Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
But do you ever post on any other threads than ones for JP or discussing Yamo? I don't recall you being active on anything else, so now that JP is gone, I suppose you'll only be on the Yamo ones now until he gets moved. Then what?
I guess you will find out. (It's nice to have fans)

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Why would we buy him out if we needed the cap space? We would just trade him.

If Yamamoto isn't worth $3.1M to us, who would he be worth that to?

Like I said, a trade is the preferred option. But if it isn't going to happen before free agency starts then a buyout is the better option than holding onto him and hurting the team from improving via free agency.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Won't need to buy him out. He's young with an expiring contract and low cap hit. Another team will easily give an asset for him. He's a good player that can play on any line.
Unfortunately this is likely wrong. So many levels. Whether Yama again has a concussion or not almost anybody is seeing how much the concussion history is already impacting both in lost time and in willingness to engage and go to the areas the same way. yama is not the same player he was even last season or earlier in his career. Its unclear he can ever get there again. I don't think so.

We can't even trade him because he was obviously hurt again last night and he's hardly been back. In 7 games back he's already had his bell rung twice. GM's will take note. This is a big cap hit for a player with 6 goals that is regressing.

The "he can play on any line" is also misleading. Yama has had that here because we've been bereft of system winger depth since Chia had firesales here. Thats the only reason Yama has been parked in topsix. Not due to his ability to be there. Fact is he doesn't fit well in topsix. But I can't see him surviving bottomsix role player either. Likelihood is closer than we think yama won't be playing in NHL. Wouldn't surprise me if this contract is it for him.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yamamoto with his injury issues and 2-year deal has negative trade value, while Pulju's value with his current contract was basically zero. This season we won't be getting rid of Yamamoto's deal without adding a pick.

Sincere question and a bit OT, if you’re familiar with Puistola, do you think he could be an NHL player? Seems somewhat promising. Oilers interviewed him at the combine so he might have been someone they wanted back in the trade

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Sincere question and a bit OT, if you’re familiar with Puistola, do you think he could be an NHL player? Seems somewhat promising. Oilers interviewed him at the combine so he might have been someone they wanted back in the trade
No, I don't think so. He is not a good skater, and tends to play with his head down. But he is kind of anti-Pulju, so Jesse's cult haters may end up loving him.

Unfortunately this is likely wrong. So many levels. Whether Yama again has a concussion or not almost anybody is seeing how much the concussion history is already impacting both in lost time and in willingness to engage and go to the areas the same way. yama is not the same player he was even last season or earlier in his career. Its unclear he can ever get there again. I don't think so.

We can't even trade him because he was obviously hurt again last night and he's hardly been back. In 7 games back he's already had his bell rung twice. GM's will take note. This is a big cap hit for a player with 6 goals that is regressing.

The "he can play on any line" is also misleading. Yama has had that here because we've been bereft of system winger depth since Chia had firesales here. Thats the only reason Yama has been parked in topsix. Not due to his ability to be there. Fact is he doesn't fit well in topsix. But I can't see him surviving bottomsix role player either. Likelihood is closer than we think yama won't be playing in NHL. Wouldn't surprise me if this contract is it for him.
morgan.jpg

Last edited:

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
so he should retire?

dude scores a goal and isn't concussed...double whammy of an L for you
Well, how many concussions do you want him to go thru?

The risks of sustaining multiple concussions are serious. Research has shown that people who have multiple concussions are at an increased risk of long-term impairment, such as forgetfulness, “foggy” thinking, difficulty concentrating, balance issues, difficulty focusing and trouble with eyesight.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well, how many concussions do you want him to go thru?
none of my business,...I don't pretend to play doctor and know how his body is doing
The risks of sustaining multiple concussions are serious. Research has shown that people who have multiple concussions are at an increased risk of long-term impairment, such as forgetfulness, “foggy” thinking, difficulty concentrating, balance issues, difficulty focusing and trouble with eyesight.
sure didn't look like it on his goal last night

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Buyout in the off-season is the best path forward. Buys the team a little under $2.7M cap next year with about half a million in cap in 2024-25.
Not sure a buyout is necessary. He’s young enough, that there might be a team willing to take a chance on him.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Whenever something like this gets posted somebdoy will mention Drai suggesting years ago that he likes playing with Yamamoto. But I can't see anything other than short straw in this. Whoever gets Yams on his line going oh f***.

Just my luck as well that Yama will remain here. Even though he adds nothing and doesn't even have hands. Players must've known somemthing was up last night. Yama for once was playing with some jam and getting to net areas something that is rare for him. Presumably trying to justify him not being the one dealt. So looks like we're stuck with him this season and next.

I wouldn't blame Draisaitl for wanting to play with peak "Honey Badger Yams," but the grim reality is that that version of Yams may never be attainable again, mainly due to the concussions (and their multifaceted impact on a player's game).

Reactions: Duke74

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Guessing Yammy was pulled due to NHL protocol. He looked pissed being told to get off the bench

Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
He wasn't even out due to concussion symptoms last time. It was a sore neck.

Edit - which can be just as scary, but not a concussion. By all reports he is not dealing with a concussion as of earlier tonight.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

if not a buyout, a pick can be used to move him to a team that has no aspirations of making the playoffs next year like Arizona or Phoenix.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Buyout in the off-season is the best path forward. Buys the team a little under $2.7M cap next year with about half a million in cap in 2024-25.
No, Yamamoto has done a year now on his new contract and only two years left, next season. He can easily be traded, he is still a useful player. Just in the right level at competition. 3rd liner is what he is. Overpaid by 1 million. Its how it is.

Yamamoto to Chicago for an AHL contract + 6th rounder.

Head injuries are so scary and life altering, lost my best friend to one many years ago.

Hope Yams is alright.

I notice that Arizona is near the cap floor so perhaps that might be a summer destination for him-- a nice place to start over. No scraping the windshield either.
Arizona is a graveyard of cap dumps. Embarassing franchise. Can they even ice two NHL wothy lines?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
No, Yamamoto has done a year now on his new contract and only two years left, next season. He can easily be traded, he is still a useful player. Just in the right level at competition. 3rd liner is what he is. Overpaid by 1 million. Its how it is.

Yamamoto to Chicago for an AHL contract + 6th rounder.

Arizona is a graveyard of cap dumps. Embarassing franchise. Can they even ice two NHL wothy lines?
No doubt that the Arizona franchise should have found a new home in Quebec City by now but Bettman won't let it happen. He has an ego that is beyond description and feels that such a move would be a stain upon his resume.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad