both of them from this franchise and it’s going to be very difficult for me to not view him negatively. I get the business end of it, I really do, but I’m still going to be f***ing pissed off about it.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it seems so logical to transition chuck into making the team's official podcast or something. that seems to be a thriving industry and if done properly, would easily get more than 2k listeners. it is possible he didn't want to transition away from calling games or would have interpreted that as a demotion. just hard to believe they couldn't have perhaps added some responsibilities or gotten creative. it's doubtful chuck was making millions.

dundon showing once again he has not one iota of regard for the history of the club. it probably feels like office space around the hurricanes offices right now with people attempting to justify their previous function. i fully supported the francis decision and reluctantly resigned myself to waddell and brind'amour, but these attempts to streamline the budget to operate a bare bones infrastructure are going to alienate some fans who have seen that materialize in their own work experience. part of the experience associated with fandom is nostalgia based and coming in so guns blazing against that sentiment is just bad optics. there was an odd comfort in the consistency of chuck's presence whether you listened to him or not. the debate about current viability of the medium seems somewhat immaterial when talking about a man who worked for almost four decades in your organization. this just feels like not honoring the history of the franchise and those that helped to build this market. chuck patiently explained hockey during intermission for *years* to casual listeners from subjects as banal as icing to the number of officials on the ice. not sure if that qualifies him for a legacy job in the organization, but it certainly should have earned him more than this unceremonious dumping the year prior to his 40th anniversary. to not get to call his last game while knowing he's calling his last game is criminal. absolutely criminal.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Terrestrial radio is a dying industry. I get it. Sucks since Chuck K had been around forever, and he's a part of the Canes family. Sounds like Dundon made a minimal offer just to try to keep him around, but it's still a business. We have a lot of ex-Canes hanging around and it's often seemed like Edwards Mill Country Club.

I was pissed years ago when Bob the Blade was fired to bring in canned radio.

Last edited by a moderator:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I’ve been listening to Chuck since I before I can remember. He’s been in the background of my life since I was ten, grew up listening to him. He had the best in depth interviews between periods. In college sometimes we couldn’t afford cable and I listened to entire games. Pre games on the way to the civic center.

I get it’s a dying medium I suppose but I would question how they figure out the actual numbers there, I don’t know how they do it. I agree with the concept they could be more creative to find a way to keep him. Based on TD to this point, it’s hardly a shock but this is immediately put on my list of things I now hate about this team if they don’t improve meaningfully.

We wanted change. Here it is.

I can’t thank you enough for the years Chuck. It’s been an honor.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
and don't be mistaken. if it's chuck today, it can be forslund tomorrow if the criteria we're establishing is in profitability over everything. hell, there might already be a degree of damage done on that front with the immense amount of respect between the two. an expense that is part of the experience cannot explain itself and it seems that subtlety is lost on our new owner.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I would have loved to see Chuck doing between-period interviews, Chuck in place of Maniscalco on the pregame, Chuck on community outreach, any number of things.

But that type of role would have to be a pay cut from the radio PBP and that would be a much different role for someone who has been calling radio PBP alone for 39 years. So I completely understand if Kaiton wants to keep calling games somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->