Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
I don't get the what players we have even that can make up a full roster. Doesn't Pulju getting traded just mean we're short a forward even from where we were or Shore just inserted in? Tangibly whats the diff?

Kane isn't available to play yet afaik.

Just not gonna do a backflip because the org mismanaged yet another top pick prospect and where getting the "capspace" out of it is heralded as such a good day. Seems like the org failing a player yet again.

If a person hated the player I could see this being viewed as a good day. I didn't hate the player.

There are a lot of players the Oilers can go with to run a full roster.

I don't hate Puljujarvi either. I'd actually like him back next year at a cap hit that starts with a 1.

Hate the cap hit, not the player.

Reactions: stratedge

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't hate Puljujarvi either. I'd actually like him back next year at a cap hit that starts with a 1.

Which players? That was my actual question. I don't see any that we're not dressing. Not like we have any excess of usable roster players.

Guys like Malone from AHL are worse options. It just makes us dress a worse lineup. What am I missing?

Its not me. I swear. heh I don't even post on twitter or have an account.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007

Holland offered Jesse 1M, he wanted a fresh start.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I don't think we'll be seeing JP back with the Oilers, for a number of reasons.

I don't dislike the guy, he seems to be quite personable but OMG is it time to move on from this soap opera. I hope he becomes a 20 goal scorer in Carolina but we are going to have to find another topic of discussion here on the boards. Any guesses as to how many posts were devoted to him during the past 6 years? I am guessing 30K+

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think a lot of posters hate for Yamamoto this year is just the need for a whipping boy. Battling the neck/concussion issues this year left him out of the line up or a shell of his former self. For me he gets a pass this season, could he be playing better sure. But missing half the season is going to affect a lot of players games. These complimentary/support players usually get lost in the what have they done lately ideal, they then leave to be a decent player elsewhere. Also for these players it’s a lot about the fit and team dynamic as they can’t carry line themselves.

Like another poster pointed out he had 20 goals last year and the DRY line was a top producing line in the NHL that everyone complained when it was broken up. It’s a shame that success didn’t continue. Up till this season he was consistently healthy, but every one now claims he’s made of glass. It’s one bad injury year, sure concussions are problematic but let’s see what happens.
Well, JP is gone, and Drai is playing better, so someone has to be sacrificed on the alter of Devo.

I don't think we'll be seeing JP back with the Oilers, for a number of reasons.

I don't dislike the guy, he seems to be quite personable but OMG is it time to move on from this soap opera. I hope he becomes a 20 goal scorer in Carolina but we are going to have to find another topic of discussion here on the boards. Any guesses as to how many posts were devoted to him during the past 6 years? I am guessing 30K+
Not sure what the Oiler record is for failed player total posts, but he has to be up there with Yak, Schremp and Omark.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Are we just pretending that Yamamoto didn't score 20 goals last season, and wasn't point a game over 30 games in his rookie season? Christ some of you are ridiculous. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him out, but to pretend he's brought absolutely nothing in his time here is asinine.

Max Domi, a player a lot of you are crying for right now, had very similar seasons to Yamo's only a couple years ago. If he sticks around, there's still a chance that he has another good season in him.
No.

His finnish is awful.
There is so much work to be done.

He is also veey injury prone, thanks to his style, wich makes him stay at NHL level. I suspect he would net the same return as Nyqvist in a deal, maybe a bit more because younger and draft pedigree. 3rd for Yamamoto 40% retained...

Fogele got the memo, outperform or your the one next to Pulju whos out. And as said here, he stepped up his game because he wants to win, not sulk about no top6 time.
Yamamoto really, really needs to go.
He and Campbell is the two who is most overpaid here.

There is no other skater that has a lesser value for money contract on oilers.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
No.

His finnish is awful.
There is so much work to be done.

He is also veey injury prone, thanks to his style, wich makes him stay at NHL level. I suspect he would net the same return as Nyqvist in a deal, maybe a bit more because younger and draft pedigree. 3rd for Yamamoto 40% retained...

Fogele got the memo, outperform or your the one next to Pulju whos out. And as said here, he stepped up his game because he wants to win, not sulk about no top6 time.
Yamamoto really, really needs to go.
He and Campbell is the two who is most overpaid here.

There is no other skater that has a lesser value for money contract on oilers.
A) Yamo is not injury-prone, unless we’re just pretending that these concussion issues this season are now permanent and chronic. He’s barely missed any games prior to this season.

B) He did outperform puljujarvi this season, and honestly it hasn’t been that close.

I agree that he makes too much and probably doesn’t work in the oilers cap structure, but they need to find a cheaper replacement first.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
A) Yamo is not injury-prone, unless we’re just pretending that these concussion issues this season are now permanent and chronic. He’s barely missed any games prior to this season.

B) He did outperform puljujarvi this season, and honestly it hasn’t been that close.

I agree that he makes too much and probably doesn’t work in the oilers cap structure, but they need to find a cheaper replacement first.
The cheaper replacement is Hollywood Holloway. The same offense (low) but better skater and more size.
Yamamoto is right now a better overall player, but his offense is just soo bad.

Kane/Nuge/Leon DS. McDavid Hyman
E Kane Leon Holloway
Kostin Nuge Janmark
Fogele McLeod Ryan

DS = Double shift

If Bjugstad comes in, then slide up Fogele to top 6 and Bjugstad with McLeod.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The cheaper replacement is Hollywood Holloway. The same offense (low) but better skater and more size.
Yamamoto is right now a better overall player, but his offense is just soo bad.

Kane/Nuge/Leon DS. McDavid Hyman
E Kane Leon Holloway
Kostin Nuge Janmark
Fogele McLeod Ryan

DS = Double shift

If Bjugstad comes in, then slide up Fogele to top 6 and Bjugstad with McLeod.
It’s just not the same offence. Holloway has a bright future, but he hasn’t put up numbers anywhere near yamo, even when he’s had chances higher in lineup.

If they’re moving yamo, they need to replace him with someone better. Holloway is an unacceptable replacement for a team that is supposed to be all in this year.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
It’s just not the same offence. Holloway has a bright future, but he hasn’t put up numbers anywhere near yamo, even when he’s had chances higher in lineup.

If they’re moving yamo, they need to replace him with someone better. Holloway is an unacceptable replacement for a team that is supposed to be all in this year.
If another deal comes through, I could live wigh both Yamamoto and Holloway being a part of it. Holloway is a long way to becoming a solid top 6 Vyman type of cogwheel. In win now mode, I could sacriface that.

My dream would be 2023 2nd +2024 1st + 2025 3rd+ Holloway+ Yamamoto for Chuchryn + Veljmeka.

Or even better Holloway + Campbell. But that wont happen.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

As raw as Holloway is, right now, I would take him over Yamamoto. Holloway isn't a driver by any means, but he certainly doesn't kill offence the way Yamamoto does.

That being said, I would keep Holloway down (I think he's injured?) and give Lavoie a shot.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
As raw as Holloway is, right now, I would take him over Yamamoto. Holloway isn't a driver by any means, but he certainly doesn't kill offence the way Yamamoto does.

That being said, I would keep Holloway down (I think he's injured?) and give Lavoie a shot.
I just don't get this. Yamamoto is a nearly 0.5 ppg player in his career, and he scored 20 last season. I would keep Holloway if for some reason I had to choose between the two because I think he'll be a good player in the future, but for this season, that makes no sense to me. Holloway got some looks in the top six this year and looked completely out of place. Replace Yamo with a better player, I'm on board. Holloway isn't it this year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Yama has missed appreciable injuries every season he's played. Even in his rook season where he illustriously got near ppg he was missing in action for week due to injury at different segments. he's regularly injured. I've given you background on his multiple concussion injuries.

Seems like you're just pretending Yama hasn't been regularly out of the lineup. Even last season the one season one could argue he was healthy he was injured in playoffs missing games and came out of games early due to being hurt and this season has missed 25 games and counting. For a player that isn't even any focus of defensive coverage its kind of weird how much he's injured. Nobody targets him. Opponents WANT the puck to go to yama. It means dangerous players don't have the puck.

Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I just don't get this. Yamamoto is a nearly 0.5 ppg player in his career, and he scored 20 last season. I would keep Holloway if for some reason I had to choose between the two because I think he'll be a good player in the future, but for this season, that makes no sense to me. Holloway got some looks in the top six this year and looked completely out of place. Replace Yamo with a better player, I'm on board. Holloway isn't it this year.
I think those numbers are mainly supported by one really hot season where he caught lightning in a bottle to click with Drai and RNH. Since that year, he's really struggled, and recently, is killing plays with regularity. Agreed about Holloway and I wish we had better options on the right side. Hopefully Holland will bring us something by Friday.

Useless plug

May 23, 2021
I'm not, but you have to replace him with a better player if you move him. They have given Puljujarvi every chance to pass Yamo in the lineup, and he blew it. If Puljujarvi had shown a pulse this year, it would've been Yamo going out.

If they brought in a Domi, or someone else who can fill that spot, by all means move Yamo. But right now he's the obvious sixth man in the top 6, and until they find someone better, you're only making the team worse by moving him out and not replacing him.

No comparison in production?

View attachment 659281

There's your comparison. Two consecutive seasons where Domi couldn't match Yamo's numbers from last season. Granted he's playing with worse players, but it's not like he hasn't had cold stretches similar to Yamamoto's.

I'm not saying Yamo is a better player than Domi. Just that it's not like it's unprecedented for a guy to go from scoring at 40 point pace to a 30 point pace for a short time.
I was actually quite surprised that Yamamoto was not the piece that was shipped out. Maybe the extra year was a deal breaker for the canes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Dependent on what the status of Yamo is tomorrow after taking that wicked hit, we may be bringing up someone from the farm.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Canes have been looking at PJ for a long time
Yamamoto with his injury issues and 2-year deal has negative trade value, while Pulju's value with his current contract was basically zero. This season we won't be getting rid of Yamamoto's deal without adding a pick.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Yamamoto with his injury issues and 2-year deal has negative trade value, while Pulju's value with his current contract was basically zero. This season we won't be getting rid of Yamamoto's deal without adding a pick.
Yamamoto has more to his head about hockey than Jesse has/had.
But Jesse may be slightly..uhm... better at finnishing than Yamamoto
Yamamoto is the honey badger, warrior, he is a 5"8 grinder.

He has positive value, bitnin the 4th- 5th rnd pick range. 1st round pedigree as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad